Did Zelda basically create RPGs?

i think the final fantasys gave RPGs a big world wide appeal for RPGS outside of Japan, Zelda is not excatly an RPG,has some elements of a rpg,but its mainly an advanture game.

First RPG game I ever played was a game called Adventure for the Atari 2600. I think thats the first RPG type game that I can remember. It came out in 1978. It was catagorized as an action/adventure but it was the closest thing to an RPG back then. Final Fantasy and Zelda then redefined the term RPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600)

Wii_Smurf said:
Zelda is an Adventure game

FF is the BEST RPG of all time :)

Didn't start it all off though
FF sucks
Disgaea 2 ftw
But lets not go on about it

i dont think that zelda created them by itself but was a major part of making rpg games what they are today

remember when Zelda came out, it was called an RPG game by many gamer magazine publishers. An RPG doesn't have to follow the same system as Final Fantasy but base on character build up (doesn't have to be leveling up method) and an involving storyline. Just recently when Zelda became 3D was it called action/adventure because people have gotten to the idea that RPGS are Final Fantasy like. Zelda was the first RPG game to be mass marketed and accepted by the general public. Do remember that early RPGS didn't rank in that much cash then again did many games at all. In theory if it wasn't for Zelda you won't be seeing many of the current RPG games.

Lethal said:
First RPG game I ever played was a game called Adventure for the Atari 2600. I think thats the first RPG type game that I can remember. It came out in 1978. It was catagorized as an action/adventure but it was the closest thing to an RPG back then. Final Fantasy and Zelda then redefined the term RPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600))

Adventure was technically classifed as an Action Adventure games as you said.

The first ever computer RPG was DnD on the PLATO system which came out in 1974

Chronology of Computer Role Play Games
History of Computer Role Playing Game

Chronology of Console Role Playing Games
History of Console Role Playing Games

Back