Couldn't Preorder? Don't worry!

If what you are saying is true, then there would be no reason for us to pre-order in the first place. That just doesn't make any sense, and I can't see GameStop/EB Games going through so much trouble just for that.

I have read numerous reports online from managers of these stores that those who have put down a pre-order, are first in line for the systems when they become available. All pre-orders have 48 hours to pick up their systems, in which afterwards you will forfeit your place in line.

This excerpt comes straight from the slip we were given at the time we put down our reservation:

"As GameStop cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, the reservation deposit will only guarantee a spot in line when your reserved product becomes available."

This means that yes, we are guaranteed that we will be first to be offered a system, especially since we have already put money down. However, there is NO guarantee that it will be on the launch date. That is all that they are saying. Just that we may have to wait a bit. There is no mention that we will lose our place in line.

Ryouko said:
If what you are saying is true, then there would be no reason for us to pre-order in the first place. That just doesn't make any sense, and I can't see GameStop/EB Games going through so much trouble just for that.

I have read numerous reports online from managers of these stores that those who have put down a pre-order, are first in line for the systems when they become available. All pre-orders have 48 hours to pick up their systems, in which afterwards you will forfeit your place in line.

This excerpt comes straight from the slip we were given at the time we put down our reservation:

"As GameStop cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, the reservation deposit will only guarantee a spot in line when your reserved product becomes available."

This means that yes, we are guaranteed that we will be first to be offered a system, especially since we have already put money down. However, there is NO guarantee that it will be on the launch date. That is all that they are saying. Just that we may have to wait a bit. There is no mention that we will lose our place in line.

I don't think you're following what my understanding of the preorder situation is.

My point is that preorders could possibly affect the number of units allocated at each individual store, so that stores recieve amounts tailored to demographics, not just a number sent down from corporate that all stores are stuck trying to push.

This makes sense based on the fact that not every GameStop/EBGames' customers have the same needs. By allocating units tailored to each store, they meet these needs more accurately, in addition to not ordering more units than they're able to sell.

While this makes perfect sense to me from a business standpoint, I do hope that what you said is true.

Hmmm

teqguy said:
My point is that preorders could possibly affect the number of units allocated at each individual store, so that stores recieve amounts tailored to demographics, not just a number sent down from corporate that all stores are stuck trying to push.

If that were the case, I don't understand why nor do I believe they would limit the number of preorders. The resulting number X+Preorder Sales would be inaccurate as they didn't give a slip for all the people standing in line. Or even 1/2. Or even, necessarily 1/3.

I believe the receipts guarantee an opportunity to get the system first, if the store should get enough systems in. What you are suggesting seems . . . somewhat illogical . . . in a business sense.

Thanks,

JD

Well i got told i payed my deposite i would be the first one to get one (im first on the list) so i hope i do get it

Grrrrrr

I think i get watcha people are saying is that you are garenteed one when they get them not that there garenteeing them on the release date!

JeremyDay said:
If that were the case, I don't understand why nor do I believe they would limit the number of preorders. The resulting number X+Preorder Sales would be inaccurate as they didn't give a slip for all the people standing in line. Or even 1/2. Or even, necessarily 1/3.

I believe the receipts guarantee an opportunity to get the system first, if the store should get enough systems in. What you are suggesting seems . . . somewhat illogical . . . in a business sense.

Thanks,

JD

Exactly. If they limit preorders, espicially to as small a number as 10, they have NO IDEA what kind of quota they have to fill. It's easy to fill 10 preorder spots and it certainly dosen't show the overall demand for them.

If Preorders were used simply for getting an idea of how many the store needs, preorders would be limited to a day or time, not number of preorders.

The reason that these stores only have 10-30 preorder slots is because that's all they can be sure of having. Sure they might have MORE than that, but they are probably sure that they won't have any less. So that way on November 19 when 11 units come in, the 10 preorderers will get one and one will go to a lucky first-comer.

Jeremy Day said:

The number of preorders is a variable, the amount corporate defaults to is not.

How is that inaccurate?

Cyan Winters said:
Exactly. If they limit preorders, espicially to as small a number as 10, they have NO IDEA what kind of quota they have to fill. It's easy to fill 10 preorder spots and it certainly dosen't show the overall demand for them.

