Component Video VS Composite - Is there a real difference?

Retman

Wii Player
Apr 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
7002-2691-0805-1516
Since i got my LCD today i noticed it has Component Video inputs. When i seen them i thought "Wii" but then i was wondering: is there much difference

Is it worth the £6.99 (price i might get them at) for a set of component cables?

if your TV has component, its best to use them with the Wii. while the Wii cannot put out HighDef, the component cables will make the picture more clear for you

I use to be using Scart, which wasalso a improvement over composite.

Interestingly enough, I have been using the official RGB SCART up until today when i decided to buy the official Component lead.

Anyway, upon testing them both on my 26" HDTV, I noticed that SCART actually gives a slightley better picture quality in 480i than the Component gives in 480p. I'm sure there will be an argument from someone here LOL. But i just find it very odd after all the fuss people make about Component. (Component on my 360 is beautiful though:rolleyes: )

Dont even bother with Composite if you have an LCD screen, i find it almost unplayable and ugly.

I'm using composite with my LCD right now because i don't want to always get up and change the scart with the scart changer.

I guess i'll get component.

Brand Nubian said:
Quit Postin **** Man Reply My Answers I Need Em Now

1) Don't swear
2) you didn't ask any questions
3) don't spam
4) you don't had a cap to every freakin' word.

Component totally worth it. Bettwer image quality than the composite and smoother movement (progressive scan)

EVILFOXHOUND said:
Interestingly enough, I have been using the official RGB SCART up until today when i decided to buy the official Component lead.

Anyway, upon testing them both on my 26" HDTV, I noticed that SCART actually gives a slightley better picture quality in 480i than the Component gives in 480p. I'm sure there will be an argument from someone here LOL. But i just find it very odd after all the fuss people make about Component. (Component on my 360 is beautiful though:rolleyes: )

Dont even bother with Composite if you have an LCD screen, i find it almost unplayable and ugly.

Are you crazy? If your TV is able to play 480P then you want to get a cable that allows you to display that. You have no idea what your talking about. Get a component cable for any TV that displays 480P:frown2:

Component gives great colour and sharpness, but one problem with component is that it reveals flaws in some games.
Excite Truck has some ugly dithering in places - for you old pc gamers, its like the 16 bit colour in games using early pc 3d accelerators. I noticed this too with resident evil 4, mainly the sky (both playing on Wii and Gamecube).
Anyone else has notice this? (Happens on both my hdtvs, so it is the games).

I wouldn't say that component reveals the flaws....

It's more like Composite Hides the jagged pixels, by blurring the picture ,..... But do you really want a blurry picture, just so you don't notice the "flaws" as much ?

dogon1013 said:

It's more like Composite Hides the jagged pixels, by blurring the picture ,..... But do you really want a blurry picture, just so you don't notice the "flaws" as much ?

well said...

dogon1013 said:

Given the choice, I'll take the progressive scan component picture over the composite. But I reserve the right to ***** about it. :D
I still say component reveals the flaws. Glass half full/half empty.

Back