Changes to online multiplayer

Bakura23

Just some guy
Jan 23, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Wii Online Code
0004-0004-0004-0004
There have been a few things about online multiplayer that seem incomplete or poorly executed, aside from the obvious issues everyone has with lag and hosting.

1. Heroes would be so much better of there were a few changes. Everyone that isn't the hero should be either forced to choose one of the default loadouts or a weapons cap should be in place so that you can't use weapons that are on par or stronger than the hero weapons. Actually make it a challenge to get the hero kill. Also, it should be forced spawns, and neither team respawns until both heroes are taken out.

2. Remove friendly fire from TLTK.

3. Add a couple new modes where players are eliminated after so many deaths. Yes, it's boring waiting around for the match to finish, so turn players eliminated into bombers but they don't gain xp for the kills.

4. Condense the unlock system so there is an unlock at each level. Speeds up your trip to the top guns, which would probably keep more players interested in the game for longer periods. And why cap the level at 56? You can keep earning xp, so continue the level progression to give an idea in game how long someone has been in the game. Though, it'd be funny to see the level of hacked accounts with billions of xp.

5. Change the proficiencies in a couple ways. First, the non-pistols need to be changed so that each level achieved takes more kills than the previous levels. It should be greater xp/kill earned at the highest level, not one of the middle levels. Second, the proficiencies should be open-ended, and increase sort of the same way xp leveling does.

Nice ideas...you just gotta convince a developer to do it now...easy peasy :D
No doubt! And when they inevitably agree to do this, I'll see if they can't fix whatever is causing all the wii-freezes.

I am currently working on developing "Wii Goldeneye 008," due out around Christmas. It's almost finished. I will do my best to include the changes that you described above, but with some edits:

1) Everyone will hero all the time, simultaneously.

2) Friendly fire will be a part of ALL team modes, to encourage better accuracy. In real life, you COULD be shot be accident!

3) Adding the "You Only Live Twice" mode from GE 64 to online play.

4) Changing the unlock system from 56 levels to 100. At level 100, you will unlock "Beer Muscles." This will be similar to the bezerker pack from DOOM where melee will cause 1000% damage and your vision will be blurred. It will also give you 1000% health and allow you to run 1000% faster. Because it is "beer" muscles, the ugly female players in Classic Conflict will look more attractive to you. To make it more realistic, when you use this gadget, it will only last 5 minutes. Then you will pass out and have to respawn anew the next morning.

5) The weapon proficiencies will remain the same, except I will increase the xp you get for each level by 5 xp. That should be enough. Coupled with the additional unlocks I am adding, it should take people a while to get good with them, especially the "beer muscles" one at level 100.

6) I will be adding new in-game accolades as well. Some new additions will be:
- Proxy-muler: Get 10 kills in one game by attaching a prox to your teammate's back and then sending them off to run into an enemy.
- Quad-meleer: Get a quad feed melee-only.
- Boatroom Master: Go 30-0 camping the boatroom.

7) And instead of adding a door to the boatroom, I will be taking the one door away.

8) Wii freezes will be ADDED for anyone on the losing team in TC. That is all.

Watch the retail shelves for this updated version in December!

Create a method for the servers to detect homebrew and give players an on/off filter to block homebrew users from joining your lobby when hosting, and prevent you from joining a homebrew host. Even if they could do this I'm sure some hackers may find a way around it but if we could cut down on 80 or 90 percent of hackers it would easily make the game more enjoyable. It would also reduce boosting a little, which is the main reason there is so much SPAM in the game imo.

Weapon tweaks - Improve the Gambit, unbreak the Masterton, take the toob off the preset, improve flashbangs.

Unlocks - Give us unlocks at each level, even if some are just slight upgrades to existing gadgets, and allow players to use the same gadget slot more than once (no stacking though, that could get stupid). "Gadget Master" could be the level 56 unlock instead of the Ivana, so we have something to strive for after getting the Ivana. Also, make presets an unlock at level 5 or 6 so complete noobs would be forced to play at least a few levels with a sigmus/sly/ak47.

Game mode improvements - Give players more incentive to spawn hero, and reduce the punishment for doing so. Give players xp bonuses for kills/streaks as a hero, and maybe +10xp for every 10 seconds like in Black Box, and give the other team 5 points for a hero kill instead of 10.

Classic Conflict would be much cooler if each character had their own special attributes boosts, or special attacks like the hat throw. Idk, like for Scaramanga give the player the Golden Gun with 3 bullets every time they get a 5 streak. Things like that, each appropriate for the specific character. Jaws could be a bullet sponge with extra melee damage and longer melee reach, and Baron Samedi could respawn without the elimination counting 20% of the time. It would probably be silly, and it might end up being unbalanced, but it could be great zany fun imo.

I would also like to see a mode which is the same as TC except with a much higher number of kills required, Team War or something. I really like the simple straightforward style of TC, but it's too short and just kind of sucks for xp.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

Create a method for the servers to detect homebrew

I have homebrew and ain't never once hacked the multiplayer of any game. Don't put us peaceful brewers in the same category as hackers.

