Dead Space Extraction(Give it a Chance!!!)

Dzapper

Akatsuki Assassin
Sep 3, 2007
Morehouse College
Wii Online Code
4627-4261-3182-4550
Ok, ever since the buzz around "Dead Space coming to Wii" swarmed around the internet I was hyped for this game. Then came the day that it was announced as an on-rail shooter, and although I didn't write it off completely (like most people did) I was admittedly less excited for the release. However, the more previews I look at, the more excited I am for this game. The graphics look amazing and IGN (Matt Cassimasina) said the games animations are some of the slickest seen on Wii. They also noted that the story telling is great and the atmosphere is just as compelling as the 360 game. Now I am back on board with this title and will be buying it later this year.

Now what bothers me is not the fact that people don't like this game, I already know that some people don't like rail-shooters and that is perfectly fine. But what irritates the hell out of me, is when these same people who don't "like" rail shooters, attempt to write this game off as some splash-dash Wii game EA is using to make some quick money. That is ignorant and is very insulting to the developers. It is obvious to critics and to anyone really looking at the game that a lot of effort is going into this title for the Wii. You all call yourselves "Hardcore" gamers and get pissed when developers splash together a party game in 5 minutes. But yet a developer is trying to make a quality title for the Wii and you all insult the developers. Some people say "The Wii has enough rail shooters!!! STOP IT ALREADY ZOMG!!!!" But think about it this way...the Wii really only has 2 original rail shooters (RE:UC and HOTD: Overkill) the rest are just ports of arcade games. So this genre is far from flooded on this console. So please I am asking all of you, don't insult this game as if it is a flop. None of us have played it and so none of us can make a fair assessment of the gameplay. There is a such thing as a good rail shooter, and this game could possibly be one of them. There is no way anyone can read the latest preview at IGN http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986199p2.html and still think that there is no effort being put into this game, or that Wii owners are somehow getting a raw deal.

I'm looking forward to Dead Space Extraction. I think I heard it's two player.

To be honest, I think the Wii is driving on-rails shooters pretty well, with Umbrella Chronicles being a good game, House of the Dead: Overkill being pulled off brilliantly, and the new RE: Darkside Chronicles looking like it's going to be also well done.

Yes your absolutely right,people should have more respect for the developers and the hard work there putting into this game,i just finished reading the IGN article,
the game looks great,really haunting sound effects as well,its going to be on my telly i know that.

I already have 3 rail shooters. I don't plan on getting more games like it in the genre.

I already have 3 rail shooters. I don't plan on getting more games like it in the genre.

I only hate the double standard that people place on Rail Shooters. For some reason we can only own 3 rail shooters, but if they released about 14 JRPGs it would be perfectly ok to gobble them all up. But if I buy 14 rail shooters then suddenly I wouldn't be a "Hardcore" gamer.

You must have a pretty small games collection if you limit yourself to 3 games per genre... :prrr:

When did I ever say "I only buy 3 games per a genre". I only buy three for the genre. Note that is singular. The genre which I spoke of was rail shooter.

Even at that, I take the word "rail shooter" lightly when you consider that it can be used to describe vertical and horizontal shooters. It can even describe a game like "Sin and Punishment". Although for conversational purposes, we will assume "rail shooters" refer to light gun like mechanics.

I only hate the double standard that people place on Rail Shooters. For some reason we can only own 3 rail shooters, but if they released about 14 JRPGs it would be perfectly ok to gobble them all up. But if I buy 14 rail shooters then suddenly I wouldn't be a "Hardcore" gamer.

There is no double standard, at least for me. Unless you apply the idea "The Wii is only good for Rail shooters" while the Xbox360 and PS3 have a kazillion first person shooters.

Also, I never said that people were bounded to possessing 3 games per a genre. When I said "I have 3 games" from the genre, it meant that was enough for me. When I consider buying games, I place it on three scales, disinterest, discounted and Must-Have. In no means is it measure the quality of a game, just whether it is worth purchasing at full price, a discounted price or not worth buying at all.

Also to be noted, some people (like myself), don't see the value in a genre that is basically point and click. Despite the years it has existed for, it really hasn't expanded out as much in terms of mechanics. Even with genres like the fighting genre and FPS, despite how similar they are to other games within the genre, there are mechanical differences that have been made to keep it fresh (at least for me). Although the latter isn't entirely true when you consider that it can be predicted into two branches; the common soldier that is still fighting World War 2 and the faceless/masked protagonist who ends up at going to war with aliens.

Also, JRPGs aren't the same in effect (well except for being made in Japan). RPGs include at least the following features, a storyline, a world to explore, character development, and tactical combat. Each of these features are able to expand out to distinguish themselves from other games.

