Casual Gamers, Wiis biggest enemy?

First, I think casual gamers are NOT Wiis biggest enemy - I don't thinkn they are an enemy at all. I think Nintendo sees its success among casual games as a way to make more people interested in hardcore gaming. Therefore, people that played only casual games will try out hardcore games, because they have already bought the console. Even in a family that includes non-games, casual gamers and a hardcore gamer - if they bought a Wii for all the gamers in the family then I bet the non-games and the casual gamers will also want to try out some hardcore gaming. The more people that play it, the more the console gets popular, and so, the more people hear about it and buy it. Nintendo is trying to make gaming a common thing, and fighting the geeky lable of gamers.

Shiftfallout said:
not at all kiddo.

I wouldnt be able to take a steak dinner seriously if it was served in the shape of a happy face with lettuce hair, bright blue bbq sauce and a glass of milk in a cartoon decorated flimsy plastic cup.

:ciappa: for you kiddo.

Please dont call me kiddo. Its hypocritically childish and very patronising.

I think the difference between me and you is that if I ordered an expensive steak dinner and it was served in the shape of a happy face with lettuce hair and milk in a cartoon plastic flimsy cup I would find it endearing. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
haha I have never seen someone run so off course as you have just now.
Again you have to keep in mind that as someone else has said in here, the wii is risking becoming viewed as as TOO kiddie. In this case, what content appeals to kids most will show up more often while at the same time it will alienate those might not want that in a sports game. Nintendo is trying to go E for Everything. E is everyone. The problem with going for EVERYONE for EVERYTITLE is that you will attract one group of people while ejecting another. Like the saying say, if you go for two rabbits at once, you lose them both, but if you for for one at a time you will succeed.

You bought the wii. Hey even I bought the Wii. But then with an E system, games should appeal to certain groups. By ordering that "dinner" you get whats on the plate, even if it alienates the viewer. True you do not have to order the dinner to begin with, but then if you did that, the restaurant wouldnt make money and you would be hungry. In that case you might go to another food joint. In other words, customers will migrate from the Wii to another console. Did it register yet?

by the way, how many times have you been banned? I think people are getting tired of tacos already.

If a kiddy looking mini game puts the entire game at risk of being too kiddy for you, I really think that you bought the wrong system. As a Wii owner, you should have at least some tolerance for the kiddy look. You knew that Nintendo has been and will be all about that style. (Unless you were mislead, and bought your Wii thinking it was a hard core gamer system.)

As for going for EVERYONE, I don't think Nintendo needs any help in that area. By looking at the sales of systems, they seem to be doing alright. And it looks like all types of people are buying them. I personally know a 45 year old lady, a handicapped adult (who could never previously play games), and a first time console buyer, who all have Wii's.

Again, you knew what was on the plate before you ordered, so you have no room to complain. And I hate to tell you, but this restaurant has already made their money off of you. At the Nintendo restaurant, they make money from the money you pay just to get in the door, you don't even need to order a single item off of the menu. And it's not like they haven't given you a wide variety of options on that menu. You have no excuse for being hungry.

So, like you said....

you might go to another food joint. In other words, customers will migrate from the Wii to another console. Did it register yet?

by the way, how many times have you been banned? I think people are getting tired of tacos already.

Well, I guess it's time for you to move on to another food joint. You might want to migrate over to the Mexican place across town, I heard they have great TACOS. The people are all talking about them.

Also, call me kiddo, call me a casual gamer, call me what you want, but this thread made me look into this game, and I am really excited for this....

fifa-soccer-08-20070614094534816.jpg

I guess that is one of the mini games that they added on.

I guess I'm a casual gamer as I do something else for a living!

I only play my Wii on weekends, or a quick game of tennis when I get in. Having said this I bought 2 games last week and can't wait to get stuck in to them.

I think first and foremost the Wii was designed for fun, the adverts and Wii Sports show this. But when games like Mario et al come along we'll see how much more of a serious gaming console it can be. The 360 sells a lot of games and theres a wide selection available to suit most peoples interests. Give the Wii until Christmas when that also has a wide selection and maybe Wii owners will buy the most games.

Games like Mario, Resident Evil, Scarface, Metroid, SSBB and even games available to the XBox/PS3 but with Wii controls may poach gamers from Sony & Microsoft or at least convince them to buy a Wii alongside their other console.

OK this thread is making me laugh..first the food analogies then the guy using some rabbit-hunting one? "Be vewy quiet..we're hunting wabbits!" It's like he just finished some english studies course in school and is trying to show it off, but not very well!:lol:

I, for one, agree that Nintendo has always catered to the casual gamer, as well as the regular gamer. And I go way back to the NES days. Sure it is taking some time right now for the Wii to have more games come out for 'hardcore' gamers, but they will.

