DisCDefender, (protective film)

08hybridok

WiiChat Member
Jul 13, 2009
So fumbeling throught a shelf today I found an old pack of CDfender, a DiscDefender producet from a few years back, this is a 3step process to add a film to your new & used CD's and games.

So did I just find a cheap way to protect my new games?

The package says it's for new & used CD, CD-R/W's, data disc, Playstation 1 & Computer games. Since these pre date the Wii by a few years, will they work on a Wii to? Is it to old to try (ie the glue won't work anyway?)

Google search & from discdefender dot com

A specially-formulated optical couplant allows the CDfender to stay on the CD without becoming permanently bonded to it.
The special optical couplant on the CDfender fills in minor scratches on the surface of the CD and repairs them.
There is no sell-by or use-by date for CDfender.

I just hate to try and 1) ruin a disc with the 'glue' 2) Ruin the Wii by the film flying off and getting stuck.

Suggestions???

I wouldn't of wasted your money.

Its bad handling of the discs that messes them up
(case and point some Sega Saturn games that I still play are like new)

Looks like that pre-dates DVD's. DVD's have a higher density than CD's plus some DVD's are double layer which require even more precision from the laser. So while they may work for CD's, it's possible that it would introduce just enough distortion to the laser focusing that would render the DVD unreadable.

DiscDefender

I am the co-founder of DiscDefender. The CDfender does predate DVD and will not work on a wii. It wont come off in the player. None of them come off in the player, the centrifugal force of a player makes that impossible since it is centered on the disc. We did come up with a new version that works on Blue Ray but we pretty much shut the company down. We had problems with vendors not paying on time and things like that. To be honest, the product never really took off the way we had hoped. Americans in general dont protect anything very well. We found that the products that were most successfull in that category were disc repair technologies. We had a product that was ready to launch that would repair any disc in seconds and we pulled the plug. Dealing with big retailers is risky business when you are a small company. There is a copy cat out there that has been successfully marketed called D-Skin but the inherant problem with that product is that it clips on to the disc and because of that is not centered perfectly all of the time and can come off in some players and can cause severe vibrations in some machines. We use the exact same film, just a different application process. They also had investors initially dump millions into marketing the product to give it a push. They sold a ton but ultimately lost a bunch of money and it was sold for pennies to a company on some Island off the coast of England I think. The product is still around but still doesnt work well and is expensive.

I hope this answers some of your questions. And to the gentlemen who said its a waste of money, per polls FYI 96% of Disc users describe themselves as irresponsible when it comes to disc care.

Also, the liquid we came up with will fix the disc in less than a minute and the 2oz bottle would have retailed for $7.99 USD and would fix up to 200 discs.

Our website hasnt been updated in over a year and a half and the products shown dont look that way anymore but we dont even fill internet orders any more, it costs to much for us to do the tax paperwork of selling direct for the few orders we actually get.

Thanks,
Jarrid Kopras
Co-Founder DiscDefender,llc

And to the gentlemen who said its a waste of money, per polls FYI 96% of Disc users describe themselves as irresponsible when it comes to disc care.
66.6% of percents are made up on the spot

I happen to have a collection of games/music on CD some are probably older than some people on this site and there still in mint condition and yet I still play them every now and then (Shining Force CD has recently been getting played a lot)

Damage to discs are all down to missuse of the person that owns them

Used to work in a game shop and the state of some of the discs that people tried to off load on us where what could be described as "dragged behind a car then rubbed with sand paper then incorrectly put into a disc doctor for a few hours". the funny thing is they all said "They still work
As we used to tell then "Make sure the games go from the console to the case and not put down on the floor"
(Wont talk about the ones that said over the phone that the disc is "like new" then when I saw it, it had a dent in it

Back