Component problem

prime_vci

WiiChat Member
May 28, 2007
I just got a wii yesterday "finally found some" and i go to hook it up with some component cable i go to turn the wii on and i see no picture, i tired putting it on another set of compnent the "hd input" on my tv and it just does the wavie thing and cant read any of it, so i try the normal av cable and it shows video i was wondering if anyone has had this problem?

ok i have one more question is there anyway to get it 480p on boot uop with out halfing tio switch it in the menu so my hdtv inputs will detect that and display it right..?

question, what brand are those component cables?

From my knowlegde you cant change it to 480p on start up
you can try: booting up with composite cables (the one included) going to settings and changing it to 480p then turning off your wii and trying the component cables

and If you doesnt solved your problem:

1. Check if your tvs support the 480p resolution (even though you have an hdtv it might not support it)

2. Faulty component cables?
It may be the component cables are faulty, try them on a friend/neighbours/family member's hdtv and if it works then your tv has a problem

Its probably one of the two

Yea thats the problem my tv is acting a little wird my normal compnent cable inputs i cannot get to work and that only leaves me with the hi-def component cable input witch wont display 480I for some reason so i jsut get a bunch of jagged edge i geuss my onyl real option at this point is to jsut go with s-video and be happy with that

your wii came with.. composite cables (480i, as in yellow, white, red) not component cables (480p)

i havent heard of normal composite cables not working with a wii, but if these two dont work with your wii maybe you shouldnt try your luck with s-video

thetrufinder said:
your wii came with.. composite cables (480i, as in yellow, white, red) not component cables (480p)

i havent heard of normal composite cables not working with a wii, but if these two dont work with your wii maybe you shouldnt try your luck with s-video

His OP mentions the use of a pair of cables, so I assume that means he has the component and composite cables.

The component cables include 5 plugs, 3 for the video and 2 for the audio. Make sure you're not mixing up the two red plugs (one is for audio). The Wii automatically switches to 480p when the component cables are plugged in and the only thing you need to do after that is tell it whether or not to display in widescreen. If you have an HDTV, then you want to set it to widescreen.

If you're using the actual component cables and your TV is capable of 480p (very unlikely that it can't) and it doesn't look right, make sure you have matched the colors (blue and green are easy to mix up!)

Back