Characters With Disadvantages / Advanatages Over Other Characters

kingslayer

The Grammar Police
Mar 3, 2009
Wii Online Code
1345-6587-5984-5125
Characters that have certain advantages / disadvantages against other characters.

When choosing your mains it might be good to choose two characters that compliment each other.

Example: You main Pikachu and face a tournament style Ice Climbers. You keep getting slaughtered by the chain grab / spike combo. If your other main was Meta Knight then you would have a distinct advantage against the chain grabbing Ice Climbers.

I thought it would just be good to make a list of characters and what other characters they have an advantage or disadvantage against.

If anyone wants to post a character and who they are good / bad against, then please say which character(s) and why. I will copy and paste it to and give you credit for it.

If the character name is in red, it means it currently doesn't have any information on it. If the character name is in orange, it means it is incomplete. If the character name is in blue, it means it is complete (unless there are disagreements). If you disagree, or can add to, something about the character please say so and why.

Bowser:
Waiting for someone to post on this character.

Captain Falcon:

Diddy Kong:

Donkey Kong:

Falco:

Fox:

Ganondorf:

Ice Climbers:

Ike:

Jigglypuff:

King Dedede:

Kirby:

Link:

Lucario:

Lucas:

Luigi:

Mario:

Marth:

Meta Knight:

Mr. Game & Watch:

Ness:

Olimar:

Peach:

Pikachu:
Depending on how Pikachu is played, he can have an advantage over characters like: Pit, Meta Knight, and R.O.B.. His Down B attacks causing characters who are heavy aerial users to be in danger. I'll update this later (had my wisdom teeth removed today and the painkillers are effecting my thoughts), but anyone who can add to the very, very little I put in would be appreciated.

Pit:

Pokémon Trainer:

R.O.B.:

Samus:

Sheik:

Snake:

Sonic:

Toon Link:

Wario:

Wolf:

Yoshi:

Zelda:

Zero Suit Samus:

Last edited:
what your basically asking for is match-up chart, to show how each character stacks up against others. its what decides teirs, how many good match-ups a character has compared to how many bad ones.

Meta for example has multiple good match-ups but little to no bad ones, hence he's the top on teirs.

Captain Falcon on the other hand has little to no good ones but multiple bad ones. which is why hes the bottom or close to it(i don't keep track of teirs)

I'm not trying to create a general match-up, but more of a few specific characters. For instance... Jigglypuff would be bad against basically every character. Yet characters like Marth, or Ike, who can use a riposte against Jigglypuff's best move... that's more of what I'm looking for.
I just want a chart that newer players can look at to see what character they might want to main. Say their friend uses a character and they always lose. They could look at this chart and find a character to train that has a better chance of beating their friend's character.

I just realized I put too many characters for my brief (basically useless) Pikachu spoiler.

Ness:
Good against Lucario and Samus.
Can heal or deflect their Energy attacks and deflect against other projectiles like; Samus's missiles or Snake's projectiles.

I hope that's what you mean.

I think a good match up is any of the Fox characters against Ness or Lucas. Seeing as how they can absorb/reflect eachothers energy attacks, it would be a good match set up. Of course, the Fox squad having more advantage, since they dont base all their attacks off energy like Ness and Lucas. Fox squad would more than likely win, if played well, being able to reflect nearly all Ness & Lucas' attacks can be a hinderence.

@ Mega Luigi: Im not sure Ness is very good against Samus, seeing as he can only absorb one of her attacks. He still holds a small advantage, but Samus' power lies in her great range of attacks. She would still leave a heavy dent.

Same with Lucario, except he plays more close game, where predicting his energy attacks (or lack thereof) would be straining. Lucario could put up more than a good fight against Ness, but like I said with Samus, Ness' energy absorbtion doesnt provide a good enough difference for any advantage to be spoken of.

Now, I know some people wont like this, but it must be said. Mario is a good match against any character. His cape slap has got to be one of the best moves in the game. Being able to reflect any attack as well as turning someone around without stun is a hell of an ability. Couple this with his all around decent play, and his unbeleivably easy to learn controls, I think Mario shoud be Top Tier. This is, however, only my opinion.

There are plenty of disadvantages to Mario as well since he favors no specific play style. In this sense, Mario is good against noone, but he is not bad against anyone either. This is probably why he is middle tier (i think) and not higher. Still, his cape reflector should be taken higher into account. That, and the fact that he has one of the best edgeguards.

