depressed, need to vent, help me feel better :/

SensesFail said:
your right, i guess i am lucky it happened so soon. i was too pissed off last night to realize this. and i know my saved stuff is on the hard drive but gamestop wotn let me switch the hard drive w/the new one.
why not just take the hard drive out before you give it back to them?

I'm pretty sure that they would check to see if the hard drive was removed. My suggestion would be to just purchase a new hard drive and replace it with your current one. After that switch your current hard drive with the one that came with your new console and return it to the store for your money back and or store credit. Also you may want to purchase the hard drive at a different store.

JerryC said:
sux dude :/ but when you go to exchange your xbox make sure to ask for the 65nm CPU Unit model those ones rarely red ring of death.

also

O_O
Not many of the 360's have the 65nm CPU yet. There's a certain lot number and team that has them in it, or so I've heard, and so far only people with the Halo Edition 360 have had luck finding the chip in there.

i have a 360, i got it in june of this year, its just a premium with the 20gb hard drive. do u think its safe from red rings? i also use a cooling fan and i made sure that it wouldnt void my warrenty to have it melt to my console or something. even tho i know using a third party product would void it but they wont know unless something is wrong with it.

that would definatly piss me off having it crap out so soon after buying it but at least its covered .

TiwazTyrsfist said:
Yeah, Mine came pre-broken. --> Link

XBox 360, The epitome of Reliability. It fails in a very reliable way...

Yeh, that's terrible. But in all fairness, that was down to the retailer, not the fault of microsoft though. i would have taken that one back and told them to stick it up their A%$E HOLE. :mad5:

Darn I rented a 360 and I'm having so much fun. I really want to own one. The technical promblems put me in a state of utter fear. :\ I haven't much money... what do I do...

General hardware failure

When a Microsoft Xbox 360 console experiences a "general hardware failure", on the front of the console three flashing red lights appear. This is reported to be caused by multiple systems failing simultaneously.
The Nyko Intercooler has also been reported to have caused a general hardware failure in a number of consoles, as well as scorching of the power AC input. Microsoft stated that the peripheral drains too much power from the console and can cause the faults to occur and stated that consoles fitted with the peripheral will have their warranty null and void.

On July 9th, 2007, CRN Australia (Haymarket Group) published an article claiming that Microsoft admitted a design flaw in Xbox 360 which could cause a failure of all Xbox 360 consoles produced so far. Microsoft claims that the manufacturing problems have been fixed, although they did not elaborate as to what the problems were. Microsoft executives discussed some of the manufacturing problems with their shareholders in their July 5, 2007 conference call.

The Xbox 360 will display a "Screen of Death" if the system experiences a serious error. In such instances the user is prompted to contact Xbox customer support

In the case of certain specific errors, the Xbox 360 system will display a diagnostic pattern of red lighting in place of the standard green "Ring of Light." These patterns indicate the following:
Quadrants Indicated error Troubleshooting
4 The A/V cable is either not properly connected to the Xbox 360 system, or is not being detected. Check cable and connector, or adjust video settings.
3 Console is experiencing a hardware failure, caused by multiple systems failing simultaneously Restart the console. If the same problem occurs again, contact Xbox customer support
2 Console is overheating Turn console off, unplug power supply, wait for at least 5 minutes then replug power supply and switch console back on
1 General hardware failure Restart the console. If the same problem occurs again, contact Xbox customer support

If three red lights are flashing at the same time and the problem persists upon the restarting of the console, a general hardware failure has occurred and the unit needs to be sent to the repair center.

Overheating

As with most video-game consoles and computers, the Xbox 360's components generate a significant amount of heat while in use, which may cause the motherboard inside to develop mechanical tensions inside the board. This is because the heat is generated inside the CPU and GPU, so locally these spots of the board are much hotter than the surrounding board, and thus expand more than the surrounding board, and the board tries to become convex because of the built up tension (an effect similar to the bi-metallic strip effect). If the motherboard is not sufficiently mechanically supported by a metal frame, as is the case in the Xbox 360, then the board can deform suddenly if the tension inside the board builds up above a certain threshold, in the same way a clicker suddenly deforms if you increase pressure on it. If this happens the stresses placed on the CPU and GPU can cause the delicate ball grid array solder joints between the board and the CPU and GPU to break, especially because the lead free solder that is used is more brittle than the older tin/lead solder that was used in the past.

According to the German computer magazine c't the main reason for the problems is that the wrong type of lead free solder was used, a type that when exposed to elevated temperatures for a long time becomes brittle and can develop hair-line cracks that are almost irreparable. Also, according to the same c't article, Microsoft has reserved enough money, (more than one Billion dollars) for this problem to spend $100 on every existing Xbox 360 to fix them, or enough to replace every third Xbox 360 ever made. They also revealed that representatives of the three largest Xbox 360 resellers in the world, (EB Games, Gamestop and Best Buy) told c't that the failure rate of the Xbox 360 is between 30 and 33%, and that the largest repair shop in Britain, Micromart, stopped repairing Xbox 360's because they were unable to fully repair the defective systems. Because of the nature of the problem they could only repair them provisionally, resulting in the situation that many of the "repaired" systems failed again after a few weeks. At that time Micromart received 2500 defective consoles per day, from Britain alone.

The console's design utilizes heatsinks, vented openings, and fans to aid in dissipation of this heat, but the potential still exists for excessive heat buildup inside the console if these measures become unable to deal with the heat being generated. Users are advised not to obstruct air flow to the enclosure vents or power supply. Problems associated with overheating include reduced system performance and instability that may result in crashing or hardware failure.

According to OXM October 2007 issue there are reports that new Xbox 360 Elites and newer 360 Premiums, as well as repaired units, have larger heatsinks.

Some third party manufacturers have also introduced external cooling devices that attach to the console and claim to help prevent the console from overheating. However, reports indicate that such devices are doing exactly the opposite, including the attachment melting on the console itself, possibly damaging the internal microprocessors, and voiding the product warranty. Additionally, some (more technical) owners have been able to fix the overheating issue themselves, but at the expense of voiding the unit's warranty.

Scratching discs

Almost at the same time the Xbox 360 was released in November-December 2005, consumers began complaining about rounded scratches in discs played in their Xbox 360. Almost two years later, in February 2007, a.o. Llamma.com investigated the matter and concluded that some Xbox 360 drives lack a mechanism to secure the disc solidly in place. When in operation, with these drives, tilting or moving the console when operating with disc spinning inside can potentially cause damage to the disc, in some occasions rendering the disc unusable. Although this problem is not covered by the warranty, Microsoft Publishing will replace any scratched discs that are published by Microsofton receiving $20. Other publishers can be contacted directly for a disc-exchange, but it is unclear whether they will replace discs at no cost.

eek :yikes:

Last edited:
Back