codec help

T

The_Loose_Cannon

alright heres the scenario- i have a bunch of different video players and they all require codecs or atleast some with ones that play AVI, MPEG, ect.

i tried to play one of my movies on my winamp player and no video came up only sound. now sometimes with winamp, if you finish a movie and another comes on, it wont show a video so i closed out of the whole thing and started it up and nothing seemed to be playing only sound.

to clarify that i wasnt going "crazy", i checked it out on windows media player and found out that i was missing a codec. a pop up came up saying if i want to get the patch, click on "web help" and then you will be prompted to download the codecs you are missing....

thats all fine and dandy but after doing that and restarting, im still only getting sound and no video

what am i doing wrong???

(i also have divx- which i just did an update, didnt work and i also have AVI movie player)

A RAND0M TAC0 said:
get VLC media player, plays 99.9% of all videos

or get the

Combined community codec pack

you know i had VLC but i deleted it because AVI movie player is generally the same thing (even plays bin/cue films when i convert them with isobuster)

ETA- ill attempt to get it again and see what happends

BINGO!

sorry for the double post but this thread is done with i got it to work thanks to a random taco's help!

thanks a bunch it works again YAY REJOYCE!!! I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WHILE IM ON THE MIDNIGHT TOURS TONIGHT W00T!!!!!

:D

ETA- random taco you just got a rep from me :) thanks again!

You can also download an Xvid which is a modded version of DivX. Mega K codex pack is what I use, and can play most things on Windows Media Player because of it. Also, I have virtuadub mod, which allows you to recode mpeg2 (or 4, I forget) streams (DVD format of Mpeg) into DivX, which is playable on some DVD players.

I know that you've fixed the problem, but I was just offering alternatives. Hope it helps anyone that wants to convert to different formats...

Squall7 said:
You can also download an Xvid which is a modded version of DivX. Mega K codex pack is what I use, and can play most things on Windows Media Player because of it. Also, I have virtuadub mod, which allows you to recode mpeg2 (or 4, I forget) streams (DVD format of Mpeg) into DivX, which is playable on some DVD players.

I know that you've fixed the problem, but I was just offering alternatives. Hope it helps anyone that wants to convert to different formats...

well im not really converting videos to play on my computer. i leave them in their original state when i download them. if i convert them, its usually so i can burn them onto DVD and play them on my DVD player at work (i have one at home that plays DIVX movies i got for like 50$ and its a samsung works great!)

ive heard of virtuadub but the set up i got going on is the same (its just that its not all in one program, instead its DVD santa/magic iso)

thank you though! i might try to snag me virtuadub though since i am curious....maybe it works better i dunno but ill try anything

Back