Mario is an all-around good character, but he is also an all-around bad character, depending on if your looking at the glass half empty or half full.

Hope this help Kingslayer. Nice thread btw.

Storm you are quite wrong...everywhere

a good Samus does use projectiles and tries to always have a full charge but otherwise shes meant to be close enough to only give a split second for the enemy to counter her shots. shes mid range and hold great advantages over Ness.

Lucario is meant to be close like you said but he would rarely use Aura Sphere. Ness holds little to nothing over him except a better recovery. but even that could be considered worse considering how easy it is to stop it.

Mario overall...sucks. cape is good, f-smash is good, f-air while hard to use is good. the rest of Mario is pure failure. the fireballs can interupt approaches but not good enough to stop the real dangerous ones. FLUDD(the water) just plans sucks ****. his up B is powerful but only on the final hit which is easy to avoid. all his other moves are overall crap except for an average N-air and B-air

Storm you are quite wrong...everywhere

a good Samus does use projectiles and tries to always have a full charge but otherwise shes meant to be close enough to only give a split second for the enemy to counter her shots. shes mid range and hold great advantages over Ness.

Lucario is meant to be close like you said but he would rarely use Aura Sphere. Ness holds little to nothing over him except a better recovery. but even that could be considered worse considering how easy it is to stop it.

Mario overall...sucks. cape is good, f-smash is good, f-air while hard to use is good. the rest of Mario is pure failure. the fireballs can interupt approaches but not good enough to stop the real dangerous ones. FLUDD(the water) just plans sucks ****. his up B is powerful but only on the final hit which is easy to avoid. all his other moves are overall crap except for an average N-air and B-air

I think a good match up is any of the Fox characters against Ness or Lucas. Seeing as how they can absorb/reflect eachothers energy attacks, it would be a good match set up. Of course, the Fox squad having more advantage, since they dont base all their attacks off energy like Ness and Lucas. Fox squad would more than likely win, if played well, being able to reflect nearly all Ness & Lucas' attacks can be a hinderence.

@ Mega Luigi: Im not sure Ness is very good against Samus, seeing as he can only absorb one of her attacks. He still holds a small advantage, but Samus' power lies in her great range of attacks. She would still leave a heavy dent.

Same with Lucario, except he plays more close game, where predicting his energy attacks (or lack thereof) would be straining. Lucario could put up more than a good fight against Ness, but like I said with Samus, Ness' energy absorbtion doesnt provide a good enough difference for any advantage to be spoken of.

Now, I know some people wont like this, but it must be said. Mario is a good match against any character. His cape slap has got to be one of the best moves in the game. Being able to reflect any attack as well as turning someone around without stun is a hell of an ability. Couple this with his all around decent play, and his unbeleivably easy to learn controls, I think Mario shoud be Top Tier. This is, however, only my opinion.

There are plenty of disadvantages to Mario as well since he favors no specific play style. In this sense, Mario is good against noone, but he is not bad against anyone either. This is probably why he is middle tier (i think) and not higher. Still, his cape reflector should be taken higher into account. That, and the fact that he has one of the best edgeguards. (meant to add FLUDD)

Mario is an all-around good character, but he is also an all-around bad character, depending on if your looking at the glass half empty or half full.
Hope this help Kingslayer. Nice thread btw.

@ the first bold: I said her great range of attacks, not her great attack range or ranged attacks. I meant as in variety.

@ the second Bold: I stated basically the same thing you did, dont see how I was wrong there.

@ the third bold: like I said, my opinion.

@ the fourth bold: Mario is known to be average across everything. FLUDD is used for edgeguarding, nothing else.

@ Fifth bold: Nuff said. Hes bad, but hes average. Period.

Now, as the above is stated, I dont see how you proved anything I said wrong, though you said I was, and I quote,
Storm, you are quite wrong...everywhere.
I dont see how I am wrong, perhaps you could explain further?

Btw, not trying to start an arguement, just defending my post.

for the Samus thing, sorry I misunderstood.

As for Lucario: a good one would almost never use Aura Sphere so there should be no strain of expecting a projectile.

now for Mario.
as I said FLUDD sucks. you claim its for edgeguarding. well it sucks at that too. FLUDD is not useful for anything and I can't imagine what Sakurai was thinking in using it.