TacosTacosTacosTacosTacos said:
If a kiddy looking mini game puts the entire game at risk of being too kiddy for you, I really think that you bought the wrong system. As a Wii owner, you should have at least some tolerance for the kiddy look. You knew that Nintendo has been and will be all about that style. (Unless you were mislead, and bought your Wii thinking it was a hard core gamer system.)

As for going for EVERYONE, I don't think Nintendo needs any help in that area. By looking at the sales of systems, they seem to be doing alright. And it looks like all types of people are buying them. I personally know a 45 year old lady, a handicapped adult (who could never previously play games), and a first time console buyer, who all have Wii's.

Again, you knew what was on the plate before you ordered, so you have no room to complain. And I hate to tell you, but this restaurant has already made their money off of you. At the Nintendo restaurant, they make money from the money you pay just to get in the door, you don't even need to order a single item off of the menu. And it's not like they haven't given you a wide variety of options on that menu. You have no excuse for being hungry.

So, like you said....

Well, I guess it's time for you to move on to another food joint. You might want to migrate over to the Mexican place across town, I heard they have great TACOS. The people are all talking about them.

ok, thanks for agreeing with me.

You basically just reworded my entire argument in a semi retarded manner. If nintendo wants to attract the non kiddy gamers or those who are not full on casual gamers, they need to change their image a bit. NO where have I said nintendo is bad, but I do stand by the FACT that nintendo made some moves that made the more money rather than offer better gaming.

My wii collects dust, thats fine. I dont care. Why is this? because they have not made any games worth playing yet or that attracts me as a gamer. I never denied this. I made my choice as other gamers will make their choice.
It doesnt make sense to go after everyone in ONE game when it will allienate half of the gamers out here.

As for your nintendo getting money already from you. Put it this way, you walk into the restaurant, they give you a table and some chips/bread/free appetizer. Thats the wiisports combo. Thats it, but the real money, the money that those businesses want come from the actual order or rather games. So just getting you into the door doesnt matter.

Next time, if are going to try and debate, it usually helps to offer substance rather than just reword my argument and try to point it back at me. Gee that was smart. :lol:

islandvic said:
OK this thread is making me laugh..first the food analogies then the guy using some rabbit-hunting one? "Be vewy quiet..we're hunting wabbits!" It's like he just finished some english studies course in school and is trying to show it off, but not very well!:lol:

I, for one, agree that Nintendo has always catered to the casual gamer, as well as the regular gamer. And I go way back to the NES days. Sure it is taking some time right now for the Wii to have more games come out for 'hardcore' gamers, but they will.

Er... nope. The analogies are entertaining for sure, but if you dont get the relevance or the meaning behind them, then you have no room to be showing off your lack of logic comprehension. You apparently have not gotten out of the wiichat section of this forum. I hate to tell ya, but my university degree has been hanging on my wall for a couple years now. I dont need to show off, but when I make a statement I like to BACK IT UP with logic. Something maybe you should try sometime.

Also to correct you, NO nintendo has NOT always catered to the casual gamer AND the NON-casual gamer. There is no such thing as a regular gamer. Mainly, nintendo had focused on the non-casual gamer during its days with the snes. This is when they had square soft make an rpg using the mario franchise, which later evolved into the kid friendly paper mario series. Many of the snes games were rpgs and various other games not suitible for the quick casual player. Thats not to say they ignored the casual gamer, but the snes was perhaps their most balanced system in history. I also go back to the nes days, and have seen every console released after. There is a reason I shifted more towards PC gaming, thats due to allienation of non-casual gamers in the console market.

Keep it up champ.

Last edited:
I can see what point you are trying to get across with your analogies, but you are really messing them up with your grammar and mixed messages.

And there have always been various types of games for every gamer since back in NES, and moreso, the SNES days. Which is why I don't agree with the subject of this thread. You also back up your statements with your own sense of logic, which, quite frankly if you haven't been able to notice..no one is sharing. Maybe you need to brush up on what you learned what with those degrees gathering dust on the walls for some time now, which of course you didn't need to brag about :crazy:

islandvic said:
I can see what point you are trying to get across with your analogies, but you are really messing them up with your grammar and mixed messages.

And there have always been various types of games for every gamer since back in NES, and moreso, the SNES days. Which is why I don't agree with the subject of this thread. You also back up your statements with your own sense of logic, which, quite frankly if you haven't been able to notice..no one is sharing. Maybe you need to brush up on what you learned what with those degrees gathering dust on the walls for some time now, which of course you didn't need to brag about :crazy:

bad grammar? lol

its a forum, not a senior thesis. I type the way I do, and I do it fast. As an author writes with his style, so I write with my personal style. Notice, this isnt a forum for elitist academic minded hippies who flip out over anything they consider incorrect in terms of how one writes. Keep it up. Your elitism is almost rubbing off on me.

