connecting to HDTV

bmagin

WiiChat Member
Aug 25, 2007
Basic question on connecting to an HDTV w/ component cables...

I have a 42'' plasma and just got the wii component cables. Problem is the TV is mounted on the wall and it will be nearly impossible to connect.

Is there a way to connect the component cables directly from the receiver to the wii?

Sorry, not an A/V wiz..

Is the receiver hooked up to the TV? If the receiver is hooked up to the TV with some sort of video cable then yes, you should be able to do that.

The receiver and the TV are connected to the cable box...should I be connecting the wii through the cable box?

I can't believe this is being asked. Let someone who knows do it.

It depends on how your system is hooked up.

If the video and audio output of the digital box is hooked into the receiver, and the output of the receiver goes to the TV, then yes, assuming your receiver has Component inputs on it, and it is using component cabled to go to the TV, you can hook the Wii into the component inputs on the receiver, and then select that input on the receiver, and you should be good to go.

If it's hooked up where the picture from the digital box goes directly to the TV, and just audio is sent to the receiver, then you will have to pull down the TV (assuming to side inputs) and hook the Wii into it.

GreenEnvy....thanks for the help. Really appreciate it, this is definitely the case.

GreenEnvy,

Thanks for addressing this question; it's one I had too.

Do you know what equipment I would need if I have my receiver & Wii box were in another room? The receiver will be operated by a radio frequency remote, but how would Wii get the signals from the controllers?

Thanks!

leslieinva said:
GreenEnvy,

Thanks for addressing this question; it's one I had too.

Do you know what equipment I would need if I have my receiver & Wii box were in another room? The receiver will be operated by a radio frequency remote, but how would Wii get the signals from the controllers?

Thanks!
You could probably do this with a wireless sensor bar. (The sensor bar actually only shines light at the wii remote--the wii remote sends all of its data to the wii via radio frequency.)

toxigenic said:
Operating range for the Wiimotes is approx 35 feet.
At least 35ft. I can still hear sounds and interact with the Wii from a room on the opposite side of my house. There shouldn't be any reason I guy couldn't put the Wii in the basement and distribute the signal to any TV in your house. Just use a battery powered sensor bar.

mym6 said:
At least 35ft. I can still hear sounds and interact with the Wii from a room on the opposite side of my house. There shouldn't be any reason I guy couldn't put the Wii in the basement and distribute the signal to any TV in your house. Just use a battery powered sensor bar.

Nintendos Offical statement is 35ft. However with a basement there could be latency issues, depending what the floor is made out of, etc. This is bluetooth after all.

The real distance limit is the IR signal from the WiiMote for the pointer on screen. For most game required onscreen pointer, the limit is up to 8 feet (from the sensor).

billcsho said:
The real distance limit is the IR signal from the WiiMote for the pointer on screen. For most game required onscreen pointer, the limit is up to 8 feet (from the sensor).

Yup but remember the Sensor bar is only plugged into the Wii for power, and does not actually do any data sensing, so one could easily use any powered IR LED bar, that may power more than 8 feet.

Back