Mario is the average weight, jump height, and basic attack power. other than a few good or basic moves though hes completely below average. he's bad not average. he's low in the middle teir, just being middle teir though doesn't mean average.

as for the wrong comment, sorry it wss a little harsh but overall the points you made were wrong

Ok.

With Lucario, I said lack thereof, which would suggest he barely uses/has any, so trying to predict them, as you said, was useless. So we were both correct, I just need to learn how to portray my thoughts better (as I did with Samus)

As for Mario, I did say it was only my opinion. And, statistically, Mario is average. Playably, no, he isnt. As I said, he holds no real advantages over enemies, as he has no real strong points. But he also holds no real weaknesses except for his own bad use, which is a bit hard.

And you said yourself, and I quote,
Mario is average weight, jumping, and attack power
. Now, you did just agree Mario is average with that statement. Also, I dont understand how you say he is below average. If he has average stats, average weight, average jumping, average attack power, and average attack, how can he not be average?

Btw, FLUDD is useful for edgeguarding. Just like Squirtle's watergun. Just because some people may not think it is useful doesnt mean it is not useful.

Again, I dont see how my overall points were wrong?

Also again, simply defending my statement.

FLUDD is not useful for anything. not my opinion but the general opinion of the smash community. same with Water Gun.

the three things i listed are the only average things about him. then a few decent or good moves and a ton of horrible ones. hes really below average on both a statistics veiw and on a playability veiw

FLUDD is useful, not incredibly useful, but it does serve a purpose for edgeguarding. Same with Water Gun. Not saying its the best move, but its not the worst. It is simply unique.

And actually, Mario is above average, statistically.

Statistics
Weight: 3/10
Offense: 9/10
Defense: 6/10
Projectile: 4/10
Final Smash: 7/10
Throwing ability: 5/10
Speed: 8/10

Add it all up, = 42. Divide by number of stats, which is 7, =6. 6/10 overall. 5 being average, I would have to say that is above average.

courtesy of:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/Mario

you do know that guide is **** right? it rates Meta as average in all but speed when Meta is statisticlly the best character.

and no FLUDD sucks. it barely pushes aerial opponents and plus Mario souldn't even be using that move for edgeguarding. a real Mario player either uses B-air for gimping or F-air for spiking. FLUDD sucks and is useless

No, FLUDD is not useless. It can be used for edgeguarding is what I said, not that it has to. I did not say there were not better options, I was merely debating what FLUDD is meant to be used for, and edgeguarding is just that.

Also, I used that guide because it is an unbiased third party opinion. In this matter, you are bias, and I am bias. This way, we see it from an unbias point of view. If you could provide another stat table, I might be swayed, otherwise, the facts are stated.

And yes, we all know that Meta is the best character. And if you read the site page, it says that Meta is the best character. Anyway, here are his stats.

Statistics
Weight: 3/10
Offense: 9/10
Defense: 6/10
Projectile: 4/10
Final Smash: 7/10
Throwing ability: 5/10
Speed: 8/10

lolz at this. He has the same rating as Mario. Statisically, they would both be considered average. In competetive play, Meta is king. We know that. But, statistics talking, he is average. It still says on that site that Meta is the best character. According to his stats, he has high points and low points, obviously.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/Meta_Knight

Well I noticed that marth has a advantage against gannon and craptain failcon because of his fast combos and well hes pretty fast overall so he outdubs gannon and craptain failcon because there slow.Same with meta yes I know CF is fast as in running but he is slow in move executing therefore you can counter his moves with somebody fast such as marth or other people(that i will not list because i dont really care that they're fast).

I'm honestly not interested in this thread, but I thought I'd post this much.

Well I noticed that marth has a advantage against gannon and craptain failcon because of his fast combos and well hes pretty fast overall so he outdubs gannon and craptain failcon because there slow.Same with meta yes I know CF is fast as in running but he is slow in move executing therefore you can counter his moves with somebody fast such as marth or other people(that i will not list because i dont really care that they're fast).

Oh my god. Yyy said something that makes sense. THE WORLD IS GOING TO END BY THE TIME THIS SENTENC- *boom*

Ness:
Good against Lucario and Samus.
Can heal or deflect their Energy attacks and deflect against other projectiles like; Samus's missiles or Snake's projectiles.

I hope that's what you mean.

Ness and Lucas' Down B can't heal projectiles unless they're energy, Snake's Grenades/Side B and Samus' Missles can't heal him. Only things like (the aforementioned) Lucario's Aura Sphere, or other PK attacks.

Back