Change the language on my Japanese Wii to English?

craigistop

WiiChat Member
Feb 18, 2007
I'm a Brit living in Japan and would like to know if it is possible to change the language on my Japanese Wii to English. Is there such a setting? I'd really appreciate any help.

this screen is not on the Japanese Wii. I want to change from Japanese to English. thanks for looking for me though :smilewinkgrin:

Erm well I can give you directs on how to change the language to english on my UK wii, never know the menu screens might be the same

Bottom left button (Wii)
Right button (has a spanner on it under it is a few words saying wii settings)
go on the right arrow 2 times to get to page 3 and its the first one
Button saying ENglish

I've got the same problem. Non native Japanese with a Japanese Wii. Unfortunately I followed the guide to changing the language according to Nintendo's site, but on the page three section where it should be the options "Language", "Country" and "Wii System Memory", there are only 2 options to select. They are both in kanji so I can't read them, although having made the choices the one on the top tries to connect to the internet, and the other one appears to be the memory one.

Can someone verify that the Japanese Wii's ONLY operate in Japanese and have no language changing ability?

I'd like to know this as well as I can't find the info anywhere and I have a Japanese Wii.

Many Thanks

pcsel

No their White. They'll be releasing colours soon though

And in answer to this post. E-Mail nintendo they'll give you directions don't worry

Directions as to whether you can change the language from Japanese? or whether they are going to start doing other colours for the Wii?

Thanks

pcsel

Wii_Smurf said "E-Mail nintendo they'll give you directions don't worry"

No they won't.

I too am in Japan with a Japanese Wii. Fortunately I can read and write enough Japanese to email Nintendo, although not well enough to play Fire Emblem (Can't understand anyone but Eddy, he speaks nice easy modern Japanese) or to read all the screens in Zelda before the end of the year.

I'll pop the reply in Japanese at the end of the post but basically they say (very politely) that Wii's built for sale in the Japanese market are meant for Japanese people and have nothing but the Japanese language. (anyone in Japan knows about the general xenophobia here, if you don't look, sound and read like a Japanese you don't count in the greater scheme of things)

They offered to help with anything I don't understand, so I'll ask them about changing the news channel or internet channel to the English versions (all I need is a download link for the wii I think) but I don't hold out much hope.

Japanese reply from Nintendo:

ユーソーセクシ様からいただいたメールについてお答えいたします。

誠に恐れ入りますが、日本向けに販売・製造しております

日本版のWii本体は、 日本国内でのご利用を前提とさせて

いただいており、日本語表記のみとなっております。

何卒ご了承ください。

LMAO!

Well if it doesn't have an English option then your boned :)
I suppose your best off learning more Japanese or just buying an English Wii from a Website? and then getting all your Games off the Web - It's the only way but it's worth it

Meh, I'm not that fussed.

I can get by with enough Japanese that it's only really the RPG's that'll be a problem, and it means I can get all the non-rpg titles before anyone else :ciappa:

I suppose I can wait until someone comes up with a way to play import games on the wii that works/won't break it for those games.

The wii won't really be kickass till next year when Nintendo 'let' people make online multiplayer games. THEN we will see what the Wii can do, international MMORPG jedi game anyone? Come on Nintendo, give Lucasarts special allowance to make network enabled games THIS year!!

craigistop said:
I'm a Brit living in Japan and would like to know if it is possible to change the language on my Japanese Wii to English. Is there such a setting? I'd really appreciate any help.
I can´t chage the language settings to English at my japanese console. Did you find a way to change the language? Thanks for any help.

Sorry, my last post wasn't clear.

You can't change the language on a Japanese Wii.

Nintendo support said it wasn't possible. The only way would be to flash the firmware with one from another region, assuming that the hardware isn't different between versions in any way. And I have no idea how to do this.

Shadar.

Your wii is from japan? do you have special miis, if so could you add me and send me one, i will repay you helping you

Back