Characters you suck with

Ya, I was just timing until you could get another shot off. I never really use it as an attack, but rather an effective way to prevent edge guarding and to gain an extra second to maneuver.

That's hard to believe. Olimar's pretty easy to use by spamming his attacks, lol. ... For some reason I can't even pull that off. I guess he's just not made for some people, lol.

The secret to Olimar is to go crazy with his A attacks :p. It's unexpected and he is actually good close combat wise. The Side B isn't really that great of a move, but is good to use as a lure. You can easily get a Down A attack hit on them if you throw a few Side B's out, they just have to charge XD. His plain A attack and running Side A are really good :p. His Up B is a very effective edge guarding tool if you use it right (I'm not good enough with him yet to use it effectively).
Overall, Olimar is an insane character (mainly due that not many people have practice facing him :p).

wrong king. I main Olimar so let me set it straight.

Olimar needs to be close so counter him by staying just out of his reach, which is the length of Marth's sword. if you can't fight from out of his reach then attack from above. Olimar has very few ways to aim up so take advantage of that by using the aerial approach.

To counter the pikmin, hit them. hit them at every chance. that way they either go flying or die causing Olimar to pause and summon more. use that opprotunity to KO him.

to counter his recovery, wait till he gets close enough for his tether, then grab the ledge to cause him to fall from his death.

and thats how you fight an Olimar.....maybe i've said to much....

I was talking about using Olimar... not fighting one. Many people just spam Side B/A and Down A when using Olimar... making him easy to beat. I was just telling Ice that Olimar's close range moves are very good. They have decent priority and little recovery time. It's quite easy to land 3-4 moves in a matter of seconds, while close range.

Trying to face Olimar in the air can be quite dangerous. His Up A attack (while jumping) is a very easy move to hit with and his Side A (while in the air) can KO. Not to mention that if you perfected the Up B you could easily nail a hit with by dodging and getting into the right spot.

Edit: The reason many people are bad with Olimar is they try to use him as a long-range character when he only has medium range moves coupled with close range moves.

Another factor with Olimar is you need to practice with him until you can see which Pikmin would come up next.

Yellow - Electric (longer range and arcs when thrown)
Red - Fire
Purple - Short range / power (slow + only hits opponent (doesn't latch on))
Blue - Strong / Durable (harder to kill then other Pikmins)
White - Quick and light (easy to kill and when latches on does poison damage)

I prefer using Yellow and Whites while using Side B, Purple or Red when Side A, and Red when Up A.

If you can figure out the pattern you can shape your moves to use which Pikmin you want to.

Last edited:
I always suck the most with the fast-falling characters, like Snake and Fox. Not only do they fall to quickly, but they have worse control. Thats why I like Toon Link and Jiggly, cause they are much easier to control. At least in my opinion.

You're wrong about one point though, Shadow. He can run under someone and U-air them, which is very hard to cancel out. He can use his tether as a ground attack, and if you're directly above, he can U-smash. If he has a purple Pikmin, he can also Pikmin toss it mid jump. It's true, his reach is limited in aerial combat, but he still has enough options that when used correctly, are a huge pain in the ass.

Another thing. If you don't have a fast attacking and quick attack-ending character like Meta, attacking the Pikmin when they're tossed at you from a distance might get you grabbed or Dash attacked. Since he doesn't have a knockback-inducing projectile (purple Pikmin don't 100% count since they have low range), being at a distance is an advantage. Approaching him is the tough part, though.

Once you get in, you can batter him; but carefully. It's all about prediction. The best thing to do is to gimp him ASAP, don't build up damage, just go for it.

Not saying you're wrong, just adding onto what you said.

Wow... this is making me want to main Olimar. I've noticed lately that my Olimar has gotten decent and with some training I think I could perfect him.

i never said he didn't have options. i just said he didn't have many. Olimar has more ground options than aerial so it's easier to kill on the ground. King, don't forget about his spike. and for a big comprehensive guide on Olimar, go dig up CK's character guide thread. i spent about an hour and a half typing up an Olimar guide that also gives info on what each pikmin does for each move cause they may follow a basic pattern but they do react differently for each move.

Just because he doesn't have many options doesn't mean it isn't great. Attacking in the air with Olimar is usually an unpredicted move. Personally, I would be completely caught off guard if an Olimar user starting nailing me in the air. Throwing air attacks in, with Olimar, is an easy to make you less predictable. I never forgot about his spike, it was part of my 3-4 moves in seconds combo. There are multiple ways to get great combos off, but I like using a spike in them (just looks cool :p).

Edit: Look at CK's guide, I'm sure it's good :p.

actually an aerial Olimar is expected. as CK pointed out his aerials rock. most expect Olimar to start in the air then finish on the ground. or to knock them into the air and then smash them over the edge or down to the ground. really read my guide, it lists everything but combos and thats cause he has many small combos that start the same way. he doesn't have any effective combos that invole more than 5 hits.

EDIT: i know the Olimar guide is good, I wrote it.

Last edited:
Well... I mean a combo like: Running Side A, A, Up A, Up A (while in the air), A, and then Up B (this combo is insane, but hard to get off). Then you can spike them on the way back down (though this can't be considered part of the combo).

Try it that combo out some time... it's hard to get down, but it's great once you get it down.

Back