console generations thread

Jun 16, 2007
i created this thread to compare different generations of consoles, for example, the ps2, gamecube, and xbox generation and the wii, xbox360, and
ps3 generation......... has anyone noticed that nintendo went from worst with the gamecube, (ps2 and xbox were better) to the best with wii? (wii is the best, ps3 is awsome, xbox360 sucks)

Unfortunately, I think the Gamecube was way underrated last gen...it's a fantastic console, especially the Nintendo franchises, just lacked a few key elements to put it over the top...hence where the Wii makes up for all that, especially seeing as the Wii is just slightly more powerful than the Gamecube with the all empowering motion controls we all have grown to love so much. The Wii has definitely made a leap from the back of the pack to the first place spot for Nintendo as far as we can tell from the numbers.

As for this generation, I don't agree that the 360 is as you say...it's loved and revered by many millions of people. It's still going to be a few years before we see who's on top, and yes it is very interesting to keep up with. It reminds me of the glory years Nintendo had back in the years of the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis...but then comes the Playstation and the market hasn't been the same since...well, until now.

well, i know xbox360 has sold more than the ps3, but thats because people didnt want to pay $600 and wanted to wait a few years when the price was lowered, but i bet most people in general would prefer the ps3 over the xbox360, after all, the only thing xbox/xbox360 has over ps2/ps3 is Halo, and after halo, ps3 has every game as xbox360, plus more (FEAR, call of duty 3, rainbow six/tom clancy series are all shared by the ps3 and xbox360) and ps3 has resistence fall of man to balance out
halo 3

steelersfatboy:

get your facts straight. Halo is not the only xbox exclusive. PS3 does NOT have every game xbox has except halo. ps3's library is rediculously small compared to xbox's.

i think we have a fanboy.

anyways im discovering the cube isnt the "gay kiddie" console it appeared to be. dont get me wrong, i think it's safe to say it lost the last gen war. but it had a few cool exclusives. id have to say ps2 came out on top. the amount of games for it is rediculous plus it's held its value better than the other 2 systems and had free online. various other reasons. xbox live is deffinately a plus but its just not as cool as free online.

as far as this gen goes i think the xbox WILL come out on top eventually,(between microsoft/sony) unless Sony pulls multiple miricles out of their ass. personally, id like to see the PS3 beat xbox. its obviously the better console as far as hardware and such goes.

Wii will come out on top though. its a great console that doesnt target core gamers only and tahts the other 2 systems downfall. i cant see granny dishing out 600 dollars to play resistance lol but to play wii sports or wii fit, hell yeah!

anyone forget that the dreamcast was part of the ps2. gc, and xbox generation, so technically gamecube wasnt the worst , and xbox didnt beat gc by that much, wasnt it just like 2 milion?

Microsoft said that they were dead last in the console wars. The X-box didn't pull in as much money as the GC(Probably because they had to buy their way into the market, like the PS1). Unlike the PS1, the X-box and GC were owned by the PS2's insane sales records. If anything I'd say second place was almost a tie, and didn't put a dent in the PS2.

Despite low sales, Nintendo has always managed to pull in profit off their major consoles. The crazy ventures like Virtual Boy, Power Glove, and Rob the Robot were true failures. All companies produce failures at some point.

i don't know if i think Wii is the best. it's sure a nice system but comparing it to the two other consoles is a joke. i'm not bashing the console. i think it's a great console but technology wise it's really nothing we haven't seen before. but even with a fan base that tops 360 and PS3, i wondering why i haven't seen many killer apps for the consoles. i mean there is mario, zelda, metroid, and ssmb... and??? i mean those titles are good but are we going to see anything else than just 1st party games? not saying that the 1st party games aren't top notch, but where are the 3rd party exclusives for the console?

as for the 360 - i think it's a good system. it's easy to develop for and they have a pretty good library as of right now and with the killer app Halo 3 coming out, it's going to rock. but the bad thing about the system is that is not a totally reliable piece of hardware. i mean they have such a good thing going on for the console - the games, the 3rd party support, but a system that craps on you???

as for the PS3 - sales aren't good. well it's not where it is suppose to be. sources have said that sony is going to release a 40 gig version at 399 and a new price drop for the 80 gig version, down to 499. that is going to happen real soon. hopefully that will boost the sales. unfortunately this is exactly what happens when a company wants to put out something new. it's harder to develop for because it's using something that is totally different and well because it's something new. i like the fact that they are using blu ray disc because there is no question about the fact that the more space you have, the more things you get out of a game. the only problem is because everything is new the cost will be high. and that is why it's harder to market for this system. and as for the developers they think probably the same way - why pay more and make the same or less profits while we can develop for less money and make the same amount of money?

so to sum it up -

the Wii is a console that is still lacking some 3rd party support. devil may cry? RE 5? unreal? that's just to name a few. it's a great system but where are games? after this year, which means after mario, ssmb, metroid, and zelda - what will it be next year? the same thing? kinda... boring ya?

the 360 is has a nice package right now. the games, the online support, and at a good price. but with a system with serious hardware issues that is costing a company 1 billion dollars, and plus a load of unhappy customers, i would think they'd be losing a few customers even with a 3 year warranty.

the PS3 has it all - the 3rd party support, the technology, and a stable console (for once, sony did it right). yet they have an up hill battle because of the price. it's high and well, because of the price customer are picking the 2 other systems over it. it's got some marketing battles that they gotta win or else it's basically over. with a low fan base, that's really going to bring down just about everything. will we see the next Final Fantasy on the next-gen XBOX or Nintendo but not the next Playstation? weird but hey, it might just happen.

The Wii was written off as a failure before it even launched by virtually every single game company(Even I thought it'd do badly when I first saw the controller). Imagine the surprise when they found out gamers were fed up with the price hikes on games. The Wii has a lot of potential. But the reality is they have to build up a 3rd party base that pretty much abandoned them weeks before the console launched in November. So it will take time to build up a decent library of games. This includes the PS3. If developers abandon Sony even for a year, it'll take another year for them to get back on track.

It's kind of annoying how fickle game companies can be when picking a console, and still not taking the PC industry seriously. I was told this long ago, "Game companies take big gambles in everything except in what matters."

Back