I don't see how supply and demand is an issue here, because unlike the XBOX 360 fiasco, they aren't selling more preorders than they can account for.

Instead, they're selling the number corporate defaults to plus the amount they elect to allow customers to preorder, because that's the amount they can guarantee.

As far as they're concerned, that's their quota.

If Preorders were used simply for getting an idea of how many the store needs, preorders would be limited to a day or time, not number of preorders.

I suppose you believe Nintendo should do the same before making any consoles. After all, we don't want them making too few, but too many would be just as bad, because corporations never like excess of a good thing, right?

So whoever arrives at an electronics store by 6AM on a Friday will have a Wii reserved for them. Sounds like a good plan to me.

The reason that these stores only have 10-30 preorder slots is because that's all they can be sure of having. Sure they might have MORE than that, but they are probably sure that they won't have any less. So that way on November 19 when 11 units come in, the 10 preorderers will get one and one will go to a lucky first-comer.

Hence the reason they turn people away at a certain count, despite some of them having waited the same amount of time as the people in front of them.

What do you suppose they would do if they took everyone who arrived by a certain time? Sorry, this isn't Communism.

It's more Democratic to provide service on a first come, first serve basis.

Last edited:
new york campers

I moved to new york a month ago, from the middle east. and I need to know which game center usually gets the most campers when there is a nintendo and/or any other important launch? Is it in the nintendo world center or Gamestop stores?

I need to know that I am doing a survey! :yesnod:

Thanks..oh and I didn't get to preorder, and almost has a fight with the gamestop guy:mad5: . hehe

cheers

Cyan Winters said:

AGREED, i know the manager of the EB games here and she said that the people who pre-ordered ARE GUARENTEED a system when they arrive, and they are HELD till they pick it up (up to 48 hrs) and that those systems ARE NOT sold to the public until after the 48 hrs of you not picking it up, so yeah i dont know what teq guy is talking about .... bunch of rubbish if you ask me

-komio

komio said:
AGREED, i know the manager of the EB games here and she said that the people who pre-ordered ARE GUARENTEED a system when they arrive, and they are HELD till they pick it up (up to 48 hrs) and that those systems ARE NOT sold to the public until after the 48 hrs of you not picking it up, so yeah i dont know what teq guy is talking about .... bunch of rubbish if you ask me

-komio

Believe what you want, but you have a lot of nerve to insult me.

You can't call what I heard(from an EBGames manager, too, mind you) "rubbish" without also calling what you heard "rubbish". It's not like I made this up as a means of provocation.

If you had read every post in this thread before being rude, you would have read that I also hope that my preorder is, in fact, reserved and waiting there for me when I get there.

You also have to understand that for the sake of discussion, someone has to play Devil's Advocate in a situation like this.

However, if you're willing to go to the trouble to prove me completely and utterly wrong, I'd be happy to give you the number of my local EBGames so you can hash it out with them.

It doesn't make sense to say that the pre-orders tell corporate how many extra systems they need... The evidence is clear in the fact that people were turned away after X number of people were in line (X being a number somewhere around 15 to 25 or something). This means that the store already knew how many systems they could sell, and they're not getting corporate any new data.
On another note, for the stores (like mine) that are doing the midnight launch, only the people with preorder receipts should be allowed in to that, so you pretty much ARE guaranteed a place in line.

i work at gamestop and when it came to preorders for both the wii and ps3 we waited until we knew how many were going to be shipping out to us, now i know that we are getting exactly the number of wii's that people preordered no more and no less

Ohhh. I heard that it was Canada = 400000 Consoles. According to a graph i saw It said USA 600000 and it was pretty accurate. So if 5 mil wanted a wii in canada i think that WE SHOULD AT LEAST GET 40% of it! I think we are though. Actualy i am ... REALLY SURE

This post is old as hell...and the numbers are wrong...try 1 million units to north america, 60/40 u.s, to canadians respectively. 600k, in the us so start to panic. And as far as preorders go...they are overated. Ps3 will drop 400k on friday,only 200k more vs the competition for nintendo.So break out your algebra books.odds are.....if you dont line up early + didnt preorder = no Wii....till next delivery. Be patient folks, hasnt southpark taught you kids anything?LOL

Back