Check your Wii-mote battery life with out turning on your Wii

tallerthenyou

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2006
I recently noticed while playing around with my two Wii-motes that if you press any button on the Wii-mote (excluding the power button) while the Wii is off the blue player lights will light up from 1-4 lights depending on how much battery power is left. I didn't know if anyone else had noticed this yet, but I figured someone might find it useful.

I noticed one of my remotes had more lights than the other when I did that. Makes sense. Anyone notice their #2 remote NEVER goes ot sleep with the Wii turned on?

wiimotes are a total batery drainer ive had mine for about a week and ive used 3 pairs, and i dont even have any games besides wii sports.

Rechargeable battery's FTW, they only cost around 50 bucks and you get your moneys worth plus more after the first month, well... if your use to using shitty battery's you do.

Yah i have gone through two pairs in a week or so I wish they're was a definate on and off switch I hate it when i go to move the wiimote and accidently hit a button and i have to wait for it to turn off oh well I am hoping they make a charger for the batteries using the USB ports on the back of the wii :)

I'm sorry but that Duracell battery charger sucks.

Sam's Club - Energizer NiMH/NiCD Rechargeable Battery Charger

You can charge batteries in 15 minutes rather than 6-10 hours like that duracell. I rather be playing my wii more than waiting for a charger.

If you don't have a sams club, don't worry Walmart has this as well. I believe I saw it at Best buy once as well.

@ Sstew13

Unless they can make it charge as fast as the one I listed, don't waste your money.

Last edited:
it chewed through my batteries in a week:(

But I played it for at least 6-7 hours a day? so ..who knows how long it depends on how much you use it

Oh yep... I might be able to go for that long... Hopefully my holiday cheque comes through so I can afford what Wii stuff I'm after.

I bought 2500 mAh Energizer batteries that go with my 15 min charger, just because it charges fast doesn't mean it drains fast. I believe anything 2400+ is solely made for Digital Camaras which in my experience are the hugest battery drain whores for AA type batteries. Since I got the 2500 my Digital camara lasts for a frick load of time, so I know they'll last for a frick load of time in my wiimotes as well.

@Sstew13, and I played about 8-10 hours a day with my Zelda, at about the 33 hour mark my batteries that came with my wiimote were dying out because my controls were becoming bad.

Last edited:
I went 25 hours on Zelda, about 2 hours on Wiisports, and probably about 5 hours just goofing around with the wii menu and sending messages on the batteries Nintendo put in my box. I don' think they eat through batteries, some of the things you guys say are so over exagerated

Still, buying a good charger and rechargeable batteries could be a lot cheaper in the long run than buying endless amounts of single-shot batts.

Back