Do Americans say 'mate'?

navarre

Proud Protestant
Jan 26, 2008
Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northe
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
'Mate' is one of my favourite views to use. All my friends use it. Most of my family use it. Truth is, I've never, ever heard an American use it. Here in Britain, and Australia, 'mate' is used a lot of the time to show someone you're their friend. Are Americans even conscious of the word?

rarely hear it in canada, i use it sometimes to say "w.t.f. mate" from the end of the world video

^if anything they're more English, that statement was stupid on so many levels

Haha,

Mate:
V. To copulate
N. 1. A ninny word synonymous to "friend"
2. A gay way to say "wife" or "husband"

nope. here in the states we use friend, bud, dude, dawg, and probably some more crap. i remember when i was in highschool my teacher said that australians use the word mate instead of friend and i said that people from the UK also say it and she got mad at me saying i didnt know what i was talking about and how she always goes to england and never heard anyone say it lol.

No we don't. I have tons of cousins in Ireland, and they don't really say it either. I love their accent though..I love any accent other than American.

Mitch2025 said:
nope. here in the states we use friend, bud, dude, dawg, and probably some more crap. i remember when i was in highschool my teacher said that australians use the word mate instead of friend and i said that people from the UK also say it and she got mad at me saying i didnt know what i was talking about and how she always goes to england and never heard anyone say it lol.

Haha, stupid *****.

Atomheart said:
No. We speak real English here. Not that silly nanny stuff you guys speak.
Not all of the English speak with the retarded slang that a lot of the outer regions have congealed into a "language"

Some of us speak real English. And by that, I mean REAL English, not your broken American :lol:

DRMARIO said:
Actually, you speak American English.

We speak English..Queen's English.

well said.

you'd think even the most stupid among us would make the correlation that by the fact it's called 'english' means that it would be spoken properly in england, as opposed to other cultures take on our language.

Back