DIY wireless sensor bar distance test

Is the battery always warm? It does not say clearly on their web site, but there is at least one user saying the Nyko charge station does stop when the battery is full.

The problem with the chargers is they only do a set amount of time to charge, then they go into a trickle charge no matter what the battery level is at. Those chargers cost around $10-$20 for a universal type charger. I suspect most Wii chargers are this type. That is why they get hot/warm when you put them back on charge not fully discharged.

The correct ones are Intelligent microprocessor controlled and sense the battery level and charge accordingly. They cost $40 or more for a battery charger.

my2cents.

Last edited:
It is going off topic here. But there is another reason I don't like those WiiMote charger which is the standby mode energy consumption. Most of time the WiiMote is sitting on the charge station in standby mode which still consumes a lot of energy. While using a regular battery charger, the energy consumption goes down when there is no battery in it. Of course, it would be even better to unplug the charger when it is not in used. One can also set a timer to cut off power in 15-60minutes if you have a rapid charger.
See the figures on page 24-32 of this document. You will be surprised that over 90% of the energy cost was wasted in standby mode.

Last edited:
not meaning to be a bother but can u tell me like the conclusion and results in like simplified. I cant understand

mk_south_london said:
not meaning to be a bother but can u tell me like the conclusion and results in like simplified. I cant understand

When you are playing any game that requires pointing at the screen, there is a limit of ~8-10ft from the sensor bar. This is due to the spatial resolution of the 2 IR signal at 8" apart inside the sensor bar. By separating the 2 IR signal sources, you can extend the effective pointing distance.

Back