Come on, Nintendo!!!!!!!

The codes suck but at least you can get into a random match relatively quickly with Pokemon. It isn't everything I was hoping for but it is about what I expected, and it is enough for online play to be an enjoyable addition to the games.

*Passes the pipe*

vagrant said:
Ok for the 6th time.

friend codes are just used to identify a specific machine. for most if not all games you won't need to use friend codes unless you want to connect to a specific person. Kind of like needing a persons IP address.

And to the Petition speds. Youmight want to wait and see how the games actually do it before whining. Because the multiplayer online connecting is going to be up to the game developer, not nintendo.

Agreed...

The only thing I didn't like about Mario Kart Online for DS was if you are playing with a friend but also want to play with more people online, then you get that percentage chance of finding your friend to play with others. That I agree about but for everything else, including the petition, stop the whining until more details come out.

Its free. Bottom line. If you don't get to choose your exact game (which you very well may be able to do) who cares? Play with your friends, or play with random people. Why is this middle ground of seeing what random people you play with so important?

2007 Q2. We'll get some kind of real online gaming channel from Nintendo then. So sit back and wait. They promise more news next month.

i just think it great nintendo lets you chose who you want to play with. its a lot more fun to play with friends than with people you dont know !! :thumbsup:

vagrant said:
Ok for the 6th time.

friend codes are just used to identify a specific machine. for most if not all games you won't need to use friend codes unless you want to connect to a specific person. Kind of like needing a persons IP address.

Wheres your source for that information?

vagrant said:

That may or may not be true (specific details about in-game connectivity are scant), but I disagree with you on a more fundamental level. You (and some others in this thread) seem to have a very narrow view that online connectivity is merely for hooking up to play games. This may be its use on the most part, but there is a lot more potential for a connected entertainment system. In my 'petition' post, I didn't even mention anything about games - I was criticizing the Wii-code system purely based on the *existing* Mii Channel functionality (sharing Mii's with others, etc).

By offering such a channel upfront, Nintendo is alluding to future functionality of a similar nature. But if they are relying on the current Wii code implementation to carry that, they're off their rockers. For software based on social-networking concepts, a peer discovery component, or user directory is pretty essential. Simple example: If this forum required users to exchange and register 'codes' on both ends before you could read anyone else's postings, would it work at all?

Secondly, even if it was just for games, requiring game-specific implementations for online play is just poor, outdated systems design. A common system/interface across games is more robust.

vagrant said:
And to the Petition speds. Youmight want to wait and see how the games actually do it before whining. Because the multiplayer online connecting is going to be up to the game developer, not nintendo.

I wasn't serious about it being a 'petition', otherwise I would have created some online thing that people can go to. It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in. And again, leaving the online connectivity up to the developer is just a poor implementation decision. Each game is going to have its own little way to hook people up, you'll have to learn new methods over again, just to do essentially the same thing. All of this can be avoided by a proper cross-software system. The only beacon of hope is that they haven't released any games with online functionality yet, so maybe we will have that after all - but I'm not crossing my fingers given Nintendo's obvious lack of foresight in designing the Wii code system.

armageddon said:
i just think it great nintendo lets you chose who you want to play with. its a lot more fun to play with friends than with people you dont know !! :thumbsup:

That doesn't have to come at the cost the isolating, user-error prone shambles that is the Wii code system. Anyway, we don't really know how games will be implementing their online play at the moment. Needless to say, though, it is entirely possible to have a system that is easier to use than the current Wii codes, and still choose to play with just friends. This isn't rocket science.

