Component? Composite? S-Video?

WiiFan0579

WiiChat Member
Feb 2, 2007
I have a 42 inch HD Plasma with 1 component, 1 HDMI, 2 composite, 1 S-video and 1 PC. I'm using my HDMI for my upconverting progressive DVD player, My 1 component is being used by my HD Digital cable TV and my PC port with my PC obviously.

Should I settle with hooking up Wii via s-video? Don't want to sacrifice HD cable or upcoverting DVD player to S-Video or composite, but don't want to connect Wii to composite either.. (hear it sucks) plus really excited about Virtual Console which I heard won't run on S-Video or Composite anyways....

What to do?!?!

If I were you, I would hook up the HD Cable via your HDMI because some channels are true 720p and 1080i. While the DVD using the HDMI or components don't really make a difference at all. If your HDTV is a good one it will upconvert the dvd movie by it self when using the component cables to your native res. Anyway, get a component cable for you wii and get a component switch box.

jlspec said:
If I were you, I would hook up the HD Cable via your HDMI because some channels are true 720p and 1080i. While the DVD using the HDMI or components don't really make a difference at all. If your HDTV is a good one it will upconvert the dvd movie by it self when using the component cables to your native res. Anyway, get a component cable for you wii and get a component switch box.
Although the HD Cable box has HDMI out, the Cable company doesn't support it, visuals go haywire and are procarious. I'd like to avoid a switchbox if I can. From what I know of the Wii, it doesn't really take full advantage of component video, but I'm really looking forward to the Virtual Console which I heard doesn't work well with composite/s-video.

You got a TV like that and no surround sound? You should have a receiver that is capable of switching those inputs. I think that's the only reasonable solution here ;)

I have an Audio receiver but that doesn't really solve my cuurent issue.

although you said you didnt want a switchbox, i think it may be your best idea..

i have similar inputs on my tv, 1 component, 1 HDMI, the rest irrelevant for this conversation..

anyway i have a wii and an xbox 360. i found out that there is not HDMI cable for the 360, so i was stuck using it through component. (could have used the vga input, but wanted to keep that free when im using my pc through it)

i got component wii cables to see what the picture quality would be like. i know you say it doesnt necessarily use the full potential (only being 480p) but there was still a nice difference. i would recommend getting some components and getting a decent switchbox.

as long as you can avoid a cheaper box then you should have no problems :thumbsup:

Back