Cheap wireless router?

ylomnstr

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2007
What's a cheap wireless router I can get that will work with the Wii right out of the box?

i had a belkin at one point for 30$ that i got at BJs whole sale (Berkly and Jenson)

The_Loose_Cannon said:
i had a belkin at one point for 30$ that i got at BJs whole sale (Berkly and Jenson)
Awww, I used to have one of those wholesale warehouses around where I live, I remember that is where I got my PS2, they closed down around me for some reason though

Anyway, I used to have a belkin Wi-Fi router myself, I had nothing but problems, I got a linksys and gave the belkin to my sister, I tried connecting my Wii to it once and I couldn't get it to work

I think the cheapest thing is to get a plain wireless access point and plug that into a computer or a wired router, there is a WAP that my networking lab instructor uses that is pretty small, and if you get a connection problem, you could always move the WAP to somewhere else

I picked up a Belkin router for £30 (uk), its bottom end but does the job on the Wii fine, lacks a bit of functionality for PC use however (port forwarding etc. is a bit limited). Seeing as the LAN adaptors for the Wii I've seen are about £20 its worth the extra £10 to save cables lying around!

I paid 35$ (CAD) for my D-Link WBR-1310 v.D

It works great, but I heard (after i got the router), thank D-Link Wireless Routers are crap :eek:

But so far, I had no problem with it ;)

DRMARIO said:
I'd suggest the Buffalo router...It was specially designed to work with the Nintendo DS really easily, so I'd assume that it'd work well with the wii. Last time I checked, it was £90 ... So that's what? $160??
it's not that the buffalo router is specially designed for the DS, the games for the DS are specially coded to work for AOSS, buffalo routers come with AOSS deafult, so the AOSS feature will help with linking them together, the same AOSS feature also works on computers

Might work, great proce for a router so far, but if you use remote desktop or do any sort of torrenting (like I do), I would highly siggest you don't get a BELKIN brand router, their port forwarding is very poor and you might get a lot of errors (well, I was never about to do any of that over it), if you use port 80 most the time though, the router can forward port 80 pretty nice, I had some problems connecting my Wii to my BELKIN (now gave to my sister), but some people have got them working, so you might have a good experience with it

I got a cheep wireless linksys router for 25 bucks at a pawn shop, i guess that dousnt help you though. But it works perfect for my Wii, and Xbox.

Last edited:
I got a D-link router at best buy for like $40. Sometimes it bugs out and just doesn't work, but overall its a decent router.

Back