Corruption on the High Street!

Nicko

Lucozade Addict
Jul 30, 2007
Sheffield, England
Wii Online Code
4920-8914-1571-5576
As you all know, many Wii products contain a scratch card with a code that allows the user to enter it onto the Nintendo website and gain Nintendo stars. You may also know that Nintendo plan to allow people to convert these stars into Wii points (which would otherwise cost MONEY) with which you can purchase Wii software and VC games amongst other things.

Anyway, about a week ago I was talking to a friend of mine, who said that a very major gaming store here in the UK (who I will not name until someone tells me whether I can or not) takes these scratch cards out of the boxes, and keeps them for themselves/employees. Approximately five minutes ago, another friend of mine came to my house to lend me 3 Wii games (all purchased from this same store). I then asked him if he has ever removed or seen the scratchcards that are supposed to come with these games to which he replied "No".

So my question really is: "Is this store committing theft?

I ask this as I believe by taking the scratch cards out of the products, they are causing the consumer to pay extra for any Wii points they wish to have. When a person hands over £30.00/£40.00 for a game (for example) they are paying for the scratch card, the case, the disc, the booklets and anything else that "Nintendo" provided with the game. If this store wishes to remove the scratch cards from the boxes, then shouldn't they by law have to either reduce the price of the product or provide a warning on the box that the scratch card is not there?

Sorry if I'm being a bit OTT as I do have a ,slight grudge against this chain of stores. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well, your friend might be in the US. Or another country.
Because as far as I know, we don't get a scratchcard for Ninendo Stars.

We never have for any game.

Just throwing in two cents, just in case he's from the US.

No he's English. I've just talked to another friend (also English) on MSN and he's never received the cards from "the store" either.

I'm taking these bastards down.

the scratch cards are little inserts we get inside the game cases, you scratch off the silver coating to reveal a code..

you then register that code on nintendo's website to build up points, which you could then get hold of nintendo stuff...(wallpapers, mp3s, and occasional plush toys, or games, but quite rare and very limited)

now in the UK we are waiting as soon enough these points will be able to purchase VC points.

I don't think I got one with my Zelda here in the US. But then again technically you're right, you did pay for Wii points because

US Games = $50
UK Games = $60 (30 pounds you said). And if 2000 points are $20, you're theoretically buying a game and 1000 wii points, but who knows how they convert.

I think it depends on what games he has bought. These cards are only in Nintendo games. Third Party Games don't have these scratch cards inside, I think.

Here in the US we do get codes in Nintendo games, but they aren't scratch cards....and we don't really get anything cool for registering. We do get wallpapers, and after you register 3 games at nintendo.com you get 3 free issues of Nintendo Power...but that's about it.

I think you should go after "the store" and find out if this is really happening! Take 'em down!

6ix said:
I don't think I got one with my Zelda here in the US. But then again technically you're right, you did pay for Wii points because

US Games = $50
UK Games = $60 (30 pounds you said). And if 2000 points are $20, you're theoretically buying a game and 1000 wii points, but who knows how they convert.

i guess you could look at it like that, but most wii games come out at 40 quid, not 30..

amazon tend to get some games slightly cheaper than normal, but not usually at 30..

I wish we got Wii Points like you apparently do... but yeah you should go kick ass and take names. Get your cards!

tababywii said:
Here in the US we do get codes in Nintendo games, but they aren't scratch cards....and we don't really get anything cool for registering. We do get wallpapers, and after you register 3 games at nintendo.com you get 3 free issues of Nintendo Power...but that's about it.

I think you should go after "the store" and find out if this is really happening! Take 'em down!

I think he is talking about the VIP points that come in games. And 3 issues of a mag is far far far superior to anything we get in the UK...... I mean..... c'mon NoE, how many different wallpapers do I want for my PC?

Kingston said:
I'm in the US. do we get scratchcards? If not, wheres the product code

Sorry, Kingston, no scratchcards for us here in the states. The codes that we do get to unlock wallpapers and things like that are on a paper insert inside new games cases and I think they are only the Nintendo published games. The insert usually is an ad for Nintendo Power and on the back there are numbers and letters in a white box...that's the code you put in on nintendo.com. After you put three games in, you can get 3 free issues of Nintendo Power...pretty good, huh?

You can also register your Wii console and your DS if you have one and all those games.

Interesting discussion. For sure not all games come with the VIP points, you should be able to check on http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/games/index.jsp if the game is listed there then you should get 250 points per game (conversion to Wii points has not been agreed but most forums are expecting something useless like 5:1, which would mean that 250 VIP points will be worth 50 Wii points - hope we get better conversion than this but am preparing myself for the worst - which works out at about 35p - £7 for 1000 points).

Technically if staff are taking the scratch cards from the boxes they are stealing, just as if they took the instruction manual or disc, and my first point would be to enquire politely where the scratch card is and then if necessary talk to the manager, but for the sake of 35p ask yourself, "is it worth the effort"

Back