Dear God NO!!!!!!

The Wii is taking the technology of gaming forward. While online gaming and making communitys through online gaming is definitely the way of future, I also think Nintendo is taking a bad route. If they had said more of what they plan to do with this Pay to Play we might have a better outlook. So while I do see there are many problems that could happen I still trust the N. :p

Apparently no one read the article wtf. The same exact situation occured at IGN; people don't read the article and fly off the handle bashing Nintendo. Educate yourself:

Nintendo Wifi Connection: Still free with basic online.
Pay to Play: Will cost money but supposedly have more features. This is from a game to game basis, not a subscription.
DLC: Separate from Pay to Play but will still cost money.

So after raising the pitchforks and saying "Ima sell mai Wiiz LOL", realize that there's still going to be free online and Nintendo will not charge for past games. Reading comprehension is your friend.

RedProdigy said:
Apparently no one read the article wtf. The same exact situation occured at IGN; people don't read the article and fly off the handle bashing Nintendo. Educate yourself:

Pay to Play: Will cost money but supposedly have more features. This is from a game to game basis, not a subscription.

So after raising the pitchforks and saying "Ima sell mai Wiiz LOL", realize that there's still going to be free online and Nintendo will not charge for past games. Reading comprehension is your friend.

YAY for reading comprehension!!!!!

I guess I'm keeping ma Wii :yesnod:

~X

RedProdigy said:

What do you mean a game-to-game basis? Will a game that uses PtP cost $60 instead of $50, or...? I'd be much more open to this idea, that is, if its only a 5-10 dollar increase.

No he's saying some games will be free with wfc and others will be pay to play where you pay for the online component. These will be signified by games either having the familiar blue wifi symbol or an orange one instead.

This could be a good or bad thing depending on which direction it goes. It could mean much better online for some games, while it could also mean the games won't improve but we'll have to pay for online. I don't really see this being a concern anytime soon though. They wouldn't make mario kart or ssbb PtP so I'm not worried at the moment.

A big screw you to Nintendo. A poor (extremely poor) online service is on one or two games and now we will have to pay to get a slightly better online service which would still fail on comparison to the also free PSN.

NoE has messed me around long enough and now the big N is making us pay for a decent online? Fail.

Before you attack me, I can read and I did read.

Cpt.McCloud said:
A big screw you to Nintendo. A poor (extremely poor) online service is on one or two games and now we will have to pay to get a slightly better online service which would still fail on comparison to the also free PSN.

NoE has messed me around long enough and now the big N is making us pay for a decent online? Fail.

Before you attack me, I can read and I did read.

Agreed.

LevesqueIsKing said:
What do you mean a game-to-game basis? Will a game that uses PtP cost $60 instead of $50, or...? I'd be much more open to this idea, that is, if its only a 5-10 dollar increase.
Leve that's a good idea if they do charge just 10 dollars extra for that certain game.

Here's some more info I found that might be helpful.

Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama made a couple of big announcements in his GDC 2008 presentation on the development of the Wii console's internal hardware programming and WiiWare. The biggest of these announcements, and the one that brought you to this article in the first place, is regarding the arrival of downloadable content for Wii games.

According to Aoyama, Nintendo has plans to offer both add-on content and other services for Wii Points. Nintendo has simplified the process for disc based games stating that all the transactions will be handled from within the game itself.

The thought of paying for downloadable content may offend some people who feel that these downloads should be offered for free. Aoyama justified this saying that the price will help Nintendo offset the development costs of the add-on content.

its not like EVERY single online game is gonna be pay2play, so i dunno why so much people getting worked up for. If there smart they will probably have games free to play but if u want extra features for it then u have to pay, or they may just enhance online with better quality and with a mic. Then again i have no idea. :scared:

Utter Bullshit. This better not happen.

If i have to pay an extra £5 for a game for good online, i dont mind, our games are already cheap next to 360/ps3 games, so that diesnt bother me. But if its some stupid **** i have to get online for or fill out forms and crap, im going to seriously **** my pants with anger.

Last edited:
i am just praying to god that this "pay to play" just means that there will be DLC because if its not i have a feeling they will put this PtP mark on all the worthwhile online games in the future and leave the crappy games in the future free (except for SSBB and Mkart)

Back