Component Hook UP

dds

WiiChat Member
Oct 22, 2006
Hey guys got a quick question. Whats the best way to hook up the Component cables for Wii. Should i go directly into the tv or through my receiver? The guys at future shop said to hook the green, blue , light red into the tv and the white and dark red into the receiver. However, my receiver is located on a stand far from the TV so would it be okay to hook everything up to the TV?

Hook everything to the TV unless you have a receiver for your stereo system. The dark red and white is for left and right audio.

Last edited:
Evi1d33d said:
Hook everything to the TV unless you have a receiver for your stereo system. The dark red and white is for left and right audio.

I think he mentioned that he has a receiver.

I'd definetly connect it to the receiver for better sound, if your receiver has 5.1 speakers and Dolby Pro logic I/II support that is.

I also need to connect more than one component source to my TV so I use my A/V receiver to switch between audio and video signals via remote.

It depends on what type of reciever you have. If it can decode Dolby Pro-Logic II, then definitely connect the red and white to the reciever. What this will do is actually create a matrix of surround which is the next best thing to full blown 5.1 surround sound. Then just connect the component cables directly into your television. You COULD use your reciever as a hub as long as it has component connections. In that case just connect the Wii's component cable into the in ports on your reciever then connect the reciever component out's to your television component in's. Sounds alittle complicated, but it's very easy. If you need any other help just post here or PM me.

Your question doesn't really make any sense. Yes of course you can hook them all into the TV. The receiver is used to connect multiple devices, typically to allow stereo sound output for surround sound.
So yes you can connect the speaker wired into the tv, it will use the tv speakers for sound then.

Well i am assuming the my receiver outs are already connected to my tv because i have my dvd player and vhs player hooked into the reciver along with the surround sound so would i just stick all the wires into the component spot on my reciver and thats it?

No need to run outs and all that stuff like you said?

My receiver is a Yamaha htr-5650 and if i do hook my audio into the receiver i can still play with out having surround sound on right?

simple... The vid cable to the TV... the sound cables buy a spliter hook the sound into both the tv and reciever and turn on surround... you'll have the soundcoming out of all ends and ABC is right if you have one that can handle prologic then you'll be almost as pleased as 5.1

yea i really dont wanna buy a spilter the component cables are pushing my wii budget as it is so what am i left to do

i have a similar delima. i ran out of componant cables on my flat panel dell tv. taken up by my Digital Cable and Xbox 360. soo idk where the hell i am going to plug in my Wii once i get it....in june........ugh

They make multiple input cables that take three sets of device inputs and consolidate them into one set of inputs so three devices in one set of holes... main thing is to make sure to only use one device at a time

I have a A/V switch box that i hook all my systems up to. i have all the audio from the switch box running directly to my receiver. and video goes straight to the TV. you can get switch boxes like this for around $25 us. Keeps everything nice and tidy.

Back