Disc Read Error

PunchOUT!

WiiChat Member
Jan 5, 2008
Hi everyone. I have seen similar threads to the one I am posting, but mine is a little different.

Okay, About 3 days ago, I decided to play a GameCube game (Resident Evil ZERO) on my New Wii. The game played fine. However, when I ejected the game disc and reset the system and put a Wii game in, it started making clicking sounds, and then it gave me Disc Read Errors. It advised me to reset the system, but when I tried to press the reset button, it did not respond. It was just frozen on the error screen. I had to unplug the system. It kept giving me the error screen the next few times I tried to load a game. Finally, after about 5 tries it loaded. Does playing GC games on the Wii cause problems? Why was it giving me this error and making a clicking noise? :wtf:

Mine seems to do that quite often too no matter what i am playing, sometimes i will go for a few days and it will work, then sometimes a couple of times a night it will do the error message thing.

Yea it even does it with mine still even if I'm playing Wii Sports or Zelda Twilight Princess. I just got the thing on Christmas, so it's brand new. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it still clicks and gives the disc read error. Good thing it's under warranty, because now I'm paranoid.

Last edited:
its just a sugestin but when youre done playing umplug the wii,then replug the wii when youre going to play agian(just the power chord) i would give it a try.

I had the same problem. It does seem to work if you shut down the system and unplug it. I can play one game at a time but cannot switch disks. Call customer support. Then sent me a re-manufactured box took 3 days. Just got it today but it works perfect can change disks etc. My only problem is all my data is on the old WII and I don't know how to move it.

Yep, I found another post that told me how. I moved the MII's via the remote. Good thing, my daughter had unlocked about 8 songs on High School Musical sing along so she would not have been happy.

:yesnod:

Mine was doing the same thing after a week and it kept getting worse so I sent it in for repair. They replaced the drive unit and it seems to be fine now.

Back