Classic Controllers

musicboi10

WiiChat Member
Nov 1, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Do you need classic controllers in order to play certain games either for the Wii or the GameCube??? If you can use the standard controller for all the games, what is the point in a classic controller?

Last edited:
for the classic games downloadable from VC so you feel more comfortable, and the wii controller doesnt have the right button placement as previous set ups

OK, the thing is my situation is that I've got to get 2 controllers (for my brother & I). I am also interested in playing Virtual Console and GameCube games, so the classic controller seems to obviously be right for me. Would I need to buy 2 classic controllers? Also, is it worth it to switch controllers every time you transition from a Wii to a GameCube game or from a Wii to a Virtual Console game? I just don't know if I should pay $40 for 2 classic controllers that I am going to barely use. I have 1 GameCube game that I enjoy thoroughly. The Virtual Console games sound tempting, but aren't most of those 1 player anyway? Here are my questions layed out:

1. Would I need to buy 2 classic controllers considering my situation?
2. Is it worth it to switch controllers all the time?
3. Are virtual console games ever 2 player and in need of 2 classic controllers?

musicboi10 said:
OK, the thing is my situation is that I've got to get 2 controllers (for my brother & I). I am also interested in playing Virtual Console and GameCube games, so the classic controller seems to obviously be right for me. Would I need to buy 2 classic controllers? Also, is it worth it to switch controllers every time you transition from a Wii to a GameCube game or from a Wii to a Virtual Console game? I just don't know if I should pay $40 for 2 classic controllers that I am going to barely use. I have 1 GameCube game that I enjoy thoroughly. The Virtual Console games sound tempting, but aren't most of those 1 player anyway? Here are my questions layed out:

1. Would I need to buy 2 classic controllers considering my situation?
2. Is it worth it to switch controllers all the time?
3. Are virtual console games ever 2 player and in need of 2 classic controllers?

You need the Wii-Mote for Wii games, and you need the Classic Controller for VC or Gamecube games. BUT, you CAN just use gamecube controllers, they work just the same. (classic controllers are wireless, and have a different look.) Some VC games will be multiplayer, like the N64 ones. If you already have gamecube controllers, there is no need for classic controllers unless you want a change in how they look, and for wireless.

Also, how convenient is it to switch controllers from the standard to the classic? Is it too much of a hassle?

The N64 games that are 2 player: Are they 1 player as well? Does anyone recommend getting 2 classic controllers or is anyone getting 2 for themselves and why?

Last edited:
Not at all, all you do is plug them into the back of the standard wiimote. That way you don't have to keep syncing them all the time.

SO let me get this straight, a GameCube controller DOES work with VC games?

and

The Classic controller DOES work with GC games?

Does Anyone Know If All Games Work With The Nintendo Wii Classic Control Pad????

For Example

The New Zelda Or Smash Bros Brawl????????

Can Any1 Plz Reply Bk :eek:

I Need To Know If All Games Work With The Nintento Classic Wii Control Pad Work With All Games

The one issue I see is using a gamecube or classic controller on N64 games that used the c-buttons as buttons, not as a second directional pad. Goldeneye probably won't be a problem because the c-buttons were used for straffing and the c-stick can accomodate that. However, in games like the FIFA games, one of the c-buttons was used for turbo so you had to keep tapping it. I don't understand how you can do the same with the c-stick. I think it would be hard to keep tapping it to one side. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would like to see Nintendo let you use the wii-mote on more classic games by allowing you to map motion or tilt of the wii-mote to what would usually be buttons. For example, in an N64 game, you could map lifting the wii-mote to jumping or map shaking to throwing a punch.

Maybe the opposite should be possible too. A game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance should be playable with a gamecube controller.

Last edited:
classic controller work with gamecube games

and gamecube controller work with virtual games

just tested 5 mins ago and it works end of disscusion!

Back