Also when did it become an issue about being a "hardcore gamer" because you bought a rail shooter. You make as if I was infering that people need my permission to buy video games. Even when Raising Helen and I where discussing whether Metroid Prime Trilogy was worth buying, I am pretty sure she understands that she doesn't need my permission to buy a game. She understands at least "everyone is entitled to their opinion." Even when we discuss these things, we do it to give insight on our thoughts on the game. Of course, I give you my insight on why I am not going to give Dead Space Extraction a chance(which is exactly what this thread is about) and for some reason it gets your panties in a twist when I say I don't want to buy it.

When did I ever say "I only buy 3 games per a genre". I only buy three for the genre. Note that is singular. The genre which I spoke of was rail shooter.

Even at that, I take the word "rail shooter" lightly when you consider that it can be used to describe vertical and horizontal shooters. It can even describe a game like "Sin and Punishment". Although for conversational purposes, we will assume "rail shooters" refer to light gun like mechanics.
I meant it in a cheeky way, not a serious one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions (obviously). I also like the idea of supporting mature (bloody) titles for the Wii. I think over the past year or so (and especially with High Voltage Software's new announcements) that the "kiddie image" of Nintendo is well and truly broken in regards to overall software (obviously Nintendo will still go for the "any-age" market).

:cornut:

Also when did it become an issue about being a "hardcore gamer" because you bought a rail shooter. You make as if I was infering that people need my permission to buy video games. Even when Raising Helen and I where discussing whether Metroid Prime Trilogy was worth buying, I am pretty sure she understands that she doesn't need my permission to buy a game. She understands at least "everyone is entitled to their opinion." Even when we discuss these things, we do it to give insight on our thoughts on the game. Of course, I give you my insight on why I am not going to give Dead Space Extraction a chance(which is exactly what this thread is about) and for some reason it gets your panties in a twist when I say I don't want to buy it.

Alright...calm down dude. I wasn't trying to attack you personally I was just using your comment to make a reference to the general "I hate rail shooters" population. I'm basically saying just because you don't like rail shooters, don't just write this game off as a quick cash in. And I was just addressing the overall negative perception that people automatically have about rail shooters. In fact when I went into one thread and proclaimed about how I like rail shooters, I was immediately attacked and one user said I only "liked" rail shooters because I suck at regular FPS's. So if my comment came off as a personal gripe with you it wasn't intended that way, I respect your opinion and want it in this thread.

Dead Space: Extraction is in my purchase list!!

I'm pleased to see more games that pushing the Wii hardware!!

A huge step foward EA, I hope you do more!!

I meant it in a cheeky way, not a serious one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions (obviously). I also like the idea of supporting mature (bloody) titles for the Wii. I think over the past year or so (and especially with High Voltage Software's new announcements) that the "kiddie image" of Nintendo is well and truly broken in regards to overall software (obviously Nintendo will still go for the "any-age" market).

:cornut:

I don't know why everyone makes a big deal over the "kiddie image". Just play the games you enjoy. I think people's detestment to the Wii isn't so much of an issue of whether it has good games or not but people bitching about the image.

Alright...calm down dude. I wasn't trying to attack you personally I was just using your comment to make a reference to the general "I hate rail shooters" population. I'm basically saying just because you don't like rail shooters, don't just write this game off as a quick cash in. And I was just addressing the overall negative perception that people automatically have about rail shooters. In fact when I went into one thread and proclaimed about how I like rail shooters, I was immediately attacked and one user said I only "liked" rail shooters because I suck at regular FPS's. So if my comment came off as a personal gripe with you it wasn't intended that way, I respect your opinion and want it in this thread.

How is my post even remotely related to hating rail shooters. If I own 3 games that are rail shooters, that isn't a clear sign of hate for the genre. I never said "Its a rail shooter, its gonna suck."

I never called it a quick cash-in either. It can only be a quick cash-in if

As for the FPS comment made by that loser, just tell him he needs control over his character because he needs more resources to complete a game. Because having a game where you only get 6 rounds of bullets between reloads, 3 lives for 4 hours, time restrictions and having 3 seconds to shoot the target before getting hit is so much easier than what FPSes do. It is evident how much harder FPSes are with regenerative health, unlimited retries, 60 bullets per a round, camping, 4 different weapons at your disposal, in addition to melee attacks for limitless attacks. It is clearly evident that FPSes are so much harder. Remember back in the day with arcade machines when you were paying $.50 every 2 minutes to keep yourself alive because some noob got a cheap shot you.

How is my post even remotely related to hating rail shooters. If I own 3 games that are rail shooters, that isn't a clear sign of hate for the genre. I never said "Its a rail shooter, its gonna suck."

I never called it a quick cash-in either. It can only be a quick cash-in if

Yeah I know you didn't, but those were the people I was addressing originally in the post. So those were the people I was really talking to (not knowing whether or not you fell into that category) just using your comment to make a bit of a point.

Also yeah I remember those old days in the Arcade with .50 per life. That was much harder than any Halo/COD campaign.

Back