Also, what are you going to do if your schedule has been strange lately, for example, and you only have time for some multiplayer action when all your friends are asleep? You just going to sit there by yourself at 4a.m. playing single-player Wii Mario Kart?

shady78 said:
I wasn't serious about it being a 'petition', otherwise I would have created some online thing that people can go to. It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

shady78 said:
This petition calls for Nintendo of America, Inc. to provide a more usable and
practical link-up system between Wii software, such as the Mii Channel.

shady78 said:
This petition calls for Nintendo of America, Inc. to provide a solution to the
issue above, and provides ideas herein for a possible solution that covers the
arguments discussed.

shady78 said:
The petition calls for a discovery service for the Wii that will allow users to
find and connect with each other directly through the Wii console. This may be
implemented either via peer-to-peer software, or a central database, either of
which could be delivered to each Wii via a system update.

and lastly:

shady78 said:
By not addressing and resolving the issues expressed by this petition, Nintendo
of America, Inc. is presenting the message that it is not committed to its
expressed goal of servicing a wide and varied customer base with its Wii
console.

looks like a petition to me

WiiLink said:
looks like a petition to me

Yeah, pay attention to the part (actually in the bit you quoted) where I say "It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in", wise guy ;)

What that means is, it was written in the *style* of a petition, but is not actually a *real* petition.

shady78 said:
Yeah, pay attention to the part (actually in the bit you quoted) where I say "It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in", wise guy ;)

What that means is, it was written in the *style* of a petition, but is not actually a *real* petition.

no offense man but who does that? Does everything you think fall into the form of a petition? I guess I just don't understand why someone would write something in the style of a petition without it having the meaning of an actual petition. If you feel that strongly about it though, make it into a petition or send it to Nintendo as a suggestion. I still think it's too early to have any serious concerns or comments about how online will be used for games but since you seem to be upset with how it's used for mii's, I guess use one of the 2 options I stated above.

@Wiilink: None taken, and none meant here, but you are clearly entirely unfamiliar with concepts of creative writing. Who does that? Take a look around. Read stuff.

If you read my initial post in this thread, I clearly state how useless I think petitions are with Nintendo, based on their past (non) reactions to petitions.

Also, I don't think it's too early to discuss the Wii code implementation. I mean, we already have the product in our hands. The system is implemented. When are you supposed to talk about it? Once they've screwed up the actual online-gaming element as well? In any case, this *is* a forum about Wii Online, and this *is* a thread about the crappiness of the Wii code system, so I don't think discussion about that is out of place here.

shady78 said:
@Wiilink: None taken, and none meant here, but you are clearly entirely unfamiliar with concepts of creative writing. Who does that? Take a look around. Read stuff.

If you read my initial post in this thread, I clearly state how useless I think petitions are with Nintendo, based on their past (non) reactions to petitions.

Also, I don't think it's too early to discuss the Wii code implementation. I mean, we already have the product in our hands. The system is implemented. When are you supposed to talk about it? Once they've screwed up the actual online-gaming element as well? In any case, this *is* a forum about Wii Online, and this *is* a thread about the crappiness of the Wii code system, so I don't think discussion about that is out of place here.

As far as talking go, this is a forum, people don't talk like that on forums. You can call it creative writing but unless you work for Nintendo or a gaming site, talking like that doesn't get you any further than just saying "I hate this, I hate that...", "I like this, I like that"...or "they should fix this or that"

In my opinion, once more details are made available is the time to talk *more seriously* about it. I understand this is a forum, and it's meant to express opinions,but when someone writes a mock petition, and you have other people flipping out(look at the topic title), that's when I say to wait longer. The Wii is able to do update patches so anything that is 'screwed up' can always be fixed later.

WiiLink said:
As far as talking go, this is a forum, people don't talk like that on forums. You can call it creative writing but unless you work for Nintendo or a gaming site, talking like that doesn't get you any further than just saying "I hate this, I hate that...", "I like this, I like that"...or "they should fix this or that"

Ok. I hate you. You sound like a damn robot. Just kidding, just kidding. I am very sorry that you were so confused by my post. Unfortunately, I don't intend to stop posting in ways other than the options you have suggested above. Considering I've been online since 1993, I'm pretty comfortable with my 'posting to forums' capabilities. But thanks for the tip.

WiiLink said:
In my opinion, once more details are made available is the time to talk *more seriously* about it. ... The Wii is able to do update patches so anything that is 'screwed up' can always be fixed later.

Do you think those updates will really happen if people don't voice their opinions over media such as forums/etc? I work in the web industry and I know for a fact that companies these days have drones scouring the web to soak in public opinion about their products. And like I said, if the Wii code is an allusion to how Nintendo is thinking about online connectivity, I certainly don't believe it's too early to complain.

Back