Casual Gamers, Wiis biggest enemy?

The thread doesnt really apply to the Japanese market. The 360 aint got a hope there (for whatever reason) and at its present price neither does the PS3. Nintendo rules Japan and the DS and Wii dominate the charts.

madbeanman said:
The thread doesnt really apply to the Japanese market. The 360 aint got a hope there (for whatever reason) and at its present price neither does the PS3. Nintendo rules Japan and the DS and Wii dominate the charts.

its not that the japanese do not like the sony's product, its that they have no need to buy it yet. THe japanese are very efficient, often simplistic people. I have lived with them for a number of years as well as used to speak the language. Right now the situation is, is that in japan the xbox is a foreign entity and therefor not really supportet. There is Sony and Nintendo that have the japanese ineterested. The thing is, the wii is selling because its cheap and easy, where as the ps3 is an investment. You will find a lot of japanese marketing, media, and attention on the ps3 and its capabilities, but the consumer market hasnt taken the ps3 as of yet due to the fact that these projects that "wow" the japanese, are not yet complete. Again, its that why buy when its not ready yet type of senarios. Its easier to blow very little on a system, but when you have to think about buying a console, you want to wait till theres a good reason to do so. IN this case, even though the gundam wing was one of the top selling games in japan for the ps3, the ps3 by itself is still in production. (home, games, and homebrew). Its one of those things that picks up over time and not immediately.

Ok but nintendo has had more loyalty in Japan than anywhere else. Also u have to agree that it isnt just lack of development that deters the Japanese from buying the PS3 look at the handhelds. Price must have something to do with it along with gameplay.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
its not that the japanese do not like the sony's product, its that they have no need to buy it yet. THe japanese are very efficient, often simplistic people. I have lived with them for a number of years as well as used to speak the language. Right now the situation is, is that in japan the xbox is a foreign entity and therefor not really supportet. There is Sony and Nintendo that have the japanese ineterested. The thing is, the wii is selling because its cheap and easy, where as the ps3 is an investment. You will find a lot of japanese marketing, media, and attention on the ps3 and its capabilities, but the consumer market hasnt taken the ps3 as of yet due to the fact that these projects that "wow" the japanese, are not yet complete. Again, its that why buy when its not ready yet type of senarios. Its easier to blow very little on a system, but when you have to think about buying a console, you want to wait till theres a good reason to do so. IN this case, even though the gundam wing was one of the top selling games in japan for the ps3, the ps3 by itself is still in production. (home, games, and homebrew).Its one of those things that picks up over time and not immediately.

Sfo - Do you make anything of the recent sales figures of the DS / PSP in Japan (DS Lite - 117,193 / PSP - 24,711) - I personally would've thought that the PSP would have sold more in hardware from an early on perspective due to it's more advanced technology (i.e. large impressive screen, out of the box connectivity to the www, UMD). I supposed I guessed that more functionality would have rocked the Japaneses' boat, so to speak.

Now, after becoming a recent DS total and utter convert, I can surmise from your post that the DS appeals because of it's simple yet totally effective game style (touch screen) with uncomplicated titles with charm and humour.
Or is it just down to price point?? I suspect not...or is it that, like the PS3 as you have mentioned, it has not been fully embraced technologically.

Is this what you are expressing - I am very surprised and pleased that DS is doing so well worldwide. I can't 100% put my finger on it but DS has a charm that is quite addictive. After all the entire Japanese gaming public can't be wrong. :smilewinkgrin:

Rolex said:
Sfo - Do you make anything of the recent sales figures of the DS / PSP in Japan (DS Lite - 117,193 / PSP - 24,711) - I personally would've thought that the PSP would have sold more in hardware from an early on perspective due to it's more advanced technology (i.e. large impressive screen, out of the box connectivity to the www, UMD). I supposed I guessed that more functionality would have rocked the Japaneses' boat, so to speak.

Now, after becoming a recent DS total and utter convert, I can surmise from your post that the DS appeals because of it's simple yet totally effective game style (touch screen) with uncomplicated titles with charm and humour.
Or is it just down to price point?? I suspect not...or is it that, like the PS3 as you have mentioned, it has not been fully embraced technologically.

Is this what you are expressing - I am very surprised and pleased that DS is doing so well worldwide. I can't 100% put my finger on it but DS has a charm that is quite addictive. After all the entire Japanese gaming public can't be wrong. :smilewinkgrin:

Nice post rep

madbeanman said:
Nice post rep

Thanks man - I really am interested as to the phenomenon of the DS over the PSP; especially in Japan; I'd love a further insight maybe.

