Cant the Wii be patched to support HD?

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
There is much speculation going round at the moment as to whether the Wii will support High Definition output later in the consoles life.

Here's a recent quote from Reggie Fils-Aime regarding the topic:

"Tough choices about not including a DVD player at the start, tough choices about not including high-definition capability at the start. That's because we wanted a mass-market price, and we believe the market will validate those decisions come launch day on this Sunday,".

To seek further clarification, gameinformer.com got in contact with a Nintendo rep who said that although such an accomplishment wasn't impossible, Nintendo have no current plans to upgrade the maximum resolution from 480p.

The rep went on to add that Microsoft was able to patch the Xbox 360 to support 1080p.

After all, Nintendo has already released a patch to allow Wii gamers to transfer game saves to SD cards.

Link: Game Informer Online

No its simple.

Reason is cuz of the CPU specs. Yes the Nintendo rocks but with such little cpu theres no way it can run HD unless the game it runs hardly does anything lol.

But I have to say no it never will.

It would have read better if they'd put "At the start there were concerns" rather than the other way around as I feel this is what they meant to say, I agree that the Wii simply does't have the oomph to go up to 720p+

I mean be nice they threw in a 2.0ghz would costs them another 20 bucks maybe if that and made 720 but hey the wii is made the way it is and we all love it anyways. Maybe next time :)

Gran Turismo 4 is able to run in 1080i on the PS2 without any problem. Technically 1080i(540p) only use slightly more processing power than 480p, so with some tweaking the developers should be able to produce 1080i without too much trouble.

Didn't some XBOX games run in 720P? If so then some games for the Wii can be program to run in 720P also considering it's a more powerful consol compare to the Xbox.

I can't see Nintendo going down the path of HD for the Wii, they're probably already looking at a successor to the Wii already. I would suggest just getting your hands on a component cable and a TV with component input and progressive scan - you'll have a really nice and crisp picture without the cost of HD in the Wii console.

MetroidZ said:
wouldn't matter to me, i've got a standard TV.

I think this is one of the main reasons behind Nintendo not going HD. The percentage of people who own an HD TV is not as high as the media make out (those BBC adverts!) and also those that have an HD TV, do you actualy have a spare HD input socket after you've pluged in your SKY+ and HD DVD player??

yeah, it is only about 5% of the population world wide that has a HDTV but they are getting cheaper and more common (I'm not too bothered).

but I won't see much of a graphics leap from the gamecube because my image isn't as crisp as a HDTV.

Personally I really wouldn't all care that much for the HD functionality. I don't have an HD TV, and from what I've seen from my friends 360 and his HD setup, It really doesn't add all that much, and for the price of a decent HDTV, It better actually make the game look good!

Correct me if I am wrong, but at one point wasn't 480P one of the "early" HD modes?

yes and no it kind of is but its more widescreen then hd. I wanted see what a 480 look like before got a wii on my HDTV on 360 for anyone who does not have a wii yet can scale down that low and play a game to check out what wii would look like.

Its not going to look as crisp or clean unless you have a tubed hd tv. then look a bit better at 480 rather then a hd lcd.

Back