Classic controller or Gamecube controller?

Jegas

WiiChat Member
Jun 9, 2007
Looking to get a few virtual console games and I obviously will need to get the classic controller. However, I saw that they work with the GC controller as well. SO, because I'm going to want to purchase GC video games in the future should I just get the GC controller? Or do GC video games work with the classic controller.

Thanks in advance!

You should get the GC controller. That will allow you to play both GC and VC games.
The classic controller cannot play GC games.

Some VC games require the classic controller, you may have to get both eventually.

But the GC controller plays them all

Better yet get a PS2 pad converter (the layouts better than the GC one)

the GC controller on SNES/VC games sucks... if you remember playing mario world or DKC sometime you need to run by pressing y and to jump is A on the GC controller the mapping of the buttons are in a weird place so you wouldnt be able to hold down Y and press A with the same thumb to run and jump.. i hope im making this understandable hard to explain without the controller in hand... but take a SNES/classic and a GC controller in hand and feel for yourself its a pain id go with the classic controller for the VC games but unfortunately you will need the GC controller for GC games... im not sure if the wireless wavebirds work for the WII but the GC wire is awfully short :(

Next time use the search function por favor. I specificlly remember making a thread exactly like this...

JeremyGTS said:
the GC controller on SNES/VC games sucks... if you remember playing mario world or DKC sometime you need to run by pressing y and to jump is A on the GC controller the mapping of the buttons are in a weird place so you wouldnt be able to hold down Y and press A with the same thumb to run and jump.. i hope im making this understandable hard to explain without the controller in hand... but take a SNES/classic and a GC controller in hand and feel for yourself its a pain id go with the classic controller for the VC games but unfortunately you will need the GC controller for GC games... im not sure if the wireless wavebirds work for the WII but the GC wire is awfully short :(

1. It makes sense to me because I understand the sentiment behind what you are trying to say. GC controllers for GC games, classic controllers for SNES games.
2. Official wireless wavebirds (not 3rd party copies) definately work with the wii.

3. To the OP...... buy both. Having the right controller for each game can only enhance your enjoyment of that game.

You need to have both. It depends on what you are playing. Super Mario Brothers for instance is much easier to play with GC controller, same with mario 64. Well, actually, now that I think about it, I hate the Classic Controller, and I only use it when I have to.

I would say get both. I never use the GC controller when I play VC games because it feels so forgein, especially while playing Super Mario World. The Classic Controller is much better for VC games and you said you want to play GC games in the future and obviously you can only use the GC controller with those. I have a Classic Controller and 2 GC controllers. It just works better. I've played on every controller since the NES and the Classic Controller is definatly worth it.

Back