... That, and if it was possible t' detect homebrew like that, us homebrewers would be an extinct category.

Something to avoid hax users from spoiling the experience would be nice, all I'm saying. Just a wish. Check the user's game scripts against an original to detect hax? I don't know enough about how it works to know if they could do something like that. And of course I don't care about homebrewers or hackers unless they hurt other players' experiences.

It's a game, and like all games (video or otherwise) it has rules. The rules are supposed to be the same for everyone, to make it a fair competition. Hacking for an advantage is the equivalent of a boxer getting to use kickboxing attacks while his opponent cannot, and the official allowing it.

Good programming is all it takes. Cheats are so common 'cause it's so damn easy to mod the Wii and 360. That, and if console gaming embraced modding, we wouldn't have t' worry nearly as much 'bout cheaters.

Hacking for an advantage is the equivalent of a boxer getting to use kickboxing attacks while his opponent cannot, and the official allowing it.

... That's an understatement, since you're forgettin' 'bout invincibility hax.

"Beer Muscles."

^ made me LOL :).

Weapon tweaks - Improve the Gambit, unbreak the Masterton, take the toob off the preset, improve flashbangs.

Something definitely needs to be done about the Gambit; I just finished the proficiencies and won't use it again. Talon is easily the best sniper rifle. And what do you mean unbreak the Masterton? I'm not sure what's broke about it.

Unlocks - Give us unlocks at each level, even if some are just slight upgrades to existing gadgets, and allow players to use the same gadget slot more than once (no stacking though, that could get stupid). "Gadget Master" could be the level 56 unlock instead of the Ivana, so we have something to strive for after getting the Ivana. Also, make presets an unlock at level 5 or 6 so complete noobs would be forced to play at least a few levels with a sigmus/sly/ak47.

It would be great if you could choose from all gadgets in each gadget slot. I want Light Foot with Speed Loader!!

Classic Conflict would be much cooler if each character had their own special attributes boosts, or special attacks like the hat throw. Idk, like for Scaramanga give the player the Golden Gun with 3 bullets every time they get a 5 streak. Things like that, each appropriate for the specific character. Jaws could be a bullet sponge with extra melee damage and longer melee reach, and Baron Samedi could respawn without the elimination counting 20% of the time. It would probably be silly, and it might end up being unbalanced, but it could be great zany fun imo.

They definitely should have given Scaramanga the Golden Gun in the first place. I think that everyone should get to pick whichever character, if it is done that way, and allow you to pick anyone regardless of who's already been selected. Everyone would still want Oddjob :p.

I'd like to see a game of conflict with no time limit and first to 100 kills wins!

I like this way better than my suggestion of having a death cap. Maybe not 100, but a no time limit match with a kill goal would be fantastic.

And what do you mean unbreak the Masterton? I'm not sure what's broke about it.

It's an automatic weapon... that kills in 1 shot. It's cheap and overpowered, if not outright broken. The other 2 top weapons are beast, but still require a modicum of precision to use effectively. Hence why it's the weapon of choice of boosters and proxyspamspawncampers.

It does have some disadvantages, sure. It has range limitations (but not that much, it has fantastic range for a shotgun), the reload is a bit slow(although, again it is one of the best for shotguns. Only the SLY might be a tad faster), and enemies can pick it up and use it's overpowered-ness against you (this is also true of other high level guns though, and hardly balances things out when you get it at every spawn and enemies have to look for it and leave themselves vulnerable when they stop to grab it).

If they had made it semi-automatic only, fire rate of a pistol, it would still be great but just not so cheap. That's my opinion.

If they had made it semi-automatic only, fire rate of a pistol, it would still be great but just not so cheap. That's my opinion.

Bad news my friend. Changing the mode to semi-automatic actually makes the gun MORE powerful. I can fire it semi just as fast as full auto, but with a LOT less muzzle action. This increases accuracy a LOT and spends much less ammo. Hopefully more people don't figure this out and continue to hold down the trigger and aim at the ceiling!

oh...crap...wait a sec...

Don't know 'bout Goldeneye's specific hipfire versus ADS metagame and such, but in the shooters I know of one does not simply spray 'n pray at every given encounter. If ADSing with a buckshot shotty decreases spread, then slowin' down one's fire to semi-auto, conserving ammo and gettin' easier one-shot kills should logically be the most effective strategy as Tamps claims (for players who ain't right-****)... unless of course ya turn a corner and someone's got a barrel in your face. Everyone thinks shotguns are fantastic hipfire weapons, but in games where pellet spread notably decreases via aiming, that sentiment is far from the truth.

Obviously a fully-automatic shotgun with an unbalanced damage-to-pellet ratio kind'a breaks that there rule of thumb, but 'ey. My point still stands: anyone who sprays their masty like a madman when they're at a mid-range is a dumb.

Last edited:
Back