Dead Laptop =/

surfinrach90

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.
Dec 27, 2006
Got back from holidays last night, went to go on my laptop and the keys from Q to ] isn't working, like the whole row.

First thing I did was switch it off then back on, but when I switched it back on I had to type in my password to log on, but I couldn't because of the keys.

So I tried to do a system re-store but that restarts the laptop to open the program to do the restore, well.. couldn't get that far could I because of the password to log on.

Only think I could think of doing then is doing a complete restore, I've got everything stored on disks and such so I wasn't loosing anything on my laptop so I just thought what the hell, I've nothing to loose. After all that time it still wasn't working.

So what do you guys suggest me doing? The warranty has ran out on my laptop I've had it for over two years now. Can they fix it for me or do I just get another one?

Ohh and another thing I took the laptop away with me because I had work to do but never actually got around to doing anything so it was in the bag the whole time. The caravan I stayed in was uber cold, so I thought it might have been that, I kept it in a warm place over night but switched it on this morning and it's still the same.

Could it have been because of the cold, or is it just buggered because it's a couple of years old?

Also any tips on which laptop I should buy if I need a new one?

Thanks guys.. I'm miffed and want this fixed soon, have to use my mothers laptop and I don't like it lol, I like to have all my own links and shortcuts and such lol.

Sorry that my advice won't be of much use :lol:

My keyboard is lacking a down arrow button, and also sometimes has a bit of trouble with a few of the numbers. I don't know how you use your laptop, but I just leave mine on my desk and use a USB keyboard.

If the restore or formating doesn't work, I'm sorry about that :/

Well this happened to my brother except he broke his keyboard through typing too fast and hard. He bought a new laptop because since the keyboard is like apart of the laptop it's hard to repair. You could try it though, I mean along with the keyboard he damaged the motherboard too haha, thats what you get for being a hard typist.

I'd take it to a PC company and ask them, If they can't fix try unluckylink13's idea and use a separate keyboard, if THAT doesn't work buy a new one...

I think using a different keyboard will work, The laptop in it's-self doesn't sound broken

Thanks for the advice Smurf =]

I'll see if I can take it somewhere to be done, if not, new laptop for Rachie.

Could be what mine did.

Turn it off and unplug the power cables and the battery. Now hold the power button for about 20 or 30 seconds. Turn it back on and it should work.

Some laptops develop static charge on the motherboard over time. This should discharge it.

Lol thanks I tried that and it went a bit weird at first when I switched it on, just making a loud noise and staying on that first start up screen that said like press F2 and that, it's loading up now so I'll let yah know if it works.

Edit: Still nothing =/

Only T, Y & P is working =[

Second edit: I've ****ed up the Q button.. I think I snapped the actual button off and it wont go back on =/

Last edited:
unluckylink13 said:
I just leave mine on my desk and use a USB keyboard.

:/
just hook another keyobar upto it or theres things where you plug it into your main comp and it works like it would normaly but on the desktop monitor an keyboard instead

oxhaker said:
just hook another keyobar upto it or theres things where you plug it into your main comp and it works like it would normaly but on the desktop monitor an keyboard instead

that defeats the purpose of a labtop..
but its a good idea.

Use a external keyboard and reformat, once u have, if the LABTOP's keyboard still dont work...u should buy a new one or have a crappy external keyboard.

Back