Did my Wii brake my Router?

Hammamasta

WiiChat Member
Apr 16, 2007
:mad2:
I have spent most of the day trying to get this damn thing online.
Now my Linksys G Router doesnt transmit to my PC or my Wii. Anyone know what the orange or white "Cisco Systems" light on the front of the router does?
Heres a long list of what i have done to save you from giving me useless advice:

- Router, PC, Wii, Modem have all been reset
- PC connects to internet directly from modem but not from modem to router to pc or wirelessly to router.
- Wii Automatically found wireless signal (at one point), but failed to connect.
- Manually input IP into Wii, DOS ipconfig settings to Wii, followed multiple (like 10 different) "solutions" from nintendo site.
- Manually input Wii Mac Address to Router (when it was working)
- Set router signal to MIXED
- Played with related router settings
- Royaly F*ed up my router
- Stole my neighbors wireless signal

Like I said, I did have my Wii aknowledge my wireless signal at one point automatically, but it failed to connect (error 51030) and now my router just sits there like a fat hooker.

Anyone help? I should just call nintendo.
:mad2:

Call Nintendo Tech Support.
They usually have the answer.

My router broke the other day.
From either my Wii or my Mac.
One of the two has fried the wireless. I don't know why but the green light doesn't come on anymore.

I dont see how the Wii could break a router.

A similar thing happened to me when i first tried setting up my Wii, all that worked was wired connections. Soon as i gave the Wii a static IP, set the router to channel 1 and gave it the Wiis MAC address it all worked fine though, except for that my laptop now has issues connecting wirelessly. I guessed it was just my crappy Dlink router as my laptop never had a great connection anyway.

My Wii only connects on channel 1 and my laptop only connects properly on channel 11 and both lose connection from time to time, im thinking i'll probably buy a Netgear or Lynksis router with a booster and see if that helps.

Nintendo are very helpful though and provide setup instructions to overcome most router issues.

The wii isn't evil, it is not planning to destroy your electronic devics. jk buddy, just set it alight, that should do the trick:yesnod:

A) Firmware update the router (But follow the directions to the T and dont lose power during the update)
B) a Wireless signal can not fry a router unless the router already was bad
c) Re-connect the router to the modem. Once you have determined that the modem does in fact work, then the only question is the router. If the router works with other devices, then it is infact the device not working....in this case the wii.

OKay so it isnt impossible...
I read that the firmware I upgraded for the wii could have been bad and poached the router. In that case I have to get a new one.

The wii is not, in fact, evil, but how do you "set alight" lee.j?
I'll be calling linksys for some answers, I dont think nintendo would do much.

legbuh said:
Does the Wii suport WPA for wireless?
Yes the Wii supports both WEP and WPA.

Besides the other suggestions, setting the MTU value to 1500 can help if you have that option on your router.

Despite this sounding more of a router issue than a Wii one i think Nintendo would still help, they have router set up solutions and a list of known related problems on their website. I got mine up and running in no time after reading the big Ns suggestions.

Hammamasta said:
The wii is not, in fact, evil, but how do you "set alight" lee.j?

I meant set alight, as in set fire to the darn thing. Just pour on some lighter fuel ( tomato ketchups fine) and set it on fire.:thumbsup:

lee.jarratt said:
I meant set alight, as in set fire to the darn thing. Just pour on some lighter fuel ( tomato ketchups fine) and set it on fire.:thumbsup:
People might get the wrong idea when you tell them your Wii is burning though..:eek:

raisinghelen said:
People might get the wrong idea when you tell them your Wii is burning though..:eek:

They know i am joking, i even said 'jk'. plus i meant set the router on fire :drool:

Back