Component Cable Question...

Ridewithme38 said:
Take a 480i image and show both fields simultaneously and you have 480p, or progressive. This is the native format encoded onto a DVD (Digital Versatile Disc). Both 480i and 480p are based upon the standard 525 line NTSC broadcast system."

Glad I could help you save money!

You are correct about 480i meaning interlaced and how it's taking 2 images and interlacing them together. This is why you don't see a lot of people wearing vertically striped clothing on TV, the effect of interlacing gives you that jagged edge effect on straight lines. It's also why when you take a picture of the screen with a camera you only get the top or bottom of the image. DVD is actually 480i natively, this is a big misunderstanding in the industry right now. It all has to do with the old 3:2 pulldown used to transfer film to TV. On the DVD data stream there are flags that tell the player where to interlace the images. A progressive scan DVD player just reads the flags differently and takes the two images and displays it as one solid image. It then repeats certain images to give you the proper frame rate.

I highly doubt the Wii will ever go over 480p, the hardware is just not powerful enough.

Good info Lechonlubber!
Just one more question..is the that the difference between 480i on composite and 480p on component or just 480i on both?

Ridewithme38 said:
Good info Lechonlubber!
Just one more question..is the that the difference between 480i on composite and 480p on component or just 480i on both?

Component will look better than composite no matter what the resolution. That comparison from the link must be 480i composite vs 480p component. The reason component looks better, even at 480i, is that it separates out the signals and gives you more bandwidth. BTW...the colored plugs on a component cable doesn't mean it separates red green and blue. It actually separates the color info from the b&w info and the sync signals. It separates luminance into one signal and chrominance into two signals.

Wow lechonlubber! This is great info!!
You may have just reconvinced me to buy the component cables!!

Now it all comes down to if i buy cooking Mama for the girlfriend this week or the component cables for me =)

im selling cheap component cables, they're from Mad Catz, sealed.

*coughsigcough*

i havent made an Ebay acc, but i am willing to sell these things since it took almost a month to get to my house n i went n got React Component Cables instead.

EDIT:

i do have an older brother who uses n Ebay acc. I can ask him for is info n stuff, but will take time, as he is moved out n married, so u willing to pay $20 for my component cables?

Last edited:
lechonlubber said:
Ridewithme38: That's a conventional standard definition tube TV, that won't work with a progressive scan input.

Just to expand and clarify that comment: there are some traditional tube type CRT TV's that will do progressive scan even if that particular model doesn't.

lechonlubber you are the man!

Can i ask where you found the info that said my tv wouldn't play progressive scan? i've been searching everywhere! i just want to learn as much as i can about this as possible

I got my component cables today and the graphics are SEXXXYY.
Especially that blue line in the wii main menu, it used 2 be darkish blue but now its brighter :)

Back