Disk Error When Wifi On?

sykoenigma

WiiChat Member
Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum so be nice. I personally actually do not have a Wii, but I am posting on behalf of my younger female cousin, who luckily just got a Wii for her birthday. She got a brand new Wii from Target, and we unboxed it, connected it to Wifi, set up on the home wireless network (it prompted us for console update- we accepted), and began creating Mii's. After all that, we decided to play the included Wii Sports. No matter what we did, the OOPS! disk error continued to come. We were baffled and went back to Target, and returned the Wii, thinking the disk or the hardware was defective.

We got a new Wii from Target after returning the old one, and did the same thing. Set up the Wii, connected to wifi, installed console update, display settings, turned on 'burn in reduction' and created Miis again. New Wii..same disk error!

After hours of being upset and dissapointed, trying to unplug the console and plug it back in, I somehow thought to disconnect the WiFi and see what happened. Voila- after disconnecting from WiFi- it was able to read my disks!

Can anybody give any insight whatsoever onto this topic? My younger cousin does not need the WiFi- but her father is a network adminstrator and you can imagine his dismay when this odd error occured. We would like to have the Wii connected to the internet and be able to play legally bought games.

Thats an odd one.
But how did you disconnect the Wifi? Was the disk in when you disconnected?
Was the disk a new one also? Other than inserting the disk the wrong way or not letting it fully load before starting 2 bad Wiis is even stranger. Call the Nintendo support number.
They are usually very generous for these weird problems.

by "disconnect the wifi" i mean i deleted "connection 1 - wifi" through the wii options -->internet menu. i cleared out the password and network name as if it never happened, with the disk still in. the disk was brand new (both times) and i put it in correct both times . (label to the right of the console). i tried booting with disk out, disk in.. every possible combination.

Back