Controls in Zelda: Twighlight Princess

Mayam

WiiChat Member
Jan 13, 2013
N.C.
So, I'm new to this game and honestly new to the Wii in general. I've been playing Wii Resort for a few weeks and honestly just Golf and Bowling were enough to keep me enthralled. I found this game on sale at Wally World though and the 'Zelda' series has always been one of my favorite titles so I picked it up.

I'm not far in at all, still in the "Prolgue" actually I guess so I'm still learning just how to play really. Anywho, is it me or my inexperience or do the controls for this game just plain SUCK!!! Seriously, they're pretty bad so far in my estimation.

* For one, it appears the camera just plain CAN NOT be moved outside of moving Link. Really? 30 years of accumulated experience in the crafting of video games and somehow this game made it into final production without being able to move the camera? Really?

* Second, the "aim" feature (of which I've only really used to aim my Hawk thus far) is as sensitive as uh... something that's really REALLY sensitive! (Yeah I went there ;P!) I've been able to deduce that I've gotta hit this gyrating monkey pff in the distance to get this NPC's cradle back and it's like... well it's like WAY too early in the morning to be coming up with humorous, sarcastic metaphors. It's a pain in the genitals and / or rectum (Rectum?!? DAMN NEAR KILLED 'EM!!! had to do it - classic, just... classic! ;P)- I'll leave it at that.

* Third, where is this kid's DAMN FISHING POLE!

* Fourth, the lady at the shop is too distraught over her lost cat (which requires all the effort of going out her door, turning 120 degrees and um... using the physical ability known as SIGHT to locate it) to bring herself to meet the monumental task of SELLING ME STUFF! I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I've come up with this off the wall strategy of FINDING HER CAT to fix the issue. Which I did, well in the sense that I um... hmm, how to put this... uh... FOUND IT!!! Apparently there's more to the finding of the creature than um... FINDING IT, involved in well uh... FINDING IT! I digress...

* Fifth, I don't know but I'm sure there's a fifth right around the corner. As well as a 146,893rd +

Could anyone please help me out here? It would be very much appreciated. Like I said, I love the Zelda series and I want to love this one too. Hell I love Nintendo and the Wii in general too. I thought the mechanics of the Wii would open up a whole 'nother world of coolness for the world of Hyrule and the whacky mis-adventures of Link and his chronically kidnapped Princess. So far it kinda seems like the production team viewed these cool new mechanics as something to be avoided, ignored, or worked around as much as possible to give us another re-skinning of the same old controller functioning of all the Zeldas passed. I sincerely hope this isn't the case and I'm missing something crucial about the control functionality.

Thank You all in advance for your responses and help.

Sincerely,

- Mayam

P.S. What's with the modeled D, A & B buttons on the right side of the screen and the map on the left that can't be moved, minimized, maxed or well... anythinged? They appear to have precisely ZERO function. At the very least is there a way to get them off my screen? I mean hell, if the map is gonna be a permanant fixture on my main screen at least put some location titles on it, coords. at least, hell maybe if I have to type the locations and comments in on it myself, but no NADDA! It's just this amorphous amoeba-esque blob that suts there on the lower left with a huge arrow signifying me and another pointing out the exit of the area. In a word POINTLESS (at best, FARGIN' IRRITATING would probably fit better)!

Last edited:
Twilight Princess' prologue is most certainly not the bees knees ('specially since bees can actually kill ya), that's certainly true. Don't worry though, it'l get much better. Maybe not the controls 'course, but a lot of that inaccurate fishing rod bollocks or point and click nonsense like with the hawk isn't really required much later on if I recall correctly.

... I recall bein' able to remove the map from the screen somehow. If it's not button-mapped, look through menus, options, etc. Could'a swore you could at least get rid of it, if not change somethin' about it. Perhaps I'm just thinking of Skyward Sword though.

Ah, and if you're really sick of derping 'n dredging through the boring prologue, there's no harm in readin' a walkthrough briefly. Just beware of spoilers, especially if you decide t' use a walkthrough later in the game. ;)

Last edited:
One more thing, is there any way to change between running and walking? Currently Link is in the mode of what I'd running, constantly, everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE he goes. To take one step, just one, he literally runs that one single solitary step...

This wouldn't be much of an issue except that he only appears to just kinda take his best guess at where and in which direction you intended him to go. And yeah, he's been pretty well spot on... like 2 out of every three times... on a good day. Has Link developed an alcohol problem over the years he's been hiding from us all incidentally? Just wondering ;P...

@ Splash_King:

Thank You very much for your reply Sir. Very much appreciated. I was wondering if perhaps in addition to removing the map could I also remove the diagram of the controller used the least in this game from the right 25% of my screen as well? I intend to find this option as soon as I next log in.

