Component Cable

Method89

WiiChat Member
Feb 5, 2008
Hey, I really need some help.
I bought a component cable and plugged it in my Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5E.
The problem I have is that there are black bars / lines at the sides of the screen (right and left) so it's underscanned.

I have the tv-type on 480p HDTV, and also the widescreen settings on 16:9 (So please don't ask questions about that).

I do not have this problem with the tv-type on 60hz 480i.
When I put the settings on 4:3 on 480p, the screen adds even more black bars / lines.
This means that the wii added the black bars / lines by default on 480p, (right) how do I solve this.

I bought Endless Ocean and it has terrific gfx with the component cable, and I want to play it without the limitation of not having widescreen.

which do you have the wide screen settings on?
the tv or the wii?
they both may have it
my dad's sony has a few options with the push of a button

full - stretches a normal 4x3
wide - will show colored bars on the sides on a 4x3 input

i know you dont want to hear that "your not setup for wide screen" we know. just double check on both. overlooking something is easy to do

My TV has a 4:3 widescreen setting option (WSS) on EXT 4 (480p input), but I don't believe it has a 16:9 setting, or maybe it's by default (480p gets the signal for the ratio from the Wii, I think).
And yeah, I have 16:9 widescreen setting on Wii, the weird thing is, if I put the Wii option on 4:3, I get even bigger black lines, I think it maybe has to do with the ratio of 16:9 and fitting on my screen?
Is there a way then to put the ratio on 17:9 or something?
Because I noticed that when I put the TV's WSS ratio on 4:3, I get 2 very black lines, and another color of black next to the image itself on both sides which is a lighter color of black, this probably indicates that the black lines aren't from my TV, but from the Wii.

The TV I'm using is a Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5E.
I actually bought the Wii official component cable because this problem just annoyed me, (was using piranha at first) but the lines are still there.

The only option EXT 4 (480p input) has is standard-definition or high-definition on AV-Setup, but when I switch to SD it changes back to HD when I go on EXT 4, so that's not much help...
And like I mentioned the only WSS is 4:3, and it's actually widescreen by default.
And I don't have the option of overscanning or underscanning (except 4:3) the image ratio... :scared:

Back