Connecting to an 802.11g network

Battousai2

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
I've been experimenting with connecting my wii to my current network setup (g-only, wpa). What I've found is that it refuses to connect to any 802.11g-based network. When i have my router completely open and set to b-only or mixed, the wii will connect fine. When I test it with g-only it will not connect, giving that common 51330 error. This one setting is all that i need to change to cause it to fail.

So what'd I'd like to verify is that the wii does in fact support g-only networks and if anyone else has been able to connect like this (to a g-only, NOT mixed).

My router is a linksys wrt54gs v1.1 running dd-WRT v23 sp1. Thanks for your help.

I don't know. My router is currently mixed. I'll try it later to see what happens

Just for the record, I've found the samething too.

If I have my 802.11g network setup with G only mode and WPA2 security. The Wii never will connect, even when I type in the correct WPA2 key. It just keeps failing with the error 51330 all the time.

Switch the wireless device into b/g mode and it works fine with b/g mixed mode and WPA2.

It would lead me to believe the Wii wireless is not 802.11g capable, since it dont work in g only mode.

Anyone else found something similar or confirmation. I see they class the unit as both b and g capable, but I dont seem to be able to make it work with g mode only with WPA2 security.

I believe the Wii's wifi card is 802.11b only - however, the 802.11g standard allows for backward compatibility with 802.11b - this is why you can enable mixed mode in most 802.11g routers (and have to, in order to get your Wii working with it).

shady78 said:
I believe the Wii's wifi card is 802.11b only - however, the 802.11g standard allows for backward compatibility with 802.11b - this is why you can enable mixed mode in most 802.11g routers (and have to, in order to get your Wii working with it).

Yeah I know, but this means the specs advertised saying the Wii is 802.11g and 802.11b capable is false. It's only 802.11b (and will only work with 802.11g routers/ap's if placed in mixed mode)

Just as well I have a number of AP's available to myself, will turn one into a dedicated 802.11b device on a seperate channel to that of my 802.11g network. That way the 802.11g devices don't have to go slow due to the b devices sharing the wireless AP.

Yeah, it's strange. Even their support page recommending routers seems to be inaccurate. See:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterChoose.jsp

From the page:

What to look for:

* 802.11G/ 802.11B (or mixed)
Most routers currently sold offer these settings. Check the box to make sure the router supports these broadcast standards. Routers that mention 802.11N or pre-N (as well MIMO) may not be compatible with the Wii.

Mixed mode is not a good idea, as I believe it slows the 802.11g devices down when the 802.11b devices are using the shared router/access point in mixed mode.

Oddly enough I have heard from someone else who reckons they can connect to an 802.11g router/ap with WPA2 security. And claim to not using mixed mode. Yet I cant get it to even work unless I enabled mixed mode.

Anyone else happening to have any further information about what works and what don't works.

I'd love for the Wii to work with my 802.11g network and wpa2 security mode. Without the need to use mixed mode option. But it appear either the Wii is 802.11b only, or the 802.11g support is not 100%.

tank said:
the only difference between B and G is that one is faster. But I'm pretty sure the Wii is simply not G enabled.

It's probably a little more then just the speed, but we won't go about comparing the spec of each wireless standard.

I am guessing the fellow who reckons his works on 802.11g with WPA2 actually has mixed mode enabled (and doesn't even realise).

purana said:
Mixed mode is not a good idea, as I believe it slows the 802.11g devices down when the 802.11b devices are using the shared router/access point in mixed mode.

Oddly enough I have heard from someone else who reckons they can connect to an 802.11g router/ap with WPA2 security. And claim to not using mixed mode. Yet I cant get it to even work unless I enabled mixed mode.

Anyone else happening to have any further information about what works and what don't works.

I'd love for the Wii to work with my 802.11g network and wpa2 security mode. Without the need to use mixed mode option. But it appear either the Wii is 802.11b only, or the 802.11g support is not 100%.

The Wii uses an 802.11b driver. Check out one of the disassemby sites and see for yourself. This means mixed mode is required and yes, that does slow 802.11g devices a bit. For any normal DSL or cable connection however, it doesn't make a lick of difference as your Internet connection is still the limiting speed factor.

Last edited:
I believe the problem is with WPA TKIP. I'm not able to connect with TKIP as well. Did you give WPA AES a try?

Only Connects when Using B Only Mode

I was struggling for the past day to get my Wii to connect and finally found that setting my Netgear WGR614 wireless router to "B" only mode did the trick. I have never had a problem connecting a laptop to my wireless network in the past 2 years in "G and B" mode and I tried what I thought was everything to get the connection right - double checking my WEP code, disabling the WEP encryption, etc and always getting a 51330 error. Finally after reading thru this thread thought I'd give "B" only mode a shot and it worked - shouldn't have but it did.

wii is B and G i tested

Im using a belkin router wich does not talk to the wii nomather what i tried but my laptop has no prob so it no receives the signal from my router and send it to the wii troug a HERCULES usb wifi transmiter stick 802.11 G works super now

Back