Castro Steps Down!

The Man on Ice
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro, who ruled the country for nearly half a century, announced Tuesday that he is stepping down as president.

In a written statement, published on the official Communist party's website Granma, Castro said he would not accept a new term as president when the newly elected parliament meets on Sunday.

"I will not aspire nor accept, I repeat, I will not aspire or accept — the post of president of the council of state and commander in chief," read the letter signed by the 81-year-old president.

Although there has been much speculation about his position as leader since he fell ill in July 2006, there had been no advance warning of Castro's plan to permanently give up power.

The new National Assembly is meeting Sunday for first time since January elections to pick the governing council of state, including the presidency Castro holds.

Castro had temporarily relinquished power to his 76-year-old brother Raul on July 31, 2006, when he announced that he had undergone intestinal surgery. Raul had long been his brother's designated successor.
Source.

I'm quite saddened by this, I rather like the man. Almost as Charismatic as Jean Chretién. The future of Cuba will be a pretty odd one, possible democracy?

I heard this on the radio when I woke up. Wow, I wonder if his brother is going to be as unstoppable as he was. Cause Castro just wouldn't die for the longest time.. I wonder if he's going to die now? But I doubt they will go to democracy.

Yep, big news. From what I read, his brother Raul is not much different from Fidel so I don't expect radical change.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The L.S said:
Nah, its said his brother will be worse then he was.

His brother has been pretty much running the country ever since Fidel was ill anyone.

Viva La Revolution No More? Che, Che, Bye.

La revolucion ha muerto, mis queridos compatriotas. Fidel Castro ha sido castrado en su puesto.

{Axtlár} said:
La revolucion ha muerto, mis queridos compatriotas. Fidel Castro ha sido castrado en su puesto.

I stopped reading after the revolution is dead. That much I got. The rest needs a translation....

My Fellow Cubans, REVOLUCION

cuban-flag-old.gif

I said "Castro has been castrated..." ...metaphorically of course

{Axtlár} said:
I said "Castro has been castrated..." ...metaphorically of course

The thought process went into that is killing me:lol:

Hey "comrades", you do realise this is a guy who forced his way into power, stagnated his country's growth, and imprisoned anyone who dared to suggest voting for their leaders? Alright, he's nowhere near as bad as Stalin, but why are so upset about him stepping down?

Napalmbrain said:
Hey "comrades", you do realise this is a guy who forced his way into power, stagnated his country's growth, and imprisoned anyone who dared to suggest voting for their leaders? Alright, he's nowhere near as bad as Stalin, but why are so upset about him stepping down?

He was a revolutionary icon? The fact that he has been so damn resilient?

Back