COD4 Beta 2nd Profile Exploit: 23k used it, MS Fixed It and LIVE Bans for 24h

The_Mitch

UNACCEPTABLE
Jul 13, 2006
Milford Ohio
Wii Online Code
2025-2025-2025-2025
This was posted over at xbox-scene:

>> An internal Microsoft source sent us this exclusive info about the COD4 Beta '2nd Profile Exploit':
There was an exploit (it's been resolved), in the call of duty 4 beta. The public beta had 100k valid participants who qualified and were provided special tokens which allowed them to download the COD4 beta from marketplace.
There was an exploit that enabled valid beta participants to sign in with their accounts on a different machine, use their beta token and download the beta. The beta was then fully functional for any LIVE profile on that 2nd machine (even after the beta participant's account was removed). Approximately 23k consoles were used to take advantage of this exploit to illegitimately access the COD4 beta.

The exploit has been fixed to prevent any additional users from illegitimately accessing the COD4 beta.

The current POR is to issue a 24-hour console lockout that will prevent these 23k users from using their consoles to sign in to LIVE. These users will also receive a message in the dash with an explanation as to why their console has been locked out for 24 hours for violating the LIVE TOU [Terms of Use] and a warning that more severe actions may be taken if they attempt a similar action in the future (console could be banned permanently, etc.). Again, this is not a permanent console ban - it's more of a "slap on the wrist" and a warning to these 23k users who used this exploit

this is awesome! i laugh at the people who payed others on ebay to do this for them only to get banned. hopefully it will get some of the non-americans out (i dont mind playing with them but it causes alot of lag and IW wanted the beta to be USA only to help optimize the online play and then slowly let the rest of the world in)

Mitch2025 said:
this is awesome! i laugh at the people who payed others on ebay to do this for them only to get banned. hopefully it will get some of the non-americans out (i dont mind playing with them but it causes alot of lag and IW wanted the beta to be USA only to help optimize the online play and then slowly let the rest of the world in)

surely the best way to optimise online play is to let all hell break loose
and then smooth out the lag issues between countries rather than try
and cater for specific regions?

Back