Controller advice for non-Wii Nintendo games

Caragol

WiiChat Member
Oct 23, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the best forum, or if hardware or general are better suited, but my question sort of fits into all.

Here's the deal, when I was a kid, I received my NES for Christmas and played it endlessly, every game I could find. Since then, I haven't had a game console (except the original Gameboy). This weekend my wife fell in love with the Wii at a friends house so I went out and bought one, excited myself that I could download and play old NES games. I'm thrilled with that, but Zelda is my thing and I want to play every version I can get my hands on for this thing including any SuperNintendo, GameCube or N64 versions I can find. So, my question is, what controllers should I be looking for to play these? Should I get the classic controller and a GameCube controller? Or am I OK with just a GameCube controller? What's my best bet for playability here, knowing that I probably won't know the difference but want the best experience? There are adapters for SNES controllers, but is this the same as the classic controller? And what about N64 controllers is the GameCube controller similar enough or are they much different? Can I get an adapter for the N64 if they are? And are compatible GameCube controllers any good, or should I be looking for a used original one?

I need your expertise here. Please help!
Thanks!

with the classic controller, it acts as the controller with ALL of the VC games. The games from NES of course don't need the classic controller plugged in to work, because you can turn the remote itself on the side and use it like the good 'ol NES controller. a few other games outside of the NES also work with the remote sideways, but i don't remember which ones, you'll have to look to see what controllers are available.

With the adapters, i think the majority of them are wired, so you have to be careful if you get excited and yank the controller when you play, but with the classic controller, It's wireless except for the connector to the remote. I like that a lot better GC controller trying to play VC games. now i can just lay down. Yes, i am lazy by nature. you COULD get a cable extender for the GC controller, but thats the point if you could go wireless.

As for the controls, i think they're realativly the same. I enjoy the classic controller much more because it feels like the SNES controller, which reminds me of my childhood :)

Also, you can move the cursor on the screen with the classic controller without having to pick up the remote itself. there is a home button built in, and it just makes it easier. You can pick up the remote of course, but the controller is just as capable. I don't think the GC controller can do that.

Overall, i like the classic controller better, and i seldom use the GC controller except to play GC games of course.

So a classic controller and a GC controller, but no need for anything else like trying to get a GC adapter for a SNES on N64 controller to plug into the Wii.

Thanks!

As of right now, I only have the Gamecube controller to play the VC games on. It works just fine, but I love the GC controllers. I am probably getting a classic controller soon though, just for the main purpose of having a complete modded Wii Controller set :cool:

JAKE196 said:
well the only games you can't play with a GC controller are turbographic whatever, so i'd get a gc controller so you can buy and play GCN games.

Turbografx16 works with the Gamecube controller. Well, at least Battle Lode Runner does.

Wow, excellent! Thanks for everyone's response. I've picked up a wireless GC controller from Ebay (new but Chinese made compatible). Hopefully it's not complete junk, if it is I'll drop by GameStop or someplace to see if I can get an original controller. Depending on how well that works I may also grab the classic controller, but I'll wait to see how good I am with the GC controller first.

Thanks again!

Best place to check out for Gamecube controllers is a flea market or pawn shop. Lots of people are getting rid of Gamecubes lately. I got a set of wireless ones the other day for $20. They cost that much used for one of them at Gamestop.

Back