can't play movies on wii

seedreaper

WiiChat Member
Oct 5, 2009
new orleans
Wii Online Code
4322-4432-2344-2222
so I'm new to this site but I've been doing my research. i know that i need to convert the file to mjpeg.avi ,or mjpeg.mov but when i do the wii doesn't even recognize the file. it atleast would recognize the file when it was in xvid, or something it just wouldn't play it. i'm using linux because i can't afford windows so i can't use video-9. so my question is, is it possible that not all wii's can play movies. like i've heard some austrailian models play different formats.
or if somebody has an idea like changing the res or something.

well thanks in advance, apreciate ya tryin to help. :papermario:

so I'm new to this site but I've been doing my research. i know that i need to convert the file to mjpeg.avi ,or mjpeg.mov but when i do the wii doesn't even recognize the file. it atleast would recognize the file when it was in xvid, or something it just wouldn't play it. i'm using linux because i can't afford windows so i can't use video-9. so my question is, is it possible that not all wii's can play movies. like i've heard some austrailian models play different formats.
or if somebody has an idea like changing the res or something.

well thanks in advance, apreciate ya tryin to help. :papermario:

Hmm, seems like you're on the right track as far the video format goes (the manual words it as "File format: Quicktime (motion JPEG) format (MOV) AVI (Motion JPEG) format (AVI)". I've seen some reports that the Wii is very picky about the exact specifications and codec used when converting the video. Do you have any options you can tweak when converting the video? I don't run Linux though, so unfortunately I can't really help as far as software suggestions go, sorry.

not sure dont think so but it would be neat if u could
Someone needs to read their manual...

yeah I do have options. the way it works is like writing msdos. i can change the codec, file format, frames per second and adjust the sound codec and format. one of the reasons i think it's the wii and not linux is because other linux users hovn't had a problem. but i'm wondering if your right about the way the program uses a codec so maybe if i used a different program?
thanks for your help.

Back