Disc drive issues. Could use some advice.

ClipTy

WiiChat Member
Sep 13, 2012
Connecticut
Hi, so I sent out my Wii to Nintendo a couple of weeks ago to get the lens cleaned on my Wii so I could play Smash Bros Brawl. I sent it out, but Nintendo had told me my console has been tampered with. They sent it back completely unrepaired, and when I went to plug it in, this happened.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20509775/Wii.mp4

The disc drive went from not reading dual layer discs, to not taking in discs at all! Could the connections have been loosened or taken apart during shipping? Would really like to avoid buying a new one, and I bought Melee so I will be selling Brawl. I could care less if I can play it anymore. Give me some tips please?

What Nintendo does when they're to repair a console, but instead send it back due to tampering is a mystery... I sent mine in since it played no games, and it came back playing everything but dual-layer discs, even though they didn't repair it due to discovering tampering.

I've never seen anyone's Wii simply not respond to a disc. I don't have any tips unfortunately, only a recommendation. If you can find one, send it in for repairs to a non-official repairing service. Certain gaming stores offer said repairs, some of 'em with guarantees.

I feel like Nintendo ducked my disc drive up just for wanting to play some homebrew. Oh, and I ****ing died when I saw ur siggy

Last edited:
I feel like Nintendo ducked my disc drive up just for wanting to play some homebrew. Oh, and I ****ing died when I saw ur siggy

1) Ninty won't repair any Wii console with homebrew / hack-a-ware on it. They are pretty firm on that, as it states in the warranty.
2) Karp's signature is freaking kool, if you take the time to read it - well thought out.
3) My sig is, well, not.

New update. If I go into any channel except Homebrew, after a minute I get this message
Wwocyz91
you can't turn the system off without unplugging it. Do here is my theory. The Wii isn't accepting discs it thinks there is already one in there! Any clue where I can go from here? I've tried pressing eject, the light doesn't light up or anything.

If the pic doesn't show up, it says "An error has occurred. Press the Eject button, remove the Game Disc, and turn the power off. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information."

Last edited:
OK, I am not a licensed Nintendo Wii repair technician or anything, but I think you are 100% correct. From what you are describing, it could be that the "in-disc" trigger of the disk drive (metal and plastic mini-switch with an optical sensor located on the inside-bottom of the disk drive mechanism) may be stuck in the "loaded" position. Essentially this is the electronic trip-sensor that causes a disk to be "sucked in" when you insert it. When the disk is in the drive, this sensor switch goes into "lock" mode; it's purpose is not only to assist in disk loading, but also to prevent "pre-mature ejectulation" while it is running [insert boo'ing sounds for bad pun here lol]. The mechanism is similar to automobile single CD players and the like.

Your best bet, short of opening up your Wii and replacing the sensor-switch yourself in a non-static environment, is to do like Karp said above, and to try to get it serviced by an "unofficial" game repair entity. It should be noted, however, that the cost of the repair MAY be close to the cost of a new Wii at this point, as this is not a cheap part to replace, and does require some time and effort to do.

I have a tri-wing screwdriver coming in the mail. Lets just hope that when I open it that that's NOT the issue. If it is, well, I guess ill be buying a new Wii and ill use the other to hack the **** out of it and play Retro games and stuff.

Never realized ya knew 'bout electronics, Tamps. Wiichat needs moar technicians like you t' help all the troubleshooters.

I'm beginnin' to think that the Wii is handled roughly either through shipment or after a denied repair. It's possible my previous Wii issue was somethin' in the Wii being jammed. After gettin' tossed about in the mail, maybe said jam became unstuck. On the contrary, your drive issue could'a got worse from all the poor treatment.

Regardless, best of luck gettin' your Wii fixed.

Oh, and I ****ing died when I saw ur siggy

And another soul has been enlightened to the majesty of Magikarp. Mission complete. ;)

What exactly should I check on the disc drive when I take it apart? If you could tell me.

Again, I am not a "certified wii service tech," but I can give you a couple basic things:

1) Ensure that all of the electrical connectors inside the drive itself are connected and nothing is "crossed."
2) Ensure that the 'sensors' inside are free or dust and / or foreign materials. Example: no dead insects or dirt. You'd be surprised what you will come across when you open up an electronic device for cleaning and/or repair for the first time!
3) The "optical" sensor that I talked about earlier should be in the "center" position if there is no disk in the drive (it usually moves clockwise to the right when a disk is inserted). If it it is in the "side" position, you should be able to loosen the bracket that holds it to the case with an eye-glass repair screwdriver and re-position it to recenter it. Also, ensure that there are no other metal objects inside the device that could come in contact with the edge of the sensor, as this could also cause the device not to function.
NOTE: The above is a way to adjust a mis-aligned "read/eject" sensor. If the sensor is bad, then it will obviously need to be replaced. Directions for that are much more complicated, as usually this would require a software adjustment that the average user would not normally be able to do...

...and yes CK, I've done some electronics repair work in my day. I am not a "wii expert" but do have a working understanding of CD/DVD player operating parts and designs (side hobby).

Thanks so much, I really hope I can fix this thing, the screwdriver I need should be here tomorrow or the next day, and luckily, I have glasses repairing kits from when I used to fiddle around with my PSP.

Fixed it :D truck you Nintendo! I can do it myself! It was simply a ribbon cable on the inside that must have disconnected from the wii on the way back. I'm gunna take the opportunity to clean the lens and maybe play some BRAWL! I hope it works. ^_^ I didn't have to spend money on a new Wii, and now I can gloat to my girlfriend about how lucky she is to have a tech savy boyfriend. Thanks for the help guys!

By the way! I cleaned the lens and I solved the problem I set out for Nintendo to solve in the first place! Who needs em? I don't! I fixed that without their help!

I knew it, shipping issues caused the (minor) issue. What a bloody surprise. :lol: Glad ya got it fixed bro.

Back