You have got to say - seeing as we are / were discussing "Causal Gamers" that it's quite pertinent that the DS (a casual gamers machine) has exploded against the; on paper; much more advanced PSP?!!?

I personally think that all the big 3 consoles out there have something different to offer all levels of gamers. It's just that there seems only Nintendo at the minute prepared to invest openly in recruiting them. Also I am in genuine awe of the control system - aren't you all??

Last edited:
I thought it was an arguement that although the PS3 has advanced capabilities it may not win over the Wiis innovation in the same way as the PSP and DS.

If your genuinely looking for a reason for the DSs trimph. I believe (even thoughn I have a PSP and dont own a DS) that some find the PSPs capabilities a bit daunting. You have to learn about formating songs and videos, capatable file types etc. People look for different things in portables than handhelds. Handhelds need to be ultra accessable (control wise) sleek and portable.

Also before this gen Nintendo had basically no competition. People automatically think of Nintendo when they think of handhelds. The brand has a lot of staying power. Im sure I could be wrong

Last edited:
You have to remember tho.
Nintendo KNEW what was being released around about the same time as the Wii.

Their strategy was clever. Think about it.......

Nintendo KNEW that there was no way they was going to build a console as powewrful as the PS3. (incl. X360)
They released the GC 2 years AFTER the PS2 had dominated itself, resulting in the GC being a flop.
So...in order to turn that around, they created the Wii and released it prior to the PS3 being released. People had already had enough of their PS2's in anticipation for 7 years in waiting for the PS3. The Wii to the consumer was new, different to any console (motion sensor), & cheap.
This is the reason why their sales were through the roof pretty much from the word 'Go'.
Due to this, word of mouth goes around, all the kids at school are talking about it making other kids want one.
As I said, Nintendo knew tehy wouldnt win the game wars based on consoles say, enhanced graphic features but knew if they released a console on a slightly different level to what the consumer is used to then they knew there was a good chance to break into the market, and thats exactly what happened.

Also, I dont think Nintendo has ever really gone for a console to be better graphic wise than any conpetitor but more along the lines of the most fun console.

K-Linerz said:
You have to remember tho.
Nintendo KNEW what was being released around about the same time as the Wii.

Their strategy was clever. Think about it.......

Nintendo KNEW that there was no way they was going to build a console as powewrful as the PS3. (incl. X360)
They released the GC 2 years AFTER the PS2 had dominated itself, resulting in the GC being a flop.
So...in order to turn that around, they created the Wii and released it prior to the PS3 being released. People had already had enough of their PS2's in anticipation for 7 years in waiting for the PS3. The Wii to the consumer was new, different to any console (motion sensor), & cheap.
This is the reason why their sales were through the roof pretty much from the word 'Go'.
Due to this, word of mouth goes around, all the kids at school are talking about it making other kids want one.
As I said, Nintendo knew tehy wouldnt win the game wars based on consoles say, enhanced graphic features but knew if they released a console on a slightly different level to what the consumer is used to then they knew there was a good chance to break into the market, and thats exactly what happened.

Also, I dont think Nintendo has ever really gone for a console to be better graphic wise than any conpetitor but more along the lines of the most fun console.

Good Points but I dont really see what or who your arguing with here.

Rolex said:

I really cant seem to understand the DS phenominon myself. Though, what it comes down to, and you will find a lot of mention of this in professional reviews, is that the DS feels like a toy where as the PSP feels like a high tech gadget. It is easier to buy toys than it is say, a blackberry. The DS is dominated by kids as well, its something parents will love to get their kids to shut them up while they are driving or out and about.

Its like the CG movie phenominon. Why do all CG movies like, CARS, FINDING NEMO, SHARK TALE...ect why do they do so well? I mean they really are not all that original in terms of plot progression or story. Some of them are actually quite bad, but they blow the box office. Because people take their kids and family to see them, because it exists in the form that it does. Same with the DS.

The PSP is like a nice car you want to keep in the garage, not out every day on the road. This mentality slows its sales, and also there is the fact that most people do not know how to take full advantage of the PSP. The psp is a piece of technological genius, it can do so much but very few realize this nor are they tech savey enough to utilize it. The Homebrew scene has really taken off in western continents, north america and europe, but japan doesnt see as much of it.

The japanese still love sony, I belive they love sony more than they do nintendo to be honest. But nintendo is more marketable with known characters. Its the difference between a toy and a machine. Sony comes off as a business, where as nintendo comes off as an amusement park. You also have to understand, japan has one of the most simple minded consumer audience on the face of this planet. Its huge, but they are attracted to gimmicky things, colorful commercials, cheesy adverts. Nintendo knows how to market to the easily influenced japanese market, and it shows.

