Change the language on my Japanese Wii to English?

ciper said:
Do you remember the chipset type on the Japanese Wii? If its D2C it won't work. Also did you check if the chip had the three legs removed?

I didn´t checked it, as i took it to this mod store :( I will get a japanese game now, burn it and see if it works well... but i want to play americans too...

I'm not sure which mod chip I have that lets me play both US and Japanese games on my Jap unit because of the language barrier here in China, but I believe the shop who sold it to me said it was a "wiikey"? Or something that sounds like that.

I could not find any info on WiiOS mod chip, but there are quite a few less popular mod chips that do not do region free hack. See this chart here. If it works with Japanese "back-up" games but not US version, then it is modded but the chip does not support region free.

Last edited:
You might also try using one of the region patching applications like RegionFrii or WiigionFree (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Category:Wii_Utilities) As far as I remember, if your modchip doesnt have region free patching, but can load backups, then this will allow you to play games from other regions. Make sure you check the compatiblity list for games from other regions though (its both for modchips and for these appplications, so if a game is listed here as not working, it means it wont work with a modchip or the patching application) http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Patcher_Compatibility_List

Ciper, I've asked the same question earlier. Anyway, the ISO region hack should work. By the way, there is a new ISO image hack that would prevent auto update (which makes many modded Wii bricks). I think that would be more essential than region hack.

just a suggestion:
Why not take pictures of the Japanese Wii menu options and have someone translate it for us and post them up. It's better than trial and error.

Shadar said:
No they won't.

I too am in Japan with a Japanese Wii. Fortunately I can read and write enough Japanese to email Nintendo, although not well enough to play Fire Emblem (Can't understand anyone but Eddy, he speaks nice easy modern Japanese) or to read all the screens in Zelda before the end of the year.

I'll pop the reply in Japanese at the end of the post but basically they say (very politely) that Wii's built for sale in the Japanese market are meant for Japanese people and have nothing but the Japanese language. (anyone in Japan knows about the general xenophobia here, if you don't look, sound and read like a Japanese you don't count in the greater scheme of things)

They offered to help with anything I don't understand, so I'll ask them about changing the news channel or internet channel to the English versions (all I need is a download link for the wii I think) but I don't hold out much hope.

Japanese reply from Nintendo:

ユーソーセクシ様からいただいたメールについてお答えいたします。

誠に恐れ入りますが、日本向けに販売・製造しております

日本版のWii本体は、 日本国内でのご利用を前提とさせて

いただいており、日本語表記のみとなっております。

何卒ご了承ください。

this is what i got after translating it

From the [yusosekushi] way we answer concerning the mail which it receives.

It is embarrassed truly, but to for Japan we selling & producing

As for Wii itself of the Japanese edition, the utilization in the Japanese country as a prerequisite

We have received, has become only Japanese inscription.

No soldier/finishing please acknowledge.

i currently in taiwan and just got a jap wii also trying to solve this language problem, two people in this store says they have seen jap wii turn into english but everone else says no. i asked them how, they say that they changed it by having it reisntalled? -_-??? wont tell me anything else?? has anybody else heard of this? im thinking is maybe having to bringing the jap wii to america and have an update there. diff gonna try that and see if it works. if anybody finds out nything please post. thanks

in taiwan almost every single wii has an ic chipp installed to play burned or all regional games. most popular ic chipp is made from wiki. other crappy chips, if u try to update version will ending having there wii replaced. or spending nother 150-170$ replacing parts that are NOT UNDER WARRENTY

AlexDP said:
It's actually safer to connect and do an update, and then disconnect. Because if you dont do online updates, you risk some game doing an update for you, and if that game is not from your region, you'll have a brick on your hands.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a japanese wii from China, so it is Mod, but the I went to system update and updated the firmware. Now, I cannot play my japanese CD versions.... Any one can lead me somewhere where I can fix this??? It only plays the US Cd's now, and I am stuck with the japanese languange... HELP PLEASE@!!!!

well i think that you shouldnt have done the update Alex you shoulve asked a friend. the only advice i have is to go to the store were you bought it and ask them for help.

Shadar said:
No they won't.

Japanese reply from Nintendo:

ユーソーセクシ様からいただいたメールについてお答えいたします。

誠に恐れ入りますが、日本向けに販売・製造しております

日本版のWii本体は、 日本国内でのご利用を前提とさせて

いただいており、日本語表記のみとなっております。

何卒ご了承ください。
That means:
From the (ユーソーセクシ)(think it means normal) way we answer concerning the mail which it receives. It is embarrassed truly, but to for Japan we selling & producing As for the substance of the Japanese edition, the utilization in the Japanese country as a prerequisite We have received, has become only Japanese inscription. No soldier/finishing please acknowledge.
Thaks to www.altavisa.nl

lordmat0 said:
Erm well I can give you directs on how to change the language to english on my UK wii, never know the menu screens might be the same

Bottom left button (Wii)
Right button (has a spanner on it under it is a few words saying wii settings)
go on the right arrow 2 times to get to page 3 and its the first one
Button saying ENglish

Hi my name is Adrian i bought a Wii in China and i have the same problem
id like to know if its the same procedure for a chinese Wii ??
thx...:wink:

Back