Carnival Games Million Seller

Wiily Good

WiiChat Member
Oct 28, 2006
Australia
That's right. Global Star's, "Carnival Games" has sold over 1 million copies world wide according to VG Charts' estimates. This makes it Wii's 18th best selling game.

Described by IGN as, "Midway between mediocrity and misery", and Gamespot as "...overpriced... half baked minigames", it really is sad that 1 million gamers have paid $US40 for this game.

It has constantly been repeated on these forums that when people buy these games they are giving the developers the wrong message, the message that Wii gamers want to play badly implemented minigames. But maybe this isn't the wrong message. When quality games are struggling to sell a couple of hundred thousand and break even, games like Carnival Games are becoming gold mines for its makers.

We, as gamers, have been saying for over a year that casual gamers should stop buying these sorts of games and start buying what more knowledgeable gamers classify as "quality" games. But these gamers who research every purchase for hours and anticipate games for months before release are no longer the majority. If gamers who actually go to games forums, or game sites, never buy a Carnival Games-esque title again in their lives, it is not going to affect the developers. They will continue to pump out their cheap money printing games.

It really does seem to me that Wii Games sales are based on their box-arts more than their content. There are many mini-game collections that are better than Carnival Games but it is the only one (except Mario Party 8), to sell One million copies. Look at its box art. It is colourful. It is bright. It is quite attractive. And it sells 1 million copies. Sad.

As much as I have been worried about the future of gaming, I always know there will be more companies making games for the more traditional gamer base. Companies like Nintendo. I know we have already got games like Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy but what more have we got to look forward to in the year. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart. That's it. They are the only AAA+++ high quality titles that we can "trust", that we can be assured of their quality.

You might say that there are always the other consoles, with their more traditional gamer base, but you can't blame Microsoft and Sony for making their next consoles more suitable for these Carnival Gamers. They are a huge market.

Yes, this was a rant, it initially wasn't supposed to be, so I hope it all makes sense.

I saw a commercial for Carnival Games on TV yesterday so I was thinking: They must have a ton of money off this game to afford the advertisement. Not to angry, there are much worse 3rd party games out there.

I fail to see how that was a rant... on a side note, that's the joys of marketing. Most people won't buy a game if the packaging looks like a piece of paper or cardboard, they'll buy something colourful and motivating (this of course is based on if you haven't tested both games- else marketing fails).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the casual gamer doesn't buy this.

It's more of:

Parent walks in store. Kid wants game.
Parent says,"HM. Carnival Games? You get a bunch of games! AND it's 40 bucks!"
Parent buys game.
Copy of Zack and Wiki weeps as it watches Carnival Games is purchased.

DS scene is worse.
Have you seen how many horsez/hamsterz/petz/vetz games there are?

I was gonna get zack and wiki but i got bwii instead cause i loved the first

oh yeah anyone played mercury meltdown i love it

Back