Couldn't Wii have been a $60 GameCube peripheral???

ddslee

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
After trying out Zelda twilight princess and the included Wii sport games, I feel a little bit cheated by Nintendo. :incazzato:

Graphics are no better than that of GameCube games. I am very impressed with the control of the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combination, but it just makes me wonder why Wii couldn't have been a $60 GameCube peripheral instead of a $250 next generation console. :confused:

I think a peripheral with a sensor bar + wireless remote + nunchuck controller that gets plugged into a GameCube controller port could have achieved the exact same gaming experience as Wii for a whole lot less money than $250. :idea:

I'm no genius, but I think that in order for the Wii Remote to work with the gamecube, something would have to be installed into the GC which would cost more money and would take forever because you'd have to send in your GC or something like that. Unless I'm wrong and the Wii Remote could be easily added to the Gamecube somehow.

Impossible, GC would have to have bluetooth added along with the processing power to handle tracking up to four wii motes and their associated gyro/accelometer data. That's a lot of calulating power that has to be dedicated to motion sensing that is translated to on screen motions. Now go and add built in WiFi, a fullsize DVD-Rom drive (can't have all the new game data on the next gen games be packed on a GC disc of 1.5gb when most are using 4gb+), an extra co-processor or two to bump up the GC's proccessing power to handle all the new games, and some sort of storage to handle Virtual Console downloads. You'd end up with a very gaudy looking gamecube with a crapload of extension modules hanging out of it.

On top of that the first batch of launch games aren't really taking full advantage of the system. In some cases the Wii matches the Xbox 360 in its capabilities. The most major being the shader pipeline and max poly's that the system can handle that nearly match the 360. Sure it can't do HD, but 480P can look surprisingly sharp.

Just kick back and wait to see what first and third party games are going to be coming down the line before you chastise what could possibly be Nintendo's greatest console in over 10 years.

im_a_super_smash_bro said:
are you gonna get a new 1?

In Chicago suburbs, Wii's are sold out everywhere. I don't think I can find another one anytime soon.

I am a game console junkie, so I will probably buy another one when the 2nd shipment comes around.

im_a_super_smash_bro said:
^^ what are you talking about?? :tard:
i dunno if its off topic.. just showing some appreciation to my wii... Ive only played a regular Xbox a few times and can kinda say the graphics are pretty close, and much better than a ps2 yada yada....

basically just saying it would be crap if it would be a GC add-on, or whatever the guy is talkin bout......im tired

ddslee said:
In Chicago suburbs, Wii's are sold out everywhere. I don't think I can find another one anytime soon.

I am a game console junkie, so I will probably buy another one when the 2nd shipment comes around.

You can send you wii to NIntendo and the will send you a new 1 in 10 days. Its all on ign

Back