Component Video VS Composite - Is there a real difference?

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Are you crazy? If your TV is able to play 480P then you want to get a cable that allows you to display that. You have no idea what your talking about. Get a component cable for any TV that displays 480P:frown2:

Like I said, i use the Component cable but I still stand by my argument that the RGB scart gives slightly richer colours.

Well, I guess i'm just used to seeing beautiful images coming from my 360. The Wii looks like **** no matter what you use to display it. But graphics arent why you got your Wii, right?

And as for your comment about me not knowing what I am talking about. I happen to be a Cinematographer, my job relies on seeing a good picture and having extensive knowlege of digital image distribution. So think before making statements like that about people you dont know ;)

Wanted to back up EVILFOXHOUND. Interlaced RGB should provide a better picture than interlaced component on a display that supports both styles of input. The RGB does not have to be preprocessed before display like component does.

AZ_Wii_Tard: The deinterlacing in his display might be higher quality than normal. I know that my tv is able to do a better 3:2 pulldown and deinterlace than most progressive scan dvd players so I can get a better picture with an interlaced unit!

Last edited:
ciper said:
The deinterlacing in his display might be higher quality than normal. I know that my tv is able to do a better 3:2 pulldown and deinterlace than most progressive scan dvd players so I can get a better picture with an interlaced unit!

3:2 pulldown is only used to for movie to DVD transfer, not for video games. A lot of games are design to run at 60 frames per second already so there is no synchronisation problem.

(This is why when you take these games to play on a PAL TV, a 50 frame per second system, you get a 17% reduction of game speed)

However movies are shot at 24 frames per second, to transfer it to a 60 frame per second, NTSC system, the original movie repeats film frames in a recurring 3:2 pattern. In other words, the film frame sequence is A, A, A, B, B, C, C, C, D, D, and so on. This is why it's called "3:2" pulldown. EDIT: In PAL land, movies are transfer to DVD using a slightly different 2:2 pulldown technique (24 fps -> 50 fps PAL system).

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Question: So if I'm going to be primarily connected to a 42" LCD HD tv, should I buy an RGB SCART or a component? Is it a matter of preference? Does it brand matter when buying? I noticed many third party component cables don't elaborate on the shielding used.

All I am saying is that the component cable versus the standard cable is a huge difference in what your picture is. I do not have scart since I live in the US so I have no idea what that does. But if you have a TV capable of 480P then your best picture will come from a Component cable RGB.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
All I am saying is that the component cable versus the standard cable is a huge difference in what your picture is. I do not have scart since I live in the US so I have no idea what that does. But if you have a TV capable of 480P then your best picture will come from a Component cable RGB.

Are all component cables RGB? (probably a stupid question)

Does it matter which brand of component I buy?

I've heard the shielding in the Nintendo version is subpar.

Hi Sporty,

I read your 1st post and looks like you are from US. SCART is a European standard, it's like more composite cable rather than component cable.

There is only one type of component cable. The Red/Green/Blue plugs your see are used by the Wii to send the three signals (Y-Pb-Pr) to the TV. This component cable is capable of delivery up to 1080P signal, since the Wii can only go up to 480P, just buy the cheap one and you will still get excellent result.

I would say the built-quality of the Nintendo cable is medium, for the same money you can get better quality ones, or same quality for less money.

Last edited:
As far as I know all component cable are RGB. I would also only buy the Nintendo Component Cable for the fact that if anything ever happened to your Wii or the Cables it would be warrantied by Nintendo since it's their product. I have not had any problems with mine. There are a bunch of cables that work, ie: gamestop brand (game shark I think), which to me look low quality and are $50 last time I checked. I know best buy and circuit city sell some but they too are $50-$60. Ebay has a bunch from $10-$20 depending on which ones you get. But I would never trust any of those. To each his own I guess but in my opinion I would stick to the $30 Nintendo brand cables.

dchao said:
Hi Sporty,

I read your 1st post and looks like you are from US. SCART is a European standard, it's like more composite cable rather than component cable. And it does include the R/G/B signals for connection to a PC monitor (see explanation about R/G/B below)

There is only one type of component cable. The Red/Green/Blue plugs your see represent the Y-Pb-Pr signals. The component cable is capable of delivery up to 1080P signal, since the Wii can only go up to 480P, just buy the cheap one and you will still get excellent result.

I would say the built-quality of the Nintendo cable is medium, for the same money you can get better quality ones, or same quality for less money.

Yeah, I figured RGB stood for Red Green Blue. Any recommendations for well shielded cables? I saw the Monster Cables were 60$ (they're always overpriced). You answered my question perfectly, thanks!

Last edited:
Mitch2025 said:
while the Wii cannot put out HighDef, the component cables will make the picture more clear for you

No offense, but you are wrong. The Wii puts out 720x480i/p. BOTH are HighDef. Technically, anything above 640x480 is considered HD.

Sportyyyy said:
Yeah, I figured RGB stood for Red Green Blue. Any recommendations for well shielded cables? I saw the Monster Cables were 60$ (they're always overpriced). You answered my question perfectly, thanks!
Not sure you NEED shielded. I bought MadCatz component cable ($19.99us), but I've see the cheaper www.meritline.com cable and it's just as good. I can't tell a difference between either and Monster's.

Sportyyyy said:
Does it matter which brand of component I buy?

I've heard the shielding in the Nintendo version is subpar.

My first component cables were third party ones (can't remember the make). Although they were not cheap crappy ones and seemed quite well built. However they picked up some noise in the picture (Very noticeable!), it looked like it was from electrical interference (I think it was my PC nearby).

However, I ditched them for the official Nintendo Component Cable and the picture was noise free.

Hope this info helps.

Back