Personally, I dont care which unit sells more. For me its what can a unit do, and what does it do for gaming. The psp is rock awsome, but the toy beats the technological device because of how its percieved.

K-Linerz said:

They have. They used to go for the top of the line stuff, when battling for bits was the thing. For example, the ps1 was 32 bits, where as nintendo pushed hard to have a 64bit system. The game cube also tried to stay up with the tech, but that failed. Sony did good to use a cd based system that was simple and cheap to produce. Ninty was never known for being easy to work with in terms of developers, they are trying to change that now. Finally they are using NORMAL sized dvds rather than wierd shaped storagemediums (they were not popular.. cartriges and minidvds). Anyways, Nintendo's loss with the game cube set them up to release the game cube 2 with a twist, it has a different image and controller. This is their comeback with the GC failure, same product, different spin. It works, but it is 5 years outdated.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
I really cant seem to understand the DS phenominon myself. Though, what it comes down to, and you will find a lot of mention of this in professional reviews, is that the DS feels like a toy where as the PSP feels like a high tech gadget. It is easier to buy toys than it is say, a blackberry. The DS is dominated by kids as well, its something parents will love to get their kids to shut them up while they are driving or out and about.

Its like the CG movie phenominon. Why do all CG movies like, CARS, FINDING NEMO, SHARK TALE...ect why do they do so well? I mean they really are not all that original in terms of plot progression or story. Some of them are actually quite bad, but they blow the box office. Because people take their kids and family to see them, because it exists in the form that it does. Same with the DS.

The PSP is like a nice car you want to keep in the garage, not out every day on the road. This mentality slows its sales, and also there is the fact that most people do not know how to take full advantage of the PSP. The psp is a piece of technological genius, it can do so much but very few realize this nor are they tech savey enough to utilize it. The Homebrew scene has really taken off in western continents, north america and europe, but japan doesnt see as much of it.

The japanese still love sony, I belive they love sony more than they do nintendo to be honest. But nintendo is more marketable with known characters. Its the difference between a toy and a machine. Sony comes off as a business, where as nintendo comes off as an amusement park. You also have to understand, japan has one of the most simple minded consumer audience on the face of this planet. Its huge, but they are attracted to gimmicky things, colorful commercials, cheesy adverts. Nintendo knows how to market to the easily influenced japanese market, and it shows.

Personally, I dont care which unit sells more. For me its what can a unit do, and what does it do for gaming. The psp is rock awsome, but the toy beats the technological device because of how its percieved.

I thimk you are being slight patronising to the Japanese but like I said I agree that few utilise the potential value of the PSP. If you pack too much technology into a console people it can put some people off.

Also it isnt just in Japan that the DS is kicking ass. The trend is repeated (if not to such a large extent across the world).

Brawny said:
Ahem....online and 3rd party support plagued the GC...

WTF are you on about? The wii is running a risk of a Kiddy image atm. Casual gamers are it's bread and butter.

You should've made this thread on how we NEED more hardcore stuff....

kiddie? OMG... Your saying the wii is Kiddie? there are M rated games on the wii. Do ten year olds buy M rated games for wii? do 9 year olds play "the godfather" for the wii? or is that "Kiddie" too, hmmm? i dare anyone to prove that's kiddie...

i think ill make a thread about this... i'll pm u when it's done.

madbeanman said:
I thimk you are being slight patronising to the Japanese but like I said I agree that few utilise the potential value of the PSP. If you pack too much technology into a console people it can put some people off.

Also it isnt just in Japan that the DS is kicking ass. The trend is repeated (if not to such a large extent across the world).

Not at all. Im just stating it how it is. I lived with japanese for awhile, used to speak the language fairly ok, and even studied up on the media and popular culture in japan. I even talked to the author of the Ring and also the guy responsible for the Parasite Eve franchise. I hooked them up with a movie studio to possibly work on some projects, unfortunately I wasnt careful and another producer took the project and ran off with it. Sadly thats how it works in this industry. But to get to the point, I have a fairly good understanding on how the japanese popular culture works and how the marketing falls into place. They have a whole culture based off cell phones and how they are marketed... its amazing but also very simple. They really are simple people, not in a bad way, but in a focused way.

Here watch a video I made when I was just starting college. I was speaking japanese so much around these people, and that I even started speaking bad english (which you can hear in the video). LOL. My roomates could only understand it if I spoke like they did, or in japanese. Its amazing how speaking a certain way can impare you if you are not careful. lol

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JvL7O497sk[/MEDIA]

I think your video proves they are a quirky and imaginative race which is why I believe they like Nintendo.

Back