connect24 == Xbox Live?

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
I'm loving my wii more each day, and I"m waiting anxiously for connect24 to go online. I just have 1 question/concern. Every time I read something that speaks about connect24 is talks about the distribution of updates, or user-created maps, etc etc. So far I have never heard anyone talk about online gaming on the wii. Split-screen is always nice, but it would be awsome to play an online First Person Shooter with the wiimote. Is connect24 the equivallent to Xbox Live in that respect -- not just about file sharing, but also about real online multiplayer?

Please tell me this is coming!

Connect 24 isn't exactly the equivalent of Xbox Live, rather it just means the console is always online, even if it is switched off (you can turn Connect 24 on or off). You can already download updates and stuff for the console itself, but unfortunately there's no games online at the moment, although Super Smash Brothers Brawl is supposed to be online when it comes out.

aah ok. but will connect24, or just the wii's online capabilities in general, be used as extensively for online gaming as xbox live?

SSB sounds cool! I'd really like a FPS though as it supports more people.

i wonder if it will be a subscription service?

thendis said:
aah ok. but will connect24, or just the wii's online capabilities in general, be used as extensively for online gaming as xbox live?
I have no idea, it depends on the games developers and how many are willing to support it. Given the success of Xbox Live, there'll probably be at least a few online games.

SSB sounds cool! I'd really like a FPS though as it supports more people.

i wonder if it will be a subscription service?
Nintendo games are supposedly free to play online, but third party publishers could charge their own fees for playing online on their games.

Back