case that the wii could be secured in and mounted to a wall or something?

dynacrylic

purposless Junior Member
Does anyone know of a case that the wii could be secured in and mounted to a wall or something?

My library has purchased a wii and we need to secure it to something so that it doesn't decide to walk off.

Any ideas appreciated

:) -e

Yeah I'm not sure about mounting the Wii to a wall.. But you can always lock it into a clear plastic case, and leave the key at the front desk..

You probably need an employee to change the games every now and then instead of leaving the games out. Kids can go to the front desk and ask for a different game while the employee would be able to grab the key and swap it out.

You wouldn't want it just mounted to wall, unprotected, because it would be too easy to steal the game that's already inside the machine.

Last edited:
Wait...librarians go hunting. :smilewinkgrin:

I recommend a makeshift wall stand. Mayber a wooden bracket with a plexi-glass shield.

Or you could just put on a platform thats high enough so the kids (and sticky fingers adults) can't possibly reach it. Just have the sensor bar leveled correctly though..

The height thing is not an option as this is a college library.

I'm trying to find something already prebuilt we can by, as opposed to making something.

I'm not to worried about the games as they'll only be able to play the basic wii sports (at least for now).

your best bet is probably the hardware store and build something but since you said that that really isn't an option i'd say try and find out where bestbuy, gamestop and those places get their locking display cases. Another option is to find a store like that that's going out of business as generally they sell their displays and pretty much anything else, CompUSA by me did that a few months ago.
Aside from that is it possible to have the television near the desk or whatever and have the wii itself behind/under the desk? That wouldn't cost any extra money and it seems to be the most basic and easy solution.
I'm sure you can get an acrylic locing case, but if the system is out of view of the employees someone will get it open and swipe it on you.
Make sure also you have people "sign out" the wiimotes, otherwise your library will end up buying a few of those per week i'm sure. Make them leave their student id or something with you at the desk then hand them the controller/nunchuck.

Kyle

Maybe lay the Wii down horizontally. Get some metal brackets and bolt them over the top of the Wii onto some plywood or a shelf. Just make sure the doors for the SD card and controllers, and wiring isn't blocked.

Roughly our plans are to mount/secure the wii to something. It will be kept in a locked room which the student (or whoever) will be able to have access to; the room is fairly large and can easily accommodates 4 flinging arms . Instead of a tv we've decided to use a projector (for life-size fun).

the wii motes, nun chucks and the wireless sensor bar can be checkout out at the desk. we also bought the recharging batteries for them to.

@smyth, thanks for the compusa idea! i think we might just try and contact them (or a similar place) to see if they have any used displays for sale.

I wouldn't actually advice securing the Wii to any surface. The Wii will often vibrate slightly when you are playing a game, so the case could easily hit against any metal pieces that are used to secure it and cause scratches to appear on the surface of the outer case.
A glass box of some sort, like those seen inside game shops, would be the best choice for this kind of situation.

no problem.
If you have any local department or game store shutting down i'm sure you can find something if they're selling their fixtures. Or call their corporate office and see if they'll tell you where they get them from. Worst thing they can do is say "no we can't tell you that".
Inestead of getting just brackets to secure it i would get some kind of case and secure it over it for the reasons that byuakuya mentioned. and maybe have an opening in the case for the power/reset buttons. if you aren't changing games in the wii you won't really need a case that opens easily. and if you do use just metal brackets just make sure that you pad them and leave a few millimeters of space for the "shake". the way i would do that is put 2 brackets going across eache way on a peice of plywood or shelf or something. Chosen properly and properly installed you could situate them so that you have use of all the functions except the gamecube controller/memory card slots.
If you want i can quickly draw a diagram in Paint, but i'm pretty sure you'll get what i'm saying. still though i think you're best bet would be a formidable locking cabinet.

kyle

just found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-TAPERED...ryZ67703QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it looks like if you take the shelves out and drill some holes for the cables that'll do that job for you. With something like that though just remember if someone really wants to they can get it out of there, so i'd still keep an eye on people in that room and check the room after each person is done. sucks that you can't trust people these days.

Last edited:
smyth said:
no problem.
If you have any local department or game store shutting down i'm sure you can find something if they're selling their fixtures. Or call their corporate office and see if they'll tell you where they get them from. Worst thing they can do is say "no we can't tell you that".
Inestead of getting just brackets to secure it i would get some kind of case and secure it over it for the reasons that byuakuya mentioned. and maybe have an opening in the case for the power/reset buttons. if you aren't changing games in the wii you won't really need a case that opens easily. and if you do use just metal brackets just make sure that you pad them and leave a few millimeters of space for the "shake". the way i would do that is put 2 brackets going across eache way on a peice of plywood or shelf or something. Chosen properly and properly installed you could situate them so that you have use of all the functions except the gamecube controller/memory card slots.
If you want i can quickly draw a diagram in Paint, but i'm pretty sure you'll get what i'm saying. still though i think you're best bet would be a formidable locking cabinet.

kyle

just found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-TAPERED...ryZ67703QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it looks like if you take the shelves out and drill some holes for the cables that'll do that job for you. With something like that though just remember if someone really wants to they can get it out of there, so i'd still keep an eye on people in that room and check the room after each person is done. sucks that you can't trust people these days.

thanks for all the suggestions smyth

I contacted a couple stores and they recommended I call Nintendo. I called 3 different numbers at Nintendo, one being their front desk, and eventually got transfered to their Nintendo Wii Retailer Display hotline. There I was told that only certain retailers could purchase the display unit.

I called a gamestop and one of the clerks said he would contact his nintendo sales rep. i got his message this morning and even he said that neither he or his nintendo rep could sell a nintendo display.

Looks like we'll have to make something :(

Back