Did Nintendo steal this game idea.

Ok first of all nintendo couldn't of stolen that idea if it was theirs in the first place, it did say nintendo when the game started...and I don't know but maybe they just enhanced the game a bit and added a mario style i really don't care lol

they didn't steal it they thought the original super mario bros 2 would be too difficult for American market so they localized doki doki panic with mario bros characters ,and now you had SMB 2 as we know it.

Marioman said:
Ok first of all nintendo couldn't of stolen that idea if it was theirs in the first place

Got a point i guess i wasnt thinking.

I was thinking that a few weeks ago when i first saw that...They probably just bought the rights.

I don't think they would risk their reputation, and when they realised that the 2nd mario was just exactly like the first one they bought the rights and the idea and made it their game...

You seriously don't know about Doki Doki Panic?

Ok, well it was seperate from the Mario series originally. Super Mario Bros 2 for the Japanese was later given to us in the form of Lost Levels (seen on the SNES), I heard that it was because Japan considered the US and UK as "not as hardcore" (difficulty of game-wise - remember, this was back in the days of the NES - around 1988/9). Basically it was a straight forward sprite swap.

wikipedia said:
Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (夢工場 ドキドキパニック, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panikku?, lit. "Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic") is a Japanese video game released for the Famicom Disk System about a family who plans to rescue two children. The game is best known for its Western conversion Super Mario Bros. 2, which had its characters change to those from Nintendo's popular Mario franchise. This version as also later released in Japan in cartridge-based format as Super Mario USA. "Doki doki" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for a rapidly beating heart, and it is commonly found in Japanese video game titles, carrying connotations of excitement and anxiety. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic was one of the few FDS Games to use the Famicom Sound Channel.

The remade worldwide version of Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, known as Super Mario Bros. 2 (not to be confused with The Lost Levels), was also released in Japan for NES (rather than the Famicom Disk System), Super NES (as part of Super Mario Collection), and Game Boy Advance (as part of Super Mario Advance). In the Japanese Releases, it is known as Super Mario USA. It is worth mentioning that the title screen in the version seen in Super Mario All-Stars is based on the Japanese NES version (red and black as opposed to red, white, and blue).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Panic

Maximo said:
they didn't steal it they thought the original super mario bros 2 would be too difficult for American market so they localized doki doki panic with mario bros characters ,and now you had SMB 2 as we know it.
Bingo (to you too Squall7).

Not stolen, 'borrowed' is more an appropriate term. SMB2 was released in Japan as Super Mario Brothers USA.

Back