CDC survey suggests gamers less healthy, more depressed than non-gamers

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
The average age of a gamer is starting to edge higher. Gamers are also less healthy and more depressed than those who don't partake in our particular brand of entertainment. That's what a CDC survey suggests, at least.

A total of 500 adults aged 19 to 90 in the Seattle-Tacoma area of Washington state were surveyed by the government agency. The are was chosen since it reportedly has the highest internet usage level in the US and is one of the larger media markets.

Over 45% of the respondents reported that they played video games, with their average age at 35. Female gamers were found to be more depressed and less healthy compared to female non-gamers, while male gamers had a higher body mass index and a greater reliance on the internet than non-gamers.

What do you guys think? Sound off in the comments section.

heres the link http://wii.qj.net/CDC-survey-suggests-gamers-less-healthy-more-depressed-than-non-gamers/pg/49/aid/133902

Video games is not the cause of depression, might be more factors, and if you play video games u might still be healthy, ie wii sports active, ea's grand slam tennis, wii fitness, punchout wii, and u could still go to the gym or walk or run laps. PS and 360 owners can also be healthy too. i dunno i might havead is artical wrong.

heres the link http://wii.qj.net/CDC-survey-suggests-gamers-less-healthy-more-depressed-than-non-gamers/pg/49/aid/133902

Video games is not the cause of depression, might be more factors, and if you play video games u might still be healthy, ie wii sports active, ea's grand slam tennis, wii fitness, punchout wii, and u could still go to the gym or walk or run laps. PS and 360 owners can also be healthy too. i dunno i might havead is artical wrong.

Yeah i believe that i'm really unhealthy & depressed & i play Video games atleast 10hours a day

The only reason I'm depressed is that I'm stuck in nowhereland with my "housemates" of various mental disorders, with a rather hindering physical disability and no mode of transportation to call my own(f-ck social life... or independence). My schooling is pointless considering everyone home is dirt poor. I'm afraid of leaving the people at home(one is sure to go nuts after we others leave) alone even though I made it quite clear that I hold no sympathy or respect for them and the only place to go to is a place with a micromanaging stereotypical Jewish step-parent. I myself am overly caustic, analytical, unappreciative, and self-loathing as a result.

If you'd like to blame this all on gaming go right ahead, you bastard.

Whew! Thanks for the crap thread to vent on. Make of this whatever you will. Have a good day all, and remember: don't take bullsh-t surveys.

video games help my depression. they allow me to escape. chronic pain takes its toll when you can't ever escape it.

Good job CDC, you figured out something none of us knew.

*clap* *clap*

Before you know it, people will be saying people who are in war are depressed and aren't healthy, compared to those who are not.

Sure hope that was sarcasm.
Good, it was.

Newsflash: F-ckloads of people are depressed. One thing we must learn in life is that it's likely our fault for looking at the world in such negative light. Problem is, I can't find the positive lightswitch.

Last edited:
Coming up

Another survey that says that people think that all gamers dont have social life's

Coming up

Another survey that says that people think that all gamers dont have social life's
damn you found out.

well when i'm not working or with my girlfriend i usually am playing games. and i'm not depresses. slightly overwieght but not enough that i'd say unhealthy. the survey probably picked like a 100 fatsos and said they're unhealthy cause they play games.

Back