Was also wondering if maybe you had any wisdom to impart in relation to being able to move the camera seperate from having to move Link to do so (and even then getting the camera to the angle you wish is a big crap shoot). Of all the craptasticality so far I'd put this at #1. The useless and HUGE (and I mean like practical joke kinda HUGE) controller diagram and nearly useless map obscuring 1/3 of my screen is running a close second though!

Again, Thank You muchly freind! ;D

Sincerely,

- Mayam

Last edited:
I definitely remember you can lightly tilt the control stick t' walk, but it's indeed either that or full throttle for the Triforce of Courage's bearer. :lol:

The fact (TP) Link won't instantaneously face the direction you want 'em to go can be annoying, aye. :lol: Makes for a real pain when navigating dungeons with plenty of pits...

AWEOSME! On the first.

UN_AWESOME! On the second.

Again though and above all, very much appreciate the info and yhr hrads up :).

I'll see what I do (or, more to the point, undo, heh) once I get home and log in. Will report back in.

... wow...

Just logged back in and the very first thing I do is take another shot at the monkey on meth hopping around with the cradle. Nailed the fugger, hawk brings me cradle, i hop off the platform into the water and the cradle leaves my hands and is now floating in the water - apparently unretrievable of course.

... uhhhh... wow... just um... wow....

yeah i think i'm done with this game.

i am however taking suggestions on the most creative and heinous way to destroy the disk though. Bonus points awarded for leaving it in a state that still displays the title so nintendo knows exactly what this unfortunate failure of a game was. I now see why not one single person I discussed which console to buy with mentioned the wii and in fact why most of them had nothing but really really vbad things to say about it.

... wow...

I'm really considering destroying the entire wii. thus far i think tying it to my bumper and dragging it down the highway on my way to buy an X-Box is in the lead for best ways to destroy the console.

... just... wow... i... uh... wow...

oh and I DEARLY HOPE someone who works for nintendo reads this page. I hope the nintendo company is what puts food in the mouths of their children yet still, even so, i hope nintendo fails as a company in the most epic and spectacular fashion in the history of mankind.

in the words of some guy in some movie: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit huffing glue!"

As Sincerely as I Can Possibly Be,

- Mayam

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, OK perhaps I was a tad melodramatic. Couldn't ever figure out how to recover the cradle but I'm gonna load a previous save and see what I can do after I give removing this pointless junk off my screen a shot.

It seems like I've just been discovering one programing "oversight" after another and after such a short amount of time in game this is DEFINITELY not a good sign...

I just had such high hopes though. Just from the "Resort" games I was already REALLY liking the Wii and I figured any title in the Zelda series can do no wrong. Ah well, like I said, will keep y'all posted and as ever, any advice will be VERY much appreciated, whether on the topics i've named or any concerning either this game or the Wii it's self.

Last edited:
This site really seems to fall short at that crucial point between writing one's post, clicking the button to POST, and then actually saving, adding to, and displaying that post. I've typed too many attempts to conversate already only to see this site take my well though out post and then um... "DEFECATE in the sleeping apparatus" as soon as that crucial POST button is pressed. One of the reasons for it being a relative ghost town of a forum is now clear to me. Not the only reason though, I'm literally FROTHING AT THE MOUTH to verbally brutalize a couple of the post I've seen here that set a new standard for STUPID.

Anywho, here's attempt number THREE!!!!!!!:

I figured out pretty much all the other stuff, the button diagram on the right etc. and have moved on to the 2nd act as a wolf on a rooftop, etc., etc. One glaring issue remains I REALLY need help with:

HOW DO I CHANGE THE CAMERA'S ANGLE?!?!? I only ask because theres a fair amount of stuff at my feet that go unseen for lack of being able to move the angle. I have this feeling that a deadly fall isn't far off here on these rooftops.

Dear Lord in Heaven, please let this fourth attempt to post this single question finally survive the pressing of this POST button. AMEN!

* OK,here goes!

So seriously though, 'bout that Camera... Angle can't be changed can it? This friends is what the kids call, "making doody in their wittle beddy bye!" DEFECATION guys! ALL OVER THE DAMN BED!

DAMN IT I wanna like this game!!! I'm giving it every possible chance but WTF?!?! Mobs are attacking and you can't see em, let alone zoom out to see multiple mobs and their locations or approach? OMFG guys! Is this like part of a new public service effort by Nintendo to give jobs to a production crew of down syndrome "short bussers" and the poor fellas just ran with it and slammed it into final productionmissing such a basic mechanic of modern games?

... wow... again... *sigh*

Back