Computer help...

Desi_Wii_G said:
What about my shut down problem, I think that those things just speed up your computer... Besides only about 1/4 of my computer space is used up...
My old laptop did that to me, wiped the whole thing clean and it worked fine for a while, but I think my processor just couldn't handle what I was trying to do with it. How old is the pc? I'm pretty sure it's a pretty gnarly virus you have, because thats what the main issue was with mine (according to the guy who fixed it).

blueovalboy7 said:
My old laptop did that to me, wiped the whole thing clean and it worked fine for a while, but I think my processor just couldn't handle what I was trying to do with it. How old is the pc? I'm pretty sure it's a pretty gnarly virus you have, because thats what the main issue was with mine (according to the guy who fixed it).
im sorry but i just had to lol at "gnarly" XD

Ok one last thing. My computer fan is pretty loud. It runs for probably 22 hours a day. Is there any way to reduce/stop the noise?...

Desi_Wii_G said:
Ok one last thing. My computer fan is pretty loud. It runs for probably 22 hours a day. Is there any way to reduce/stop the noise?...
turn your computer off when you aren't using it :wtf:

PokeChamp said:
turn your computer off when you aren't using it :wtf:
Yes I would, but I am afraid of the whole not shutting down properly so I leave it on.

Desi_Wii_G said:
Yes I would, but I am afraid of the whole not shutting down properly so I leave it on.
ok, then toss it and get a newer one. XD

sorry, im not being much help >.<

Hmm, my advice first would be to clean the registry and use a spyware/ adware cleaner. All spyware, adware and more help to destroy your computers response time. My old computer has the same problem, I scanned the computer and it had little over 2, 000 spyware files, the next day (as if in some poetic way) it wouldn't boot up ever again.

Any idea how to get my laptop fan to work? It worked like... a few weeks ago... but now it's stopped working. So it just burns me.. and melts the plastic bits of my laptop.

If a fan stops working, it generally needs to be replaced - while this is a pretty simply procedure on a desktop, it's a little tricky on a notebook. Is it still under warranty?

To the OP [and thread]:

There are two major [potential] performance bottlenecks. Drive access and processor/memory overhead.

The drive (as several people have indicated) can and will become fragmented - all OS's do this. It's because space is used and re-allocated for use constantly. Someone posted a Wiki definition, so i won't get into the technical details, but the more fragmented a drive is, the more time it take to read/write because instead of reading from 1 to 100 it had to read 1-10, then check for the next location then read 500-505, then check again, etc. (all those stop/start and checking the file allocation table takes up time).

So defrag :)

The second item is memory resident apps (especially those you don't need or want). You probably notice how your machine gets slower as you run more concurrent programs? This is because the processor has to divide it's time among them. Now think if your machine is running 200 extra programs in the form of drivers, background apps, AV software, etc., etc. You want to make sure all the programs running are essential - by definition virii, spyware, etc., are NOT yet they still use processor time (cycles).

This is bad - so remove them manually or by using anti-spy, AV, etc.

*If* the memory usage gets so extreme that you run out of physical memory (this is RAM/chip based) and your machine has to start swapping programs on/off your hard drive, you'll have an order of magnitude slowdown (HD access being +much+ slower than RAM based access).

So for optimum performance:

- A defragmented HD
- No extra cycle robbing apps running

Unfortunately, a machine gets so sloppy with constant app installs, re/uninstalls, fragmentation, giant registries of dead entries (that effect registry lookup times for legitmate apps), etc., sometimes the best thing to do is a fresh re-install. I generally try to do this about once every 12-18 months just to keep things perky.

OK, well I was on Youtube and saw a guy talking about the task manager. He said the CPU Usage should be low, when it reaches 100% its is very slow. Would it be safe to end these following process's?:System and System Idle Process maybe that could be why my fan is always on, the usage is always around 50 % because of those two things.

Back