The only problem your having is not being able to follow my train of thought. It takes two to tango in this case, me for not being articulate enough for you to comprehend it, and you for having the inability to understand and piece together my message. There are others who can follow me, and a few of them on this forum have been 14 years of age. SO what does that say about you?

Last edited:
For fear of jumping into a flame war - I can't read this and sit on my hands - it was an intelligent funny thread at one point but it's all getting a little heated so to speak....Sfo to take this particular comment...

Shiftfallout said:
As for your nintendo getting money already from you. Put it this way, you walk into the restaurant, they give you a table and some chips/bread/free appetizer. Thats the wiisports combo. Thats it, but the real money, the money that those businesses want come from the actual order or rather games. So just getting you into the door doesnt matter.

This isn't an entirely accurate analogy of Wiisports. Sport as a free bundle with the Wii is meant to let you know what the CONTROL SYSTEM is about (knife and fork) not the standard of titles to come (main meal) on a whole - in a restaurant you normally have one or two chefs - with gaming systems you have thousands. Sports represented what was / is new and exciting about Nintendos latest dish - NOT what the main meal may or not taste like. I will back this up by saying the fact that your Wii is collecting dust just proves this quantifiably. You knew the starter was free and good but you didn't have a clue if the main meal was upto the same delicious standard!!

Shiftfallout said:
Next time, if are going to try and debate, it usually helps to offer substance rather than just reword my argument and try to point it back at me. Gee that was smart. :lol:

Er... nope. The analogies are entertaining for sure, but if you dont get the relevance or the meaning behind them,...[abridged]..., but when I make a statement I like to BACK IT UP with logic. Something maybe you should try sometime.

Also to correct you, NO nintendo has NOT always catered to the casual gamer AND the NON-casual gamer.

Nintendo - like the myriad of other gaming systems out there - either historically or currently, have always wanted to bring non-gamers into the market, they couldn't survive with just the hardcore fan base - however before you tell me to back this up with some substance; they had not attempted it with such a high profile as with Wii and hence is harder to define. I'm not going to attempt it with titles, as to be shot down in flames for my troubles isn't the point of my post. What I will do is clarify what I think that "pulling in non-gamers means" - straight and simple on the whole: Multi-player...! Most of the Wii games which aim to drag non-gamers in are quite simply multi-player games which can be dipped in and out of at will by anyone. You can't tell me Nintendo didn't release a few of these over the years....can you?

There is no such thing as a regular gamer.

Going on your previous statement - what do you define as a regular gamer?

I would certainly label myself as one going on the basis that I have been gaming for 20+ years, owned many systems but never been really obsessive (apart from the DS now -man it's a great system) and have dropped out of the whole games market for years at a time in some cases. I don't sit there fretting about not finishing Zelda or worrying about my high scores on Sonic. I'm not really a massive fan of overly complicated titles and have little patience with the Metroid style shooter. I don't really try and turn others into gamers but I do read the magazines and online sites when I have the time. I think that about sums up regular to me.

On the other hand I am a casual drinker, meaning that I sometimes only wear jeans and t-shirt when I go out socially (joke)

Last edited:
guitarguy9 said:
Hahahaha... no.

etc etc
Good post. Repped you for it.

I completely agree with Guitarguy9

Ofcourse casual gamers wont buy twilight princes and mp3 or brawl. Those arent really casual games. With brawl being in a middle area.

But games like Wiiplay and Wiisports sell. Just look at the numbers. Marioparty8 and Wiiplay are the 2 top most selling games. Proves something doesnt it?

cyberzomby said:
Good post. Repped you for it.

I completely agree with Guitarguy9

Ofcourse casual gamers wont buy twilight princes and mp3 or brawl. Those arent really casual games. With brawl being in a middle area.

But games like Wiiplay and Wiisports sell. Just look at the numbers. Marioparty8 and Wiiplay are the 2 top most selling games. Proves something doesnt it?

I really dont think so. Granted Mario Party 8 hasnt been released this side of the Atlantic so I dont know about that.

I hope in the coming months and years Im forced to eat my words. Nice to see the heated debate on this thread.
Wii Sports was shipped with the console, so how can that sell.

I think people are fooling themselves if they think thta Wii Play sold for any other reason than the free controller.

madbeanman said:
Wii Sports was shipped with the console, so how can that sell.

Sadly, the Japanese have to buy Wiisports as it isn't bundled with their Wii's; this